Sharper to Cincinnati?

JaxonFord87

Espn reports that there is a rumor that Jamie Sharper is headed to cincinnati. Could be true, we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. If it is, who will be cut? I believe Hardy should be cut, since we would have Sharper to replace him. Your thoughts?

Does anyone actually have to be cut at this point? What are the actual rules on the cap, roster size etc.? Is the off-season roster limit at 80? Just wondering. :(

The Bengals have about $4 million in cap room.

They wouldn`t have to cut any1 unless Sharper`s salary

is more than that...

But before they could sign Braham or any draft picks they

would have to cut some1 ....Hardy would give them about $1.5

million in cap room if they cut him.

They have to stay under the cap at all times.

But during the off-season only the top 51 players salaries

are counted against the cap until June the 1st.

That`s when every player that is on the roster and practice

squad counts against the cap.

If they cut the player June the 1st or after ...they can put the

cap hit towards next years cap...

I saw this rumor mentioned on a hawks board yesterday. Apparently it's dated several days ago and is nothing more than speculation that Sharper might go to Cincy because of his connection with Marvin. Nothing new here, unfortunately.

I thought the word from Sharper's agent is a decision was coming today -- Monday. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

This has Sapp written all over it. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. We'll be leverage again.

Both teams are being played against each other. I think Sharper would like to entice a third player, esp. Jax, in but so far hasn't found his "Raiders." To Seattle, he's saying, you offered the most money but man you're on the butt-end of the country, I need more $$$ for first-class upgrades for my family to fly to games. To the Bengals, it's, hey you're a shorter flight and I love Marvin, but c'mon, I ain't gonna play for the vet minimum, you need to step up with some $$$.

Which issue is the real closer, "quality of life" or $$$, only he knows. My $$$'s on $$$, tho... <_<

This link is to the Seahawks page on KFFL. They seem more worried about losing Chad Brown than gaining Sharper.

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?...86&page=1&pp=15

The Jacksonville page has two whole replies. Not much of a buzz there it seems.

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120035

Pulled this off a seahawks board, guy over there has access to espn insider...

Apr. 11 - Jamie Sharper's visit to Seattle went well, and contract talks are expected to heat up today, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. The Bengals, Cowboys and possibly the Ravens are also pushing for the former Texans linebacker, who was released in a salary-cap move. Sharper is hoping to get $3.5 million a year in a deal. His consistent ability to make over 100 tackles a season makes him one of the best options on the market.

Apr. 11 - Linebacker Chad Brown's career in Seattle appears to be coming to an end, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton. Brown is scheduled to make $4.1 million in '05. The Seahawks want to cut him to $1 million; Brown is willing to go to $2 million. The Seahawks don't seem to be budging on their low demand and it looks as though Brown could join Anthony Simmons on the street. Starting middle linebacker Orlando Huff left in free agency for Arizona.

The $3.5 million number was about what I figured it'd take to get him...I'd rather pay him that much than Hardy...

This link is to the Seahawks page on KFFL. They seem more worried about losing Chad Brown than gaining Sharper.

http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?...86&page=1&pp=15

Yeah, they don't like the idea of losing him. Here's some more seahawks links...

http://mb25.scout.com/fseahawksinsiderfrm1

http://www.yabbers.com/phpbb/viewforum.php...9379dafc2952aea

it looks like we are getting played around with again like sapp

sharper just visiting the bengals to try to jump up his value.

But i truly hope he does sign with the bengals

but as i see it it is not going to happen

I keep hearing this comment -- hey, get a clue that's what every FA does. They pit teams against each other to get the best deal. True, Cincy is usually the one to beg out of a deal first, but the other way to do it is to keep playing the game and end up with a Dre Bly size deal. Sharper would be great -- I would be happy to land him. But he's also getting old and ideally we would need him for 1 or 2 years tops. In that context, we should not overpay and should not have to agree to lock him up for 5. So, if that's getting Warren Sapp'd, then I say let him go. In every FA deal made, at least one team gets left at the altar. Enough of this poooor us stuff. It happens -- deal.

it looks like we are getting played around with again like sapp

sharper just visiting the bengals to try to jump up his value.

If we were the "front-runner" I'd agree, but I don't think the Bengals have gotten used this time. I mean, the Seahawks didn't exactly play hard-to-get and reportedly did put the top offer on the table. Sharper's camp may have leaked a few comments about the "tough commute" for his family and all that (and it's telling that only popped up in the Seattle papers, not the Cincy ones) but he probably would have said that even if the Bengals weren't in the picture. He's just trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of Seattle before he signs.

This struck out at me on the Seattle PI http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/219484_hawk09.html:

Before meeting with club officials and coaches yesterday, Sharper took a tour of Qwest Field and also was given a physical. Thursday night, he and Agnone went to dinner with president of football operations Tim Ruskell and linebackers coach John Marshall.

From my understanding, physicals are rarely given before a deal is struck. Anyone ever heard of a physical before a mutual (handshake, or verbal) agreement?

From my understanding, physicals are rarely given before a deal is struck. Anyone ever heard of a physical before a mutual (handshake, or verbal) agreement?

Well, according to Marvin there was never any kind of deal for Daryl Gardener, who I guess then just came to Cincy to take a physical for the heck of it... :rolleyes::lol:

KIRKLAND -- The Seahawks could know as early as today whether veteran linebacker Jamie Sharper will be joining them for the 2005 season.

Tony Agnone, Sharper's agent, said over the weekend he would like to have a deal done by today. Of course, that could change if none of the offers he has received are to his liking.

Sharper visited the Seahawks last week after first meeting with the Cincinnati Bengals. The Jacksonville Jaguars and Cleveland Browns also have expressed interest in Sharper, who was released April 1 by the Houston Texans.

If Sharper's choice is not the Seahawks, it's not for a lack of trying. The club didn't miss a recruiting trick during his visit. After being taken to dinner in a limousine Thursday night, Sharper toured Qwest Field on Friday morning. As he entered the stadium, his image was projected on the scoreboard screen, and he was greeted with piped-in crowd noise -- including chants of "Ja-mie, Ja-mie, Ja-mie."

Mother Nature even cooperated, as sunshine became part of Sharper's entourage while in town.

Sharper returned to his home in south Florida to discuss his options with his family. He is not married, but remains very close to his parents and siblings -- including his younger brother Darren, a former Green Bay Packers safety who recently signed with the Minnesota Vikings.

Sharper has made a habit of flying family members in for his games, and the distance to Seattle would make for a daunting commute.

Among Sharper's priorities are proximity for his family and familiarity for himself. He played for Bengals coach Marvin Lewis and Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio while with the Baltimore Ravens. Sharper also wants to play for a team where he can make a difference, and inconsistent play by its injury-ravaged linebacking crew was a major factor in the Seahawks defense ranking 26th in the NFL last season.

Agnone has not ruled out any of the teams that have shown interest.

But the Bengals' initial contract offer was said to be less than Sharper was anticipating, and the word out of Cleveland is that the Browns no longer consider themselves in the picture.

Sharper, 30, was a second-round draft choice by the Ravens in 1997, but went to the Texans in the 2002 expansion draft. He played outside linebacker for five seasons with the Ravens and middle linebacker for three seasons with the Texans, missing only one start in eight seasons.

P-I reporter Clare Farnsworth can be reached at 206-448-8016 or clarefarnsworth@seattlepi.com