Ravens

jjakq27

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BAL/8314125

Ravens match offer sheet for RB Taylor

NFL.com wire reports

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (March 21, 2005) -- The Baltimore Ravens have matched the one-year offer sheet running Chester Taylor signed last week with the Cleveland Browns.

The Ravens had until March 23 to match the offer for free agent Taylor, the primary backup to Pro Bowler Jamal Lewis, but opted to act March 21.

"This shows the continued commitment of Steve Bisciotti to win and the flexibility of our cap that we can retain a player like Chester," Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "Over the last three years, Chester has been productive both when spelling Jamal Lewis and when he has started for him. Keeping Chester makes us a stronger and deeper team."

Taylor, slated to compete with Lee Suggs for the Browns' starting tailback job, rushed for 714 yards and two touchdowns last season while catching 30 passes.

"He looks forward to helping the Ravens compete for a Super Bowl ring in 2005," agent Ken Sarnoff said of Taylor.

Taylo is still slated to be an unrestricted free agent in 2006, when he would be free to sign with any franchise. Taylor was drafted in the sixth round out of Toledo in 2002.

If the Ravens hadn't opted matched the offer, they would have received the Browns' sixth-round draft pick as compensation.

Luckily we have enough cap space to absorb the money on his contract. Also, it's just a 1 year deal, so no dead money next year or anything like that. Lastly, what you need to be more concerned about is Madieu bouncing backwards of Jamal as he comes up the middle, b/c, Jamal Lewis is still our starter.

The funniest thing, and you boys and can agree with this, is that somehow the browns fans are taking some kind of moral victory from this. They are pleased as punch that b/c of them we lost some cap space. I guess you really have hit rock bottom when that's all you have.

Luckily we have enough cap space to absorb the money on his contract. Also, it's just a 1 year deal, so no dead money next year or anything like that. Lastly, what you need to be more concerned about is Madieu bouncing backwards of Jamal as he comes up the middle, b/c, Jamal Lewis is still our starter.

The funniest thing, and you boys and can agree with this, is that somehow the browns fans are taking some kind of moral victory from this. They are pleased as punch that b/c of them we lost some cap space. I guess you really have hit rock bottom when that's all you have.

Yep that move wins you the division. Maybe even the Super Bowl. Congratulations. :rolleyes:

Yep that move wins you the division. Maybe even the Super Bowl. Congratulations. :rolleyes:

Seems like that kinda cash floating around for Chester Taylor , there oughtta been enough for Hartwell...The Ratbirds might have just really blew it there. :huh:

Not sure TJ Slaughter is gonna get it, but I do like Bart Scott an awful lot. Boulware may or may not be a real factor this year and Ray is not getting any younger. I guess a 4-3 switch really is in the cards this year for Ratbirds.

I just think its funny that Chester got more than Rudi last year and only did spot duty.

Luckily we have enough cap space to absorb the money on his contract.  Also, it's just a 1 year deal, so no dead money next year or anything like that.  Lastly, what you need to be more concerned about is Madieu bouncing backwards of Jamal as he comes up the middle, b/c, Jamal Lewis is still our starter.

The funniest thing, and you boys and can agree with this, is that somehow the browns fans are taking some kind of moral victory from this.  They are pleased as punch that b/c of them we lost some cap space.  I guess you really have hit rock bottom when that's all you have.

I just think its funny that Chester got more than Rudi last year and only did spot duty.

Hey Terry Tate! I just saw the pic in your sig of you meeting the legendary running back Jim Brown! How cool was that? And you're right about giving credit where it's due. His 5.2 yards per carry, never missed game, won the rushing title every year but one when he was in the league, there was a lot of contenders but if you have to select one, you have to pick Jim as the greatest running back in history! "When you have a thoroughbred," coach Paul Brown said, "you run him."

Luckily we have enough cap space to absorb the money on his contract.  Also, it's just a 1 year deal, so no dead money next year or anything like that.  Lastly, what you need to be more concerned about is Madieu bouncing backwards of Jamal as he comes up the middle, b/c, Jamal Lewis is still our starter.

The funniest thing, and you boys and can agree with this, is that somehow the browns fans are taking some kind of moral victory from this.  They are pleased as punch that b/c of them we lost some cap space.  I guess you really have hit rock bottom when that's all you have.

Hey Terry Tate! I just saw the pic in your sig of you meeting the legendary running back Jim Brown! How cool was that? And you're right about giving credit where it's due. His 5.2 yards per carry, never missed game, won the rushing title every year but one when he was in the league, there was a lot of contenders but if you have to select one, you have to pick Jim as the greatest running back in history! "When you have a thoroughbred," coach Paul Brown said, "you run him."

yizzir, I have to agree.

He was a cool dude too, and he signed not only a football, but a Browns jersey I had (don't even ask me how I had that) :unsure::ph34r:

The decision to let Hartwell go was a smart one for several reasons. First, with our switch of formation, he is the odd man out, since he can't play outside (lack of speed and swivel) and we're set at the MLB spot. Second, someone would offer way more and it just didn't make sense financially to keep him. Third, and this one is up for debate, there were apparently some character issues. He seemed to be developing a me first attitude and seemed to be resenting the attention Ray got. If you read his quotes now, you can still pick up a thread of that.

Don't get me wrong, we screwed the pooch on the Taylor situation. The front office tried to low ball and ended up paying way more. But letting Hartwell go was a smart decision.

He seemed to be developing a me first attitude and seemed to be resenting the attention Ray got. If you read his quotes now, you can still pick up a thread of that.

How could he possibly think he rated anything close to the attention that Ray Lewis commands!?! That's not a mental issue. That's a "he's freakin' CRAZY issue. :wacko:

The decision to let Hartwell go was a smart one for several reasons. First, with our switch of formation, he is the odd man out, since he can't play outside (lack of speed and swivel) and we're set at the MLB spot. Second, someone would offer way more and it just didn't make sense financially to keep him. Third, and this one is up for debate, there were apparently some character issues. He seemed to be developing a me first attitude and seemed to be resenting the attention Ray got. If you read his quotes now, you can still pick up a thread of that.

Don't get me wrong, we screwed the pooch on the Taylor situation. The front office tried to low ball and ended up paying way more. But letting Hartwell go was a smart decision.

Looks like Hartwell leaving might not make much difference. :(

But it's hard to say if Tony Weaver will fit a 4-3 scheme...not ideal size for a DT and could have hard time w/ contain if he plays DE. Adalius Thomas is ideal for DE.

I can see Suggs making the switch happen, though. I suspect teams will see him play strongside LB vs. run and line up as DE in likely pass situations.

Bart Scott sure does look like the weakside LB in all of this w/ Slaughter playing SSLB on passing downs.

Ray is a great LB, especially in pass coverage and all but it sure do like like the weak spot on the front 7 is to trap a DT and run a FB right at Ray w/ the RB behind him. It would make for great play action too :D