Bengals All-Time Team FULLBACK

Kirkendall

i couldnt even name u one...does woods count as a fullback? heh

Neal mb...cant tell u any prior to him.

Yea Woods should count as a FB and he is most likely The Man ...

But I liked Pete Johnson back in his day to... he was a beast of a blocker.

um not if woods counts as a FB. back then i believe he was listed as a FB...id take woods over pete.

Great year from Woods in 1988. But that was one year before he broke. And, Woods was not a true FB. Not like Pete Johnson was.

I thought we were going to be able to do this until the beginning of the season, all of the sudden I look at the page and there 4 positions to nominate for. Was looking forward (not in a "edge of my seat way, but still) to doing this until September.

In terms of fullbacks the list has to be: Boobie Clark, Pete Johnson, Larry Kinnebrew, Stanley Wilson, Ickey Woods.

You could make an argument for Bill Johnson, but no one else really. Ickey didn't play 1 full season. Not one. Anyone know how many carries he had going into the 5th game of the year in 1988? under 20. How is it possible that anyone is going to vote him over Pete Johnson? I don't buy the Ickey wasn't a pure FB argument because he clearly was. Very rarely did he line up further back than Brooks. They ran a lot of split back, but he rarely lined up as a halfback.

Pete Johnson set the team rushing record as a fullback and his touchdowns record is not going to be topped even by the end of Rudi's new contract.

um those stats are decieving. he was a fullback that blocked at first then they started giving him carries when they saw what he could do. my vote is still ickey.

If Pete Johnson's stats are deceiving for that reason, then so are Ickey's. The argument is the same, except in the beginning it was Stanley Wilson that they had block. So really, your argument vs. Pete Johnson is even stronger to use vs. Ickey.

Pete's numbers were "misleading" for 6 years, Ickey's were for 1 year. Ickey actually had 20 more carries than James Brooks in 1988. 50 more than Brooks in playoff games only. If that isn't "he was a fullback that blocked at first then they started giving him carries when they saw what he could do. my vote is still ickey," then what is? And again, Woods wasn't even the regular fullback UNTIL they found out he could carry the ball.

Wood's career numbers:

1988 203 carries, 1066 yards, 15 TD (Brooks had 182 carries)

1989 29 carries, 94 yards, 2 TD

1990 64 carries, 268, 6 TD

1991 36 carries, 97 yards, 4 TD

1989 - 1991 the numbers were low due to injury, not because he wasn't getting carries and was blocking. 1989 the FB duties were split between Taylor and Ball, both had more carries than Ickey. 1990, the fullback duties were split between Ickey and Taylor and Harold Green (yes he was a FB the first 2 years) and Green had more carries, Taylor had slightly less. In 1991, The same 3 split and once again Green had the most, Ickey had 3 more than Taylor. And you're going to put him on the All Time Team based on stats?

So basically, you proved your own point, just about the person you're voting for. It sucks when facts get in the way of a good argument. If you want to vote for him because of personal reasons like the Shuffle, or the personality that helped us be popular at the time, that's fine. But you have to come A LOT stronger than what you came with.

Ickey Woods had 332 carries in his CAREER. Hell Rudi had more

than that THIS YEAR!

Ickey had 27 TD`s in those carries. He averaged a TD every 12.2 carries.

Pete Johnson averaged a TD every 21.9 carries.

Ickey Woods averaged 4.6 yards per carry. Pete averaged 3.9.

Looks like Woods was "greater" ...his career was killed with injuries though.

Ickey gets my vote.

And Rudi needs to average a little less than 9 TD`s a year for the next 5

years to break Pete Johnson`s TD record of 64.

I think that is VERY possible.

Do we really need a poll for this?  Annoint Pete and go on  :D

I love Ickey too, and watched both through their careers. It seemed though that if you needed 3 yards for a 1st down or TD, Pete seemed to always get the needed yardage. I say Pete...who too (as I also said in the All Time Center thread about Bob) is among the long list of famous Cincinnati Johnsons! :rolleyes: