Greatest Draft Anticipation ever!

walzav29

I can't take it!!!! Not only have I read a mock draft saying the Bengals will take one of these guys.

Roddy White

Travis Johnson

Mark Clayton

Erasmus James

David Pollack

Marcus Spears

Shawn Merriman

Thomas Davis

Antaj Hawthorne

Carlos Rogers

But I don't even know who I want them to take. Here is some logic that makes sense out of the 5000 draft articles I have read. Would you say that the defensive players that are listed are better than Matthias Askew and Robert Geathers? If they are not, then why not take Mark Clayton? He is more of a sure thing than anything else, and then grab more guys in the later rounds. I think Clayton is going to be great. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you say that the defensive players that are listed are better than Matthias Askew and Robert Geathers? If they are not, then why not take Mark Clayton? He is more of a sure thing than anything else, and then grab more guys in the later rounds. I think Clayton is going to be great. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, how could anyone possibly know in any way how good any one player who's drafted will actually turn out to be in the NFL? They don't!

Also, FYI here, "Sure Things" DO NOT EXIST!! Nor have they ever existed! There do exist some "Pretty-Good-Odds" things, but that as good as it gets.

It's a crapshoot, from the 1st to the last player drafted. It remains the same for all of them. Nobody knows, you can only hope your teams picks work out.

There are always good "can't miss" receivers in the draft, every last damned year at least 3 to 4 guys are there. We have CJ, TJ, P-dub, and Kelly Washington. That's a sure #1 and 3 guys who are good enough to fight for the #2 and #3 spot.

Lets look at each of them.

CJ: One of the best in the league. Pro Bowl #3 coming soon to a stadium near you (if you live in Hawaii).

Kelly Washington: Year 3. We saw flashes of brilliance in his rookie year, but his sophmore year was nothing to write home about. Guess what, THIS IS NORMAL. Many GREAT wideouts haven't matured until their 3rd season.

TJ: Pootie Tang runs better routes than CJ sometimes, and he says he's as good as CJ. I hope he's right, and after sitting out a full season with people calling for him to be cut due to injury, he came back and filled in and we all said he should be paid well this year. So long as he doesn't let the money go to his head, we are set.

Pdub: Ok, so he hasn't lived up to his high draft pick. He had his best season in the first season in which he had only one quarterback. Just like TJ, he's had an entire season to rest and recover, and if he gets back to where he was before the injury, he will be better than drafting a receiver in round 1. Why? Because he knows the playbook, and he knows Palmer. He will probably be fine, sign a new contract as a free agent with the Bengals for a more reasonable payout, and we will be chanting his name for years to come.

So, with what we have, the depth at wide receiver in ANY draft, including this one, why pick a wideout on the first day?

the offense has enough weapons to score alot of points...

the defense couldnt stop AFCN opponents from running the ball down their throats and out their ass ( 162 yards a game ) hence 2-4 against division rivals

the AFCN is a north south running division..

Unless you stop the run you lose plain and simple.

Bryan Robinson is a stopgap.. nothing more.

The team needs a SS that can help stop the run in the worst way

The best SS is Thomas Davis and anyone who thinks Marvin Lewis doesnt have his sights set on him isnt thinking properly...

If he's gone when they pick the team goes with the best DT or DE available.

Ill let you all guess who that may be.. (Hopefully Travis Johnson or Marcus Spears would be there )

If Thomas Davis is gone, which he will be unless the Chiefs pass and the Saints trade down, we trade down. I was thinking a month ago there wouldn't be much draft day trading, but now I'm thinking there will be and I think the Bengals will be able to take advantage of that. I have no real desire to stay at #17 IMO. Won't be long now !!!

WHODEY !!!

according to your list of mock drafts, and the fact that marvin always tricks us... i see us (and hope) drafting Chris Spencer to be our future center... i would love to see thomas davis and eramus james would be nice too imo...

I would agree, but Marvin might be trying to really confuse us this year by making us think that he has a master plan to draft Chris Spencer (by not signing Richie, by praising Moore, and talking about other guys while just saying Spencer is a good player). Then, now when we start to think he is planning to trade down to pick up Spencer, we have to wonder is this what he wanted us to do? Does he really not want Spencer at all and intend to pick Incognito on day 2 and sign Richie after the draft? What if he actually wants Luis Castillo or Brodney Poole, or who knows who that is slated to go around 17 and wants us (and the rest of the NFL) to think he has a certain guy targeted?

ARRRRGH this is fun but nerve racking!

Dominating offense that will score more than our defense gives up. Average defense, dominating offense. Ready, break. :player:

Whoa, WHOA! Huddle back up a second! If I'm not mistaken, that "average defense, dominating offense" recipe is the same that was used to craft both of the previous teams that went to Super Bowls, am I right? :)

And if I'm also not mistaken, the Cincinnati Bengals LOST each time, did they not?

