ESPN Live Mock Draft

Williamson is about the only guy that I'd be OK with the Bengals taking on the offensive side (that has a chance to drop to us).

Did anyone else notice the absence of Heath Miller in the 1st round?

Did anyone else notice Matt Jones being taken in the 1st round? I view Jones in the same light that I viewed Willis McGahee two years ago. Too much potential excitement for somebody not to pull the trigger in the 1st round, especially a team like Pittsburgh or Philadelphia who have no glaring needs and/or have a lot of picks.

South Carolina junior Troy Williamson passed up an opportunity to play in Steve Spurrier's offense to enter the 2005 NFL draft. Troy has been a three-year starter for the gamecocks, but hasn't put up huge numbers as a deep threat in a run-oriented offense. Williamson burst onto the scene as a freshman with nearly 500 yards on just 17 receptions, averaging over 28 yards per catch. He has a career average of just under 20 yards per catch in his three seasons. At 6'2", 200 pounds, he has good size, but he would benefit from adding another 10-12 pounds of bulk and increasing his strength. He isn't a very physical receiver, but the former track star is among the fastest receivers in the draft. He is a true "home run threat" who can take it the distance everytime he touches the football. He holds South Carolina's record for the longest reception with his 99 yard grab against 15th ranked Virginia in 2003. He is an excellent open field runner who can take a short slant and turn it into a long gain. He isn't a great possession receiver and won't catch a pass over the middle in traffic. He has good hands but he needs to improve on his blocking and route running to become a more complete receiver. Until he improves in those areas, he won't be a true #1 receiver in the NFL. He will be more effective with a good receiver on the other side of the field, much like Lee Evans is and Peerless Price once was with Eric Moulds on the other side. He is a one-dimensional receiver at this point, but his game breaking ability should make him a hot comodity on draft day. He has a good chance to be a first round pick in April.

NFL Comparison: Lee Evans - Big play pass catchers who can really stretch the field, but don't offer much as possession receivers.

by Greg Benjamin

Execpt for Ronnie Brown dropping to Houston and no Heath Miller I think it is a great mock. I think Matt Jones will be taken in the first round but by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I would be very happy to see us draft Troy Williamson. The only other reciever I would be ok with at 17 is Senior Bowl MVP Mark Clayton but i like Williamson better.

I definitely would rather see us draft a great defensive player. The only way that will happen is...HOPE THAT NEW ORLEANS DOES NOT DRAFT THOMAS DAVIS

if THomas Davis is gone, and Williamson and James are still there... I can garuntee you we spend the whole 15mins....it will be everyone in the war room of the bengals have their say on who we should draft...Most likely if Bob bratkowski tells Marvin we really should draft Williamson, I think Marvin will in the end take Williamson.

James has a better probabilty to become a bust.

wow. that video was tight. makes me want to have him line up opposite chad and have either peter or housh at the slot. KW can go bye bye for all i care after seeing that. BUT, i would still rather take jones.

if THomas Davis is gone, and Williamson and James are still there... I can garuntee you we spend the whole 15mins....it will be everyone in the war room of the bengals have their say on who we should draft...Most likely if Bob bratkowski tells Marvin we really should draft Williamson, I think Marvin will in the end take Williamson.

James has a better probabilty to become a bust.

I would be pretty happy with either Williamson or James if Davis is gone. I just don't think Williamson will actually be there. ESPN has a draft special on tv right now and they're doing a mock too. They just had Williamson go to Minny at 7.

They're only up to 12 right now, so it's probably 10-15 minutes until they get to the Bengals.

I think the vikings will suprise us and take williamson with #7. If SanDiego doesnt take him could Mike Williams land to us? i HOPE im right and so should all bengals fans

If SanDiego doesnt take him could Mike Williams land to us? i HOPE im right and so should all bengals fans

Well I'm sure Carson Palmer would like to throw to his old college chum again. Whatever Marvin says, but there wouldn't be too many folks shocked with him actually falling to 17, or us drafting him there. Fit's the BPA mantra...

I've got to dissent on the the Williamson love-fest. I don't think that we have enough need at wideout compared to other positions now (DE, SS) and for the future (center) to use the 1st rounder on one.

If a high-profile skill position player falls to our slot, let's hope that we (1) know other teams' needs/wants well enough to be able to leverage it against them and get an advantageous trade-down value AND (2) pick the right player after trading down (with the 26th selection in the 2003 draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Chris. . . hey, they mispronounced "Gamble" - made it sound like "Perry").

If Thomas Davis and Marcus Spears are already gone, listen to offers for Williamson, Carlos Rogers (think about picking him, though), Alex Barron or any of the other "steals" that may fall to us in positions that we don't need to win soon. If another team thinks that they can get good value on talent vs. signing cost, they'll overpay us in picks/players if we play them right.

