Reds vs Astro's

AGrizzlyBaer

should be a nice test early on to see how the reds stand

I thought that sweep versus the Mets with all of their big names and high $$$ payroll said something about that. Now going up against one of last seasons playoff teams will say even more. The Reds have started out hot and fired up. Let's keep it rolling on the 'Stros!

I have a ton of family in Houston and I originally came from Texas. This, above most other teams, has a certain excitement for me.

Anyway, we're heading into 5 straight series' against divisional opponents and it will be a true test on how the Reds will do against teams we need to beat.

On a sidenote, I feel sorry for anyone that's not following the Reds. This city is uber-excited about this team right now like the city was in 2003 when we had a dying hope of competition.

It's great to see the city excited about sports again. There are some great fans in that city, they just needed some winning to brign them back out. I see a great future for Cincy in the next 5-10 years, sportswise that is.

It's been awhile since this city has been fired up about both sports at the same time..

Even tho the Reds took their first loss, I thought they looked pretty good against Houston ( Freels attempt to score aside. ) Thought Ortiz held his own against a good lineup and same for reds hitters vs Clemmons.

Tonight will be a character check for the team. If they are going to not only compete, but contend in the division then they have to come back and win tonights game. Backes obviously a decent pitcher, but he's no Clemmons. They also need to win tonight in order to keep Houston from dropping them into a tie for 2nd.

As for Randa .... Could I have another helping of that crow please ??? ;)B)

Randa and Ortiz look to be good upgrades. However our imitation of the line, "One, Two, Three strikes you're out", from "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" has me worried. Junior's at-bats last night, especially in the eight, were pathetic.

Even tho the Reds took their first loss, I thought they looked pretty good against Houston ( Freels attempt to score aside. ) Thought Ortiz held his own against a good lineup and same for reds hitters vs Clemmons.

Tonight will be a character check for the team. If they are going to not only compete, but contend in the division then they have to come back and win tonights game. Backes obviously a decent pitcher, but he's no Clemmons. They also need to win tonight in order to keep Houston from dropping them into a tie for 2nd.

As for Randa .... Could I have another helping of that crow please ??? ;)B)

Yea, all in all, this was a good game from both sides. Our offense struggled, but then again, Clemons is pretty good.

I do like Ortiz, but I have two things:

1. Ortiz, when things got a little tough, lost a little composure. How many times did Randa, Aurilia, Valentine, and Gully come out to calm the kid down. My analysis of his first start is he could have brilliant outtings and at times have innings where he gives up 4-5 runs. But it's only his first start, so we'll see.

2. Good stuff, but he tended to keep some pitches up in the zone. I think this could go along with #1 where his emotions went up, so did his pitches. Welsh commented last night that when Ortiz gets into trouble, he tends to try to throw harder causing the pitches to sit up in the zone.

All in all though, I was happy with Ortiz. The story from Friday's game was Clemons pitching, his 2-run RBI that eventually won the game, and very solid defense from the 'Stros.

We have our ace going against their #4 tonight. If you're in the Cincy area, the game is on FoxSports again at 7pm.

Randa and Ortiz look to be good upgrades. However our imitation of the line "One, Two, Three strikes you're out", from "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" has me worried. Junior's at-bats last night, especially in the eight" were pathetic.

Me too. But I think that's our team right now, swing hard and often giving us more homers and strikeouts too. Then again, in four games we've already faced Pedro and Clemons -- both big time strikeout pitchers.

Did you see Kearns last night? He looked awful and lost. I wouldn't be surprised if Miley gives him the night off for Wily Mo.