Randa

R-U-D-I

A guy who really looks like he could make a serious impact this year is Ryan Wagner. Sophomore jinx last year?

Could be. If you watched a lot of his appearences last season, when Wagner got shelled he looked cautious and down. Wagner has good mechanics and stuff, but the question for the kid is his mental toughness. Can he give up a homer and then shutdown the rest of the side or fail to get out of the inning (like last year)?

As for Milton, expect him to give up homeruns. I believe he gave up 43 of them last season and being at GAB, he'll give up more. As long as they are solo jobs, like last night, then I think we can handle giving up a lot of homers with our offense.

Joe Randa-"The Joker"

you gotta love the smile on his face everytime he bats.

Milton is solid, he averages 12 wins a season.

Look out for Adam Harrang, he will have a good season.

Look out for Rich Aurrilla. Underrated IF. He was a stud with the Giants, and only had one bad year, and that was last year.

Randa ia awesome! great pickup

;) Gotta admit I'm eating crow on this one. When I heard that the Reds had picked up Randa, I was pretty unimpressed. It was like yeah yeah so what .... Guess that's why they don't confer with me on such things. B)

There was a thread on Randa before the season started, and I expressed my deep sadness that he was no longer a Royal (he was my favorite Royal, and I will be wearing my Randa jersey on Monday when I watch the Royals put one on the Mariners) but also my joy that he went to a team that needed him and would give him the respect that he deserves.

I am glad that he has started so well, and I wish that he were still a Royal.

There was a thread on Randa before the season started, and I expressed my deep sadness that he was no longer a Royal (he was my favorite Royal, and I will be wearing my Randa jersey on Monday when I watch the Royals put one on the Mariners) but also my joy that he went to a team that needed him and would give him the respect that he deserves.

I am glad that he has started so well, and I wish that he were still a Royal.

Man, Randa is the talk of the town. He's so far the best off-season pick-up since.... ummm.... well......

hope he keeps this up so we can sign him to a longer deal!

Tell me you are joking. Randa is what he is, a strong veteran presence as a one year stopgap until Encarnacion is called up. Encarnacion was ready this spring, but they are giving him an extra year to dominate AAA. Appreciate and enjoy, but do not wish for a very old veteran off to a fast start to be resigned to a multi-year deal.

Tell me you are joking. Randa is what he is, a strong veteran presence as a one year stopgap until Encarnacion is called up. Encarnacion was ready this spring, but they are giving him an extra year to dominate AAA. Appreciate and enjoy, but do not wish for a very old veteran off to a fast start to be resigned to a multi-year deal.

i agree....as well as he has done thus far, the reds need to stay young, and maybe next year, they can work encarnacion in with a little guidance from randa.

I only can wish they had done that for shortstop with barry....maybe rich aurilia can help out machado and lopez.

oh well, theyre undefeated, i like that!

And don't assume a prospect like Encarnacion to be some great savior of 3rd base just because he dominates AAA -- i.e. Brandon Larson.

Age difference, ability, history, and defense. Larson was in his peak years by the time he made it to AAA, and only in repeating the league multiple times was he able to have a very good season. There were doubts of his tools and abilities coming in, all he could do was hit, but even that was with an aluminum bat. And Larson could NEVER field, slow feet and concrete hands, not to mention a weak arm.

Encarnacion has played well at every level, started much younger, and is displaying great plate discipline, not to mention his developing power. His defense still leaves much to be desired, but it is improving at every level. His spring numbers were just as good as Randa's, but I will admit it is just spring.

True, he is a prospect, and could fizzle out, but every once in a while you have a great one, and he is it for the Reds. I have seen him as high as top ten in the nation in prospect rankings, so it is not just homers who like him.

Remember this, Dunn and Kearns will cost more each year, and that money needs to come from somewhere, don't waste it on something that can be supplied in house, and arguably better. Don't forget, even Randa was a prospect once. At some point you need to get the prospects some experience, and it should happen the second half of this year, with Randa showing him the ropes to take over next year.

Tell me you are joking. Randa is what he is, a strong veteran presence as a one year stopgap until Encarnacion is called up.

Well Mr. "Stopgap" Randa just took Roger Clemens deep to tie the game up 1-1! I wish the Reds could get a truckload more of these alleged spot playing, late blooming veterans! :o

Randa isn't old! I mean the average age in baseball is in the mid 30's! When you turn 30 it is like being a rookie. Randa is 35, but so is Mariano Rivera, Jason Giambi, KGJ, Mike Piazza,Tony Womack, Manny Rameriaz is like what 33 so is Pedro. When you hit your early 40's in baseball you are getting old.

Exactly Chad. More so, look at Clemons and Bonds -- both over 40. Baseball isn't an age sport like football and basketball. How old was Larkin when he retired and how many people were against Larkin not returning as a Red? But that's going beyond the discussion I guess -- tangent!

OICanDoThat -- don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Randa is better than Encarnacion or vice versa. I just don't want to go through what we did last year and put an unproven 3rd baseman at the MLB level -- he could get overwhelmed -- and have no option. Having Randa for the next 2 or so years, if not longer, will really give us a refined and practiced Encarnacion. I agree with your original assessment that it would be foolish to sign Randa to a long term deal.