ESPN?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. ESPN?

• I watch because I have no choice - They are the only game in town
    • I avoid ESPN at all costs
    • I like ESPN but have no loyalty to them - I'd watch another network
    • I love ESPN, they are the best!

Hey everyone,

I have been talking with some pretty high powered folks recently. Most of them local investors, and a couple of them are high powered players in the sports business around the country. At least one of the people that I have been in contact with is the personal assistant to an NBA team owner.

The basic premise of our talks has been the viability of a sports network that could rival the current sports conglomerate; ESPN.

Things are actually moving along pretty rapidly, much faster than I thought they would in fact, and I am making arrangements to possibly fly to Dallas in the next few weeks and take the next step in this endeavor.

If things continue to develop as rapidly as they have been, I will definitely be looking for various people to help with the project. Including an attorney group, a graphic design/web design team, anyone with backgorund in professional journalism, and a team of accounting/bookeeping professionals. However that is probably going to be much further down the road.

Right now, the next step is to solicit some information from the hundreds of relationships that I have formed over the last several years on the internet, via sports message communities and forums. The results of these polls will serve as a basic measuring stick for what the general public desires.

If you could, please weigh in on this poll and tell me what you think of ESPN. Would you like to see another sports network in the mix? Do you think that ESPN has an unfair stranglehold on the sports broadcasting business in this country? OR are you perfectly happy with ESPN?

Voting in the poll is very important to the success of this project, but so are your comments. If you can expand on your poll choice with some basic comments, it would be of great help to me.

Your name and e-mail address will remain anonymous. This is not for any other purpose than to get a basic idea of what the general public wants.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS - If anyone is interested in more information on our endeavor, or to support us, e-mail Mike Lurie at: Mike@packers-suck.com

Would you like to see another sports network in the mix? Do you think that ESPN has an unfair stranglehold on the sports broadcasting business in this country?

Yes and Yes

IMO Fox or CBS need to start a national 24 hour sports news channel.

It would be very difficult to start one form scratch and compete against ESPN.

Would you like to see another sports network in the mix? Do you think that ESPN has an unfair stranglehold on the sports broadcasting business in this country?

Yes and Yes

IMO Fox or CBS need to start a national 24 hour sports news channel.

It would be very difficult to start one form scratch and compete against ESPN.

It will be extremely difficult. But we feel strongly that we can do it.

We are looking at some pretty big investors, and taking a "ground up" approach to this thing.

Hopefully we can pull enough financial backing for a seperate cable entity as well as a private satelite. That is how Disney/ABC/ESPN has become so big, by purchasing the entire operational unit.

It will take a lot of money, but we can do it.

Thanks for your replies folks, and please keep them coming. We are bookmariking all of these polls on the various sites, and once they have been up for about 3 weeks, we are going to print out all of the results and add them to our proposal package.

it would have to have great update shows, obtain contracts with actual sports leagues, not just poker, bowling, pole vaulting, mexican hatdancing...im talking mlb, nfl, nba, nhl.

thats the tough part...getting the contracts...just cuz u have a 24 hr round the clock sports show doesnt mean its gonna be better, or even able to compete.

Okay folks, the website for Sports Nation is up and running. It is not much, just mainly a mission statement and a listing of the various sites where this poll is listed, so that people can see what the general public is thinking about this.

Bengals Zone is listed on the right side among some of the ther sites that have allowed us to do this poll.

We thank you again for letting us post this poll on your site.

There is a mailing list on the site as well, so if you want to stay up to date with how the project is going, or if you have a specific talent that you think would be usefull, please feel free to contact us.

Please continue to voice your opinion here though. Our goal is not to detract from this site, so please continue to vote here if you haven't already. This is where we are going to pull the info from in a couple of weeks.

***We need lawyers who are willing to do a little pro bono work for this cause***

Anyway here it is:

http://sportsnation.bravehost.com

The e-mail: sportsnation@msn.com

Thanks again to Bengal one for supporting this poll.

I watch ESPN all the time, but, that's because that's all there is. If there were another network that could provide the needed sources, information, and programming, that network may be able to compete with ESPN. But, as I'm sure you are well aware of, this will be very, very difficult.

It would be very hard to start a network like this from scratch. It seems like you would need some kind of foundation to build from. I would love to see CBS or FOX (prefrebaly CBS) start a national 24 hour sports network, seems like they already have a foundation. CBS or FOX are already recognizable and they have a lot of resources already.

But, I would love to see any kind of new 24 hour sports network. Good Luck! I would love to see this work!

Yeah, I have Fox Sports Ohio. But they need to put together one national network. The regional channels are good to see your local teams but they need national programming and national games.

I would much rather have CBS start up a sports network though. I don't like watching NFL games on FOX. FOX always seems unprofessional. Last year was a perfect example when they had the number of "Pouts" by Chad.