Bengals TEs

jjakq27

My take is that ML and BB look at the Tight End position as merely an extension of the offensive line 90% of the time.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../504200310/1066

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Lewis voices support for TE trio

NFL notebook

By Mark Curnutte

Enquirer staff writer

Coach Marvin Lewis on Tuesday defended the performances of the team's tight ends but left open the possibility that the Bengals might draft one.

Virginia's Heath Miller, despite having undergone hernia surgery, is the top-rated tight end available in the NFL draft this weekend. He could be available when the Bengals draft at No. 17 in the first round.

"That's going to play into your decision-making," Lewis said of Miller's injury and how a team might look at him. "I'm sure that affects where he does go in the draft."

But Lewis likes his trio of tight ends - starter Reggie Kelly, Matt Schobel and Tony Stewart - and said there is more to their role in the offense than catching passes.

"I think they've done a fine job," Lewis said of the three. "You always look to get better. I don't know how we're going to get them to catch more balls. We're going to split it in thirds?

"When I took this job, there was a concern among our offensive coaches that we couldn't block the point of attack at tight end. I have not ever heard that raised once since. That's the No. 1 job."

Lewis also said Kelly, Schobel and Stewart play a big role in pass protection.

NEW YORK CONNECTION: Scouting consultant Earl Biederman and Brown family friend Jack Clary will represent the Bengals in New York this weekend at the draft. Pete Brown, the club's senior vice president for player personnel, will relay the Bengals' draft choices by phone to New York.

DRAFT SHOW: The Bengals will air, for the third consecutive year, a TV special about this weekend's NFL draft. "On the Clock" will air from 7-8 p.m. today on WKRC-TV (Channel 12).

STEROID PANEL: The congressional committee that investigated steroid use in baseball will turn its investigation to the same problem in football. The panel said Tuesday it will ask NFL officials and union representatives to testify at a hearing next week.

Invited to the April 27 hearing are NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Gene Upshaw, vice president of the NFL Players Association, and Harold Henderson, the NFL's executive vice president for labor relations.

REVENUE-SHARING: NFL owners again found little common ground on the issue of revenue-sharing Tuesday in Atlanta.

How much money the richest teams should share with the smaller-market teams continues to stand in the way of progress toward a new collective bargaining agreement with the players. Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, one of the high-revenue owners, had a quick response when asked if there had been any progress in the revenue-sharing debate at Tuesday's special meeting at an Atlanta airport hotel. "None," Jones said.

The Associated Press

If Marvin truly wants a faster offense, then He's not going to get it at the Tight End position especially in this year's draft.

The only and I repeat ONLY Tight end to post a faster '40 time than 4.6-anything was Jerome Collins' 4.53. He's been a topic of discussion before, and needless to say, he has more holes in his game than a NET. - hopefully his quickness will lead to being a very productive delivery man, cause he's doubtful at best to even being an UDFA, let alone drafted.

My take is that ML and BB look at the Tight End position as merely an extension of the offensive line 90% of the time.

Like I said in another thread, you may as well rename every TE on the roster Max Protect until the Bengals decide to change how the position is featured in the offensive scheme. I'm sure Schobels progress has been slowed by injuries but the recent article about him points out how little playing time he's actually missed. So instead of asking where the production is...shouldn't we be wondering why Schobel has gotten so few opportunities when playing?

Like I said in another thread, you may as well rename every TE on the roster Max Protect until the Bengals decide to change how the position is featured in the offensive scheme. I'm sure Schobels progress has been slowed by injuries but the recent article about him points out how little playing time he's actually missed. So instead of asking where the production is...shouldn't we be wondering why Schobel has gotten so few opportunities when playing?

Could it be that Schoebel drops the damned ball too much when he is given playing time?

Could it be that Schoebel drops the damned ball too much when he is given playing time?

Yeah, that COULD be it. In fact, if you're trying to imply that the Bengals are actually forced to use their TE's as blockers rather than pass catchers due to their inferior play then you're off to a fine start. Now all you have to do is find the stats or coaches comments that prove Schobel is a much poorer pass receiver than the TE's who play for NFL teams who feature the position more. Since that would include almost every other team in the NFL you should be able to produce a long list of TE's who drop the ball less than Schobel.

Funny thing though, I wouldn't bother. Because if you scroll back to the first post in this thread you'll find where the head coach of this team just commented on how satisfied he is with his current TE's and how each of the Bengals current TE's play..."big role in pass protection."

Again, I don't doubt for a second that on some level the Bengals don't desire an upgrade at the TE position. They may even draft a player they feel is an upgrade in the coming draft if things fall that way. But c'mon, there aren't many options in this draft who look capable of opening up this offense more than Schobel could if given the chance.

We have 3 fair TEs Stewart is a hell of a blocker, Schobel a decent reciever and Kelly does alil of both. Our problem is that we dont have a stand out every down TE who can do it all. Kelly is probubly closest.

you are friggin crazy or dont watch the games. kelley cant catch for s**t. he is a blocker flat out. stewart can do both, but neither any good, about avg on each. schobel cant block for s**t but can catch and run routes. that is our te situation. crappy.

IMHO, the strongest argument for upgrading the TE slot isn't that it would improve our attack (tho it probably would) or that it would help disguise our playcalling more (tho it probably would), but that it would likely enable us to free up a roster slot. Counting Brad St. Louis, we have what, 4 TEs? For a position that we all appear to agree the Bengals don't make much use of...that seems like a waste of space

the strongest argument for upgrading the TE slot isn't that it would improve our attack (tho it probably would) or that it would help disguise our playcalling more (tho it probably would), but that it would likely enable us to free up a roster slot. Counting Brad St. Louis, we have what, 4 TEs?

Intriguing point, Joisey Cat.

IMHO, the strongest argument for upgrading the TE slot isn't that it would improve our attack (tho it probably would) or that it would help disguise our playcalling more (tho it probably would), but that it would likely enable us to free up a roster slot. Counting Brad St. Louis, we have what, 4 TEs? For a position that we all appear to agree the Bengals don't make much use of...that seems like a waste of space

St. Louis is an emergency tight end. He is a long snapper, and he does a damned good job of it. He was never drafted to actually line up as a tight end.

Is he good enough to be the #3 tight end? In my book, absolutely. But we don't have two guys who are #1/#2 quality tight ends. We have a guy who is a damned good blocker with concrete hands, a guy who's claim to fame is his soft hands that drops the ball when it's 3rd down and we need the 1st, and we have a guy who's, as Randy Jackson of American Idol would say, Aiight.

We need a good quality tight end who can block and catch. There really isn't one in this draft worth taking in round 1, and there probably isn't going to be one worth taking left by round 2, pick #17.