Pittsburgh, Super Bowl Run?

You know this is the time of year when three out of five teams in the NFL have such types of articles written up on them by their local rag writers! Come October, most are wondering what they the hell they were drinking at the time they wrote it!

True that everyone thinks there are poised but there are several teams that have a legit shot at making a run. Pitt is certainly one of them. They are still one of the most complete teams in football. Ben will miss Plax and their running game may not be as effective as last year but I still think they are one of the AFC favories. They won't have a 15-1 type season again but they could easily be a 12-4 team.

they could easily be a 12-4 team

That could go 12-4 ...

But I wouldn't put the word "easily" in there.

They could just as "easily" go 9-7 ...

Palx was Ben's favorite receiver, it remains to be seen if that gap can be filled.

But it is more than that ...

There are unanswered questions about Ben himself.

I happen to Like Big Ben and think that he will be a good NFL QB.

But near the end of the season and into the play offs, when he had to carry more of the load of the offense through the passing game, he looked very much like the rookie that he was.

If the Steeler's running game slips and Ben can't pick up the slack right away their offense may be in for a tumble.

I'm still scared of the Steelers, because they still have that stifling D and even if they lost Plax, Big Ben is smart enough to not make the same mistakes he made in the playoffs. Plus, they have Heath Miller, and Antwaan Randle-El is a huge threat too.

But they still have to overcome two losses to the Bengals this season. :P :player:

I know I sound like a broken record but the key to football is being strong on both lines. Pittsburgh's O-line is as agood as any and they have a strong front 7 as well. Listen it pains me that I am defending this team, but they are still very good. I don't see them going 9-7. AFC North will be a tough division this year...its about time ;) .

Their O-line gets a youth infusion this year at RT and backup G. Whether that weakens them up front remains to be seen.

Bellichick pretty much showed the rest of the teams how to deal w/ Big Ben: not only force him to stay in the pocket but adjust the pass rush to maintain a pocket rather than break the pocket in trying for sacks.

As for Plax, he's an underachiever and Pittsburgh really shouldn't miss him much. It was funny to watch D-Abe shut him down in the playoffs in single coverage despite giving up about a half-foot in height.

A healthy Heath Miller and Cedric Wilson plus deep ball options w/ Fred Gibson IMO looks like it has made the Pittsburgh receiving corps better w/o Plax.

I keep hearing the same thing about Big Ben, that people have now figured him out based on one season and in particular his rookie plays in the play offs. That's it, his career's over, teams will know how to deal with him. He can't and wont develop as a player.

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. Sometimes rookies do get better. But shhhh, keep it to yourself.

Not so much that his career is over than it is that his development begins in earnest. His strengths out of the pocket were exceptional last year and teams will be better prepared to keep him in the pocket where he seemed less comfortable than on-the-run.

Whether teams approach him the way the Pats did in the playoffs or the way the Bengals did in 2nd game, they will be better prepared to deal w/ Big Ben next year.

But Big Ben will be a solid pocket passer as he develops, especially as he's given more targets. His success was no fluke and his abilities will help keep the Steelers in contention for post-season year after year. It's not like we're talking about Kyle Boller here.