Who's picking while the clock is ticking?

oldschooler

Who's picking while the clock is ticking?

GMs mostly have final say on choice

By Paul Kuharsky

The Tennessean

WHO CALLS THE SHOTS

Who has the final word when it comes to picking players in the NFL draft?

Arizona: Coach Dennis Green

Atlanta: GM Rich McKay

Baltimore: GM Ozzie Newsome

Buffalo: GM Tom Donahoe

Carolina: GM Marty Hurney

Chicago: GM Jerry Angelo

Cincinnati: President Mike Brown

Cleveland: GM Phil Savage

Dallas: Owner Jerry Jones and Coach Bill Parcells

Denver: Coach Mike Shanahan

Detroit: GM Matt Millen

Green Bay: GM Ted Thompson

Houston: GM Charlie Casserly

Indianapolis: GM Bill Polian

Jacksonville: VP Player Personnel James Harris

Kansas City: GM Carl Peterson

Miami: Coach Nick Saban

Minnesota: Director of College Scouting Scott Studwell

New England: Coach Bill Belichick

New Orleans: GM Mickey Loomis

N.Y. Giants: GM Ernie Accorsi

N.Y. Jets: GM Terry Bradway

Oakland: Owner Al Davis

Philadelphia: Coach Andy Reid

Pittsburgh: Coach Bill Cowher and Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert

St. Louis: Coach Mike Martz

San Diego: GM A.J. Smith

San Francisco: Coach Mike Nolan

Seattle: President Tim Ruskell

Tampa Bay: Coach Jon Gruden

Tennessee: GM Floyd Reese

Washington: Coach Joe Gibbs

Talk to NFL general managers, coaches and personnel executives and the picture they paint of draft-day decision-making suggests multiple voices arriving at a consensus.

But when a team goes on the clock, there are time constraints, ringing phones, multiple options and, at least some of the time, differing opinions.

Teams settle on direction as much as they can in meetings before the draft, but surprises always pop up. The power structure almost demands that no matter how respected the voices are, there is at least a first among equals at the top.

An informal survey of reporters around the league indicates that a GM, owner or executive holds the final say for 22 of the 32 teams on draft day. Coaches hold that power for the other 10 teams.

Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick has draft-day input like most coaches but knows GM Ozzie Newsome has the power to override everyone else involved.

"We go in cycles," Billick said of how it works around the league. "I think most of the league covets the checks and balances of two strong personalities there that can work with one another. We seem to be in that cycle where that singular, titular head of the organization, the all encompassing say-all do-all, is not the model everybody is looking at right now."

In a year with minimal coaching turnover, two of three new coaches assumed jobs that include personnel power.

New 49ers coach Mike Nolan and new Dolphins coach Nick Saban will have the final say on adding to their rosters during the April 23-24 draft, just as they will in shaping their final rosters at the close of training camp.

"I do have the ultimate say, yes I do," said Nolan, formerly defensive coordinator for the Ravens. "And I also have an awful lot of confidence in (vice president of player personnel) Scot McCloughan and the job he does and so I will be very closely connected to him. But if there is a tiebreaker, it goes to me."

Nolan and Saban also were given power to shape the front office that surrounds them.

Many in positions of power frequently downplay it. Jets GM Terry Bradway speaks often of how verdicts on personnel matters result from a democracy. Panthers GM Marty Hurney talks about building a consensus. Bengals president Mike Brown often defers to coach Marvin Lewis.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0365/1067/SPT02

This is quite dumb, honestly...

and not worth worrying about, cause apperently all of the sudden Mike Brown has become a genius the past 2 drafts, and has drafted some great talent the past 2 years.

One of my comrades at Pravda has reported that Mike Brown still makes a few picks for the Bengals. Among those he made the last two years...

CB Dennis Weathersby

LB Khalid Abdullah

DE Elton Patterson

WR Maurice Mann

RB Chris Perry

OT Stacy Andrews*

*Conventional wisdom dictates that if Andrews developes into a starter the pick immediately becomes Marvin's responsibility.

This is quite dumb, honestly...

and not worth worrying about, cause apperently all of the sudden Mike Brown has become a genius the past 2 drafts, and has drafted some great talent the past 2 years.

One of my comrades at Pravda has reported that Mike Brown still makes a few picks for the Bengals. Among those he made the last two years...

CB Dennis Weathersby

LB Khalid Abdullah

DE Elton Patterson

WR Maurice Mann

RB Chris Perry

OT Stacy Andrews*

*Conventional wisdom dictates that if Andrews developes into a starter the pick immediately becomes Marvin's responsibility.

Ok, I'll give him props for those selections then.

Too bad Weathersby didn't turn out. :(

BTW, I think Andrews is gonna be good, real good.

RB Chris Perry

OT Stacy Andrews

That was simultaneously guessed by thousands of Bengal fans just seconds after his selection in the draft was announced.

As far as Andrews, I too like that pick. I feel he couldbe a good one, but with only 5, as in f-i-v-e total career football games as experience, there will be some serious work to be done first, but c'mon, just look at him!

:player: stacyandrews.jpg :player:

The guy's a MONSTER!! Standing 6'-6" at 342 lbs.!?!? Can you imagine something that size pulling off the line (he's plenty fast enough with a time of 4.96 in the 40-yard dash!) to lead a sweep to the outside!?! OMFG!! I pity the first undersized linebacker that gets in the way of that much mass headed full steam in his direction!! :lol: