Depth

I was reading some of the General NFL message board on NFL.com yesterday and they had a topic..."best 2nd string QB". Kitna was the obvious favorite which made me think, I'm glad we have him but there are 6-10 starting QB's out there wnom he is obviously superior to. And then I thought what a wealth of really decent players we have whom are not pegged to start this year...I thought I'd make a list.

John Kitna (QB)

Keiwan Ratliff (CB)

Duane Clemons (DE)

Langston Moore (DT)

Larry Moore (C/G)

Peter Warrick (WR)

Reggie Myles (DB)

Odell Thurman (LB)

Chris Henry (WR)

Chris Perry (RB)

Caleb Miller (LB)

Nate Webster (LB)

Khalid Abdullah (LB)

Stacy Andrews (T)

Matt Schobel (TE)

Anthony Mitchel (S)

I'd say we have pretty good depth...4 years ago many of these guys would have (or did) start for us. I like our 2nd team a lot. But as of right now, they just aren't good enough. That's a good feeling.

Wow, I knew that we had all those guys but when you stack it up like that.. . I don't know.. I didn't realise that we had that many quality backups.

I like the list of backups but one change I would make and that is P-Dub in place of Kelley Washington. I think Washington still has a lot to prove to become the starting 3rd reciever. P-Dub will have the starting recieving job.

I think he had TJ and Chad starting at WR and Washington gone bye-bye -- well, that's what it should be.

This may be true...I thought we only started 2 WR (TJ and CJ)? TE, FB, RB, QB, WR, WR, T, T, G, G, C...(that's 11) or am I wrong? I wonder...is this the kind of solid depth that playoff teams and Super Bowl teams enjoy? Or are they even deeper.

But of course, if I had made this list last year TJ wouldn't have even been on it since he wasn't even on the radar screen. There are probably sleeper players out there who might not be very impressive right now but if they are given a chance due to injury they may really come into their own (ala Rudi). I think our team has done a good job digging these guys up and letting them shine...or maybe it's just dumb luck, or maybe every team does this, or maybe only good teams do this (ala Tom Brady).

As I read message boards, there seems to be a lot of mystery around what the Bengals might be this year, just like Arizona and the Vikes. I don't think we put fear in anyone yet...but maybe a little concern (whether they are willing to admit it fully or not).

that list of depth isnt that stellar. its good at certain positions, but at others its lacking. i think we'll make the playoffs this year, but next year theres a few more pieces that we need to win the superbowl.

This may be true...I thought we only started 2 WR (TJ and CJ)?  TE, FB, RB, QB, WR, WR, T, T, G, G, C...(that's 11) or am I wrong?  I wonder...is this the kind of solid depth that playoff teams and Super Bowl teams enjoy?  Or are they even deeper.

Who knows.

Hobson and Curnette have both played with an idea of having a 3-WR style offense (or single-back) rather than the typical formation that's been hinted, but not confirmed, from Bengals coaches.