Brat's got plenty of toys already - the only picks I'd make on that side are a center for the future (round 2 - 4 depending on availability) and a wideout who can also contribute to special teams on day 2 (Terrence Murphy, Roscoe Parrish, Courtney Roby or Jerome Mathis). If we do pick up an extra 3rd rounder or else if a coachable TE with potential (Kevin Everett, Joel Dreessen) falls into round 4 or beyond, I'd bite on that, too.

Note on Heath Miller: Sportingnews.com is reporting that yesterday's OAK/NYJ trade shows how dinged up Miller must be - remember that the Jets' forgiving medical staff was the only one who cleared Jonathan Vilma last year and that worked for them. So if they can't give the thumbs-up to Miller, something's really wrong with him.

I've got to dissent on the the Williamson love-fest. I don't think that we have enough need at wideout compared to other positions now (DE, SS) and for the future (center) to use the 1st rounder on one.

Don't count me as exactly a part of love feat thing for Williams. I agree with you that we're relatively strong at WR, compared to other positions. I would prefer to see linebacker, defensive end or strong saftey drafted early.

Besides, we can't forget Marvins BPA policy, as well as the surprise we got a year ago, as you funnily alluded to:

(with the 26th selection in the 2003 draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Chris. . . hey, they mispronounced "Gamble" - made it sound like "Perry"). 

ESPN has a draft special on tv right now and they're doing a mock too. They just had Williamson go to Minny at 7.

They're only up to 12 right now, so it's probably 10-15 minutes until they get to the Bengals.

Wow, what a show. The Bengals pick ended up being Erasmus James. No complaints from me. Highlites of the show included....

Merrill Hodge simply dogged Aaron Rogers in every way possible. Just mauled him. Said that none of his play in college translates to the NFL. Nothing but short passes and bubble screens that inflate his completion percentage. Has all the tools but zero experience doing the things an NFL QB will be asked to do. You had to hear it. Just brutal stuff.

Mike Williams fared no better and this time it wasn't just Hodge doing the dinging. Poor work ethic, slow, lumbering, incapable of forcing a defense to adjust it's coverage. Will never develope into a #1 option. Should have success in the redzone but can't get seperation. Has to be bookended with a speed WR or could bust outright. But Kiper loved him and once again called him the best player in the draft prompting laughter from Randy Mueller(sp?). At the end Hodge was heard ripping him again prompting Meuller to say Williams wasn't THAT bad. Oh, and if you haven't guessed by now Williams wasn't drafted until AFTER the Bengals picked.

The player drafted in the 1st round who is most likely to "flame out"? Derrick Johnson. He went 10th in the draft but you'd never guess that after hearing the way he was reamed. The most damaging charge is that Johnson goes for the knockout blow too often and misses a ton of tackles as a result of never wrapping up.

Heath Miller got plenty of love from everyone on the panel, but it took Kiper mocking him to the Steelers at #30 to make him a 1st rounder.

A very fun show.

I watched that thing yesterday, and was laughing my arse off ! I think they play good cop/bad cop on these players really really well.

Merrill Hoge * - Aaron Rodgers will collapse a franchise !! -- That's a classic statement.

Mel " The Hair " Kiper - Mike Williams is a Hall of famer !! -- Boy nothing like having everything you say on tape so it can be shoved back into your mouth and forced fed every year !!!

* Gotta say this though, I'm so glad Randy Mueller agrees with me that Carlos Rogers is a much better cornerback than Adam "Pac-Man" Jones. I'm glad to see an actual GM and director of player personell admit to the obvious !!

- Also If the draft were to actually take place like that, Either we take Mike Williams, or we use him to trade down.!

I like E. James, and I like Justin Tuck. I think both of these guys will be impact defensive ends.

I too thought that mock draft was INTERESTING -- but not very real.

I love the part where the Mueller (sp?) straightened out Mel about David Pollack. I really have some concerns about Mel's talent assessment this year. Based on tape reviews and Combine numbers, I believe that "Hair" Kiper has missed the boat on several players.

I've been neutral about James -- until recently. Based on another mock draft TV show, Erasmus James has a serious hip injury. The analyst described the injury as "dead hip".

If the Bengals are going to draft James, I would have thought they would have brought him in for a physical by our doctors.

I'm still hoping for David Pollack or Mark Clayton.

If Mike Williams falls to us, I would have a tough time passing on him, because I believe he would be AWESOME on the other side from CD with TJ running the slot

I'm having data overload :blink::huh::rolleyes:

For the first round ,in order, I would like to see us draft

1. Thomas Davis S Georgia

2. Troy Williamson WR S.Carolina

3. Mike Williams WR USC

4. Erasmus James DE Wisconsin

5. Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

6. Heath Miller TE Virginia

7. Matt Jones WR Arkansas

8. David Pollack DE Georgia

9. Roddy White WR UAB