Here's a crazy idea...

NJ29

Okay, this is an extreme long shot, but special teams ace and former cornerback Reggie Myles is in the process of gaining 20 lbs and getting stronger in order to make the switch to safety. Does anybody think that, if he is stronger, he has a chance of playing alongside Madieu at safety? It would give the Bengals the fastest safety tandem in the league, and also one o the youngest.

This probably hasn't crossed the minds of many just because I think most of us have only seen Reg as a special teams guy. Anybody else think he has a shot at the safety job with added strength?

:player:

Very true about losing him from special teams. But I have to believe that there will be somebody there to pick up the slack.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see Landon play SS at some point this year....Kinda like the team is not making any coaching changes only to watch the DC go out the door 2 days later. And for the same reason -- it improves the team.

FS is not a problem at all, even if Madieu has to move to shutdown CB or pull the 8th in the box (as long as the RB is no bigger than Droughns).

SS could be the problem. Herring is as gunshy as anything else IMO because of the metal rod in his forearm where he shattered it. I don't see him laying it all on the line in the box when he knows he can extend out his career a few more years at FS w/ some other team.

I like Mitchell because he's got some cold-blooded killer instinct but do not think he has the athleticism to consistently shift from deep coverage to the point of attack at the LOS.

If they want to add a 5th safety, I'd prefer they sign Mike Logan if the Steelers release him after June 1 rather than rely on Myles or Roberts in any meaningful capacity because I doubt think either can chore the 8th in the box well enough to fix the problem that has become obvious vs. the run.

Myles should be available as FS just like he was as nickel CB when needed (and he did a damn fine job vs. Hines Ward). Roberts had a great pre-season last year but he's not secured his value on the field enough to make the roster this year IMO. Roberts comp this year seem to be with K2 more than Myles who will make the team because he is an outstanding gunner.

So I hear you Kazkal...The real comp for spots on D is at MLB and 3rd down at DE rather than between K2 and Roberts for a backup FS/emergency SS/CB spot.

I don't expect Landon to play SS at all this year. He seems to be the starter at MLB right now, and I think there's a reason for that.

There is no doubt in my mind that Reggie Myles can hold up against bigger players. He is adding weight, 20 lbs, and I think that will make him that much stronger. Plus, have you seen him absolutely just light people up on special teams? This guy just plain loves to hit people.

I agree on your take of Kim Herring though, I think he will be tentative, but I don't see Landon playing strong safety at all. If you don't think Mitchell has enough quickness, how do you expect a MLB to hold his own at SS?

Has anyone heard anything about Caleb Miller possibly moving to SS? I seem to remember some ML comment back before the draft that suggested he was thinking about shifting some (unidentified) LB to safety. I've been listening, but I haven't heard anything since then. Miller always seemed pretty quick last year, but undersized and sometimes out of position. I wonder if (a) he's quick enough to make the transition and (B) if he can play in space to the extent required. Just wondering becuase I tend to think Landon's cemented at MLB at least for the first several games. I don't see ML moving him.

Of Course, that linebacker could be a rookie free agent or Practice squad guy that could make the switch. Like Allen Augustin or Cedric Sullivan.

Maybe the rook, Undraftred free agent Patrick Body out of Toledo, who runs a 4.3 flat, can sneak into the mix and take a roster spot.

Of Course, that linebacker could be a rookie free agent or Practice squad guy that could make the switch. Like Allen Augustin or Cedric Sullivan.

Maybe the rook, Undraftred free agent Patrick Body out of Toledo, who runs a 4.3 flat, can sneak into the mix and take a roster spot.

I read or heard on one of the interviews that Body is being targeted for corner. I was hoping for him at safety, too, until I saw that.

I think with all the talk of Pollack switching to LB and Marvin liking versatile defenders (and Myles doing whatever it takes to get a starting job) that people are getting the impression that professional football coaches think shuffling around their players is a common, desirable option.

Landon Johnson is a linebacker. He is not a safety. He was drafted as an OLB, he's good enough to play the MLB spot for now, but as soon as Odell is acclimated to the pro game, he will replace Simmons and Odell will be the MLB.

While certainly anything is possible (especially when injuries start happening), I don't think it's likely that Marvin is looking LB's into CB's, SS's or FS's. If anything the guys being talked up for conversion will get themselves cut to make room for a legitimate starting SS.

I agree on your take of Kim Herring though, I think he will be tentative, but I don't see Landon playing strong safety at all. If you don't think Mitchell has enough quickness, how do you expect a MLB to hold his own at SS?

Watching Landon on TV don't do justice to the range he has in coverage. I was in awe of how much range Landon really has after watching him from the stands.

IIRC, other people have said Landon played some SS at Purdue. 40-wise he proly won't avg. but 4.6 flat in 10 tries (about like Thomas Davis) but his field awareness and ability to backpedal, swivel, and close on the ball neutralize some of that lack of pure speed.

While he'll likely not play any SS this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a 4th LB effectively playing SS on likely running downs vs. teams like Ratbirds and Steelers w/ big RBs.

The Bengals run D suffered w/ the loss of Rogers Beckett last year, who made up for what he lacked in coverage skills w/ his intensity vs. run. Maybe the switcheroos on the D-line, the addition of Bryan Robinson, and the rooks at LB stop some of the clean shots big RBs get to the second level where a hard-hitting SS would help boost the run D. Then again, maybe not.

But I agree w/ Bren there. Landon is ideally Simmons heir-apparent at WSLB as long as his shoulders hold up.