"Average defense, dominating offense" is also descriptive to a "T" of the "offensively-powerful-but-defensively-average-and-ALWAYS-bounced-out-of-the-playoffs-by-teams-with-GOOD-defense," Indianapolis Colts! They'll always be the Bridesmaid, and never the Bride type of team due to the disparity between the offense and the defense.

Peyton Manning, as great a QB as I'll admit that he is, is nothing more than this generations Dan Marino! Until the Colts defense is as solid as the offense (like it is with the Super Bowl Champion Patriots for instance!!) They'll likely never see a Super Bowl, much less win one!

Sooo, since the Bengals are this close already, why not aim just a wee bit higher, and go for a more balanced composition, and strive for a higher goal of having both the offense and the defense to be above average/dominating? Teams like that don't usually lose Super Bowls, or quickly fade from being a competitive team a year after appearing from one!

"Average defense, Dominating offense" won't cut it anymore in the NFL. Nor will the reverse "Average offense, dominating defense!" Haven't you seen the Ravens frustration with that!?! You must have balance to be NFL Champions!

As the wise Confucius once said:

Your teams "yin" best be equal to your teams "yang"

Or your team will never be, the next big thang!

Okay, now BREAK! I'm going to go make another drink! :rolleyes:

So, with what we have, the depth at wide receiver in ANY draft, including this one, why pick a wideout on the first day?

To keep Baltimore & Pittsburgh from having a legit #2 WR?

Unfortunately that logic is why we traded up so we could get David Klingler instead of the Browns..... :wacko:

To keep Baltimore & Pittsburgh from having a legit #2 WR?

If you spend your draft picking players just to keep your opponent from drafting them, you get what THEY need, not what YOU need.

You don't make your team better, you just hope you keep them the same.

This isn't the way to the Super Bowl.

I SAY DRAFT MIKE WILLIAMS AT ANY TRADE UP COST. CAN YOU IMAGINE THE SCORING POTENTIAL WITH A 4 WR RUN AND SHOOT.  OH  S**T. I WOULD FREAKTHEF**KOUT IF WE TRADED UP FOR HIM.

Forget Mike Williams. The Bengals would have to give up too much to be in a position to draft him.

Vincent Jackson can be just as good and may have even more potential than Williams. To top it off, he can probably be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round. How's THAT for a steal?

4 WRs? So when are June Jones and Mouse Davis coming back with the Run and Shoot?

Well said, Billy!!

Although at this point I think I'd be pretty happy to lose a Super Bowl.

Uh... I understand what you're saying by that, meaning it's been so long since the Bengals saw post season play, just being there would be worth taking the loss.

I almost want to agree, but I just can't. I have no idea how old you are but you must not be old enough to remember the two previous losses. To say it was a sickening bad and rotten feeling, or it hurt, sucked, blew, etc...just isn't descriptive enough to relate how awful, depressed, and empty it left the Cincinnati fans feeling. I lost a huge living room window when I launched the TV remote through it right after San Fran got the TD! I simply can't afford another window! :rolleyes:

When Montana completed that touchdown pass that stole the victory that was for all intents and purposes IN OUR COLLECTIVE FREAKIN' HANDS, and left the Bengals with defeat instead, is just a feeling I never want to feel again! At least not until I get to savor how it feels to win a Super Bowl first!!

Then...maybe. Until then...sorry, not good enough. I could much easier deal with any other playoff loss, but please God! I'll take a pass on the Super Bowl losses from here on out!

How Buffalo's fans endured 5 straight years of going to the Super Bowl, only to get their heart ripped out is beyond me! Maybe that's why they were mostly such a**h***s when they visited our forum! I guess if there is such a thing as a valid excuse for being an a**h***...that might be it. <_<

How Buffalo's fans endured 5 straight years of going to the Super Bowl, only to get their heart ripped out is beyond me! Maybe that's why they were mostly such a**h***s when they visited our forum! I guess if there is such a thing as a valid excuse for being an a**h***...that might be it. <_<

Ahhhh Marv Levy, couldn't have happened to a better coach... I sat all those seasons irritated as hell to watch the Bills keep going to the SB, because I just hated Levy so much. IMO, he's the biggest crybaby, bitchboy coach ever... Then to see them lose time after time after time, etc. was just heaven !!! Still hate the Bills today, just because of how much I couldn't stand Levy then...

Oh yeah Billy, have to agree with not wanting to feel the loss of another SB before getting to win one... That SUCKED bigtime !!!

WHODEY !!!