raiders beat ravens!

richmond_mat

Well, I think this doesn't help as much as a AFC north game. The next tie breaker after division is common opponents. Last I read the Ravens still had the edge on the Bengals, but the Raiders game helps, but not enough....Now they need to lose to the Browns and or Steelers and then the tie breakers fall our way.

The next tie breaker after division is common opponents.

Actually the Bengals have that edge too:

Denver - Balt won, Cinci lost

San Diego - Balt won, Cinci won

Kansas City - Balt lost, Cinci won

Arizona - Balt won, Cinci lost

Oakland - Cinci won, Balti Lost

San Francisco - Baltimore won, Cinci Won

St. Louis - Baltimore lost

Record

Cincinnati: 4-2

Baltimore: 4-3

Now the Bengals must beat the St. Louis Rams to ensure we win the common opponents tie breaker. If Baltimore loses to Cleveland or Pittsburgh and Cincinnati beats Cleveland we win the divisional record. In other words, it's not as vital if the Bengals lose to St. Louis now as was before. Because Baltimore could lose to Cleveland (are you seeing how well they played Denver) and Pittsburgh and Baltimore are different types of games, both hate each other.

Great two weeks of football coming up!

Actually the Bengals have that edge too:

Denver - Balt won, Cinci lost

San Diego - Balt won, Cinci won

Kansas City - Balt lost, Cinci won

Arizona - Balt won, Cinci lost

Oakland - Cinci won, Balti Lost

San Francisco - Baltimore won, Cinci Won

St. Louis - Baltimore lost

Record

Cincinnati: 4-2

Baltimore: 4-3

the bengals lost to the raiders so they now stand 3-3.

So a win in St. Louis ties us up there too.

The bungle in the desert hurts more and more.

Currently the Bengals are in first place within the division. However, the Bengals have to win out....That is pretty obvious though. Some rough stat grind has shown that the final tie breaker if both teams win out would be Strength of Victory....I'm not even sure what the hell that is, but it's probably not something the Bengals have control over...gotta love obscure tie breakers...

Disclaimer....This was a rough estimation, and I can't guarantee I'm right...But I hope like hell I am

Strength of Victory

I believe it's Margin of Victory, the worst determinant in any system.

Well, whatever it is, it's in the Bengals favor....Oh, if the playoffs could start now......

Frankly, I think the odds just got a wee bit better for the Bengals. That our last two games are the Rams and Browns, versus the Browns and Steelers for the Ravens has always put us in a hole...but with the results today, even if we lose next week and the Ravens beat Cleveland, it still comes down to the last week. We'd be a game back, but if we beat the Browns and they lose to Pitt we win the division tiebreaker and take the crown.

If we both lose the last two, Cincy wins. If we both win the last two...well, I dunno, I think we're in "margin of victory" territory or whatever. And no matter what happens next week, the Bengals are still alive in week 17.

Let me repeat that: the Bengals will still be alive in week 17.

Wow.

EDIT: still not sure what strength of victory is but according to nfl.com we lead it over Baltimore.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/conference

:D:D:D

Not sure about this, but I think strength of victory is the combined record of all the teams you've defeated. If this is the case, just think... how huge is that KC win now? Right now, that game is what makes the difference in this tie-breaker..., that is if my guess about "strength of victory" is correct.

Even though I'm not quite sure what it is, I'm confident that "strength of victory" is NOT the same thing as "margin of victory" or "strength of schedule."

taken from the Bengals website:

Here are the four scenarios:

BENGALS DEFEAT ST. LOUIS AND CLEVELAND; BALTIMORE DEFEATS CLEVELAND AND PITTSBURGH: Cincinnati and Baltimore would each finish with 10-6 records. They would be even in the first four tiebreakers, which are head-to-head play, division record, record against common opponents and record in the AFC. The fifth tiebreaker, strength of victory would likely determine the championship.

BENGALS LOSE TO ST. LOUIS AND DEFEAT CLEVELAND; BALTIMORE GOES 1-1 IN EITHER POSSIBLE WAY: Cincinnati and Baltimore would each finish with 9-7 records. They would be even in the first tiebreaker, head-to-head play, but Cincinnati would win the division by virtue of the second tiebreaker, a 4-2 division record compared to Baltimore’s 3-3.

BENGALS DEFEAT ST. LOUIS AND LOSE TO CLEVELAND; BALTIMORE GOES 1-1 IN EITHER POSSIBLE WAY. Cincinnati and Baltimore would each finish with 9-7 records. They would be even in the first four tiebreakers, which are head-to-head play, division record, record against common opponents and record in the AFC. The fifth tiebreaker, strength of victory would likely determine the championship.

BENGALS LOSE TO ST. LOUIS AND CLEVELAND; BALTIMORE LOSES TO CLEVELAND AND PITTSBURGH: Cincinnati and Baltimore would each finish with 8-8 records. They would be even in the first tiebreaker, head-to-head play, but Cincinnati would win the division by virtue of the second tiebreaker, a 3-3 division record compared to Baltimore’s 2-4.

Not sure about this, but I think strength of victory is the combined record of all the teams you've defeated. If this is the case, just think... how huge is that KC win now? Right now, that game is what makes the difference in this tie-breaker..., that is if my guess about "strength of victory" is correct.

As far as I can tell, it is. And since the Ravens' number stands at .402 and their remaining games are against teams that are a combined .321, I think we're golden there.

Far as I can tell, the bottom line for week 16 is that the Bengals can clinch the division with a win in St. Louis combined with a Ravens loss to the Browns.

Go Ohio teams!

taken from the Bengals website:

Here are the four scenarios:

BENGALS DEFEAT ST. LOUIS AND CLEVELAND; BALTIMORE DEFEATS CLEVELAND AND PITTSBURGH: Cincinnati and Baltimore would each finish with 10-6 records. They would be even in the first four tiebreakers, which are head-to-head play, division record, record against common opponents and record in the AFC. The fifth tiebreaker, strength of victory would likely determine the championship.

BENGALS LOSE TO ST. LOUIS AND DEFEAT CLEVELAND; BALTIMORE GOES 1-1 IN EITHER POSSIBLE WAY: Cincinnati and Baltimore would each finish with 9-7 records. They would be even in the first tiebreaker, head-to-head play, but Cincinnati would win the division by virtue of the second tiebreaker, a 4-2 division record compared to Baltimore’s 3-3.

BENGALS DEFEAT ST. LOUIS AND LOSE TO CLEVELAND; BALTIMORE GOES 1-1 IN EITHER POSSIBLE WAY. Cincinnati and Baltimore would each finish with 9-7 records. They would be even in the first four tiebreakers, which are head-to-head play, division record, record against common opponents and record in the AFC. The fifth tiebreaker, strength of victory would likely determine the championship.

BENGALS LOSE TO ST. LOUIS AND CLEVELAND; BALTIMORE LOSES TO CLEVELAND AND PITTSBURGH: Cincinnati and Baltimore would each finish with 8-8 records. They would be even in the first tiebreaker, head-to-head play, but Cincinnati would win the division by virtue of the second tiebreaker, a 3-3 division record compared to Baltimore’s 2-4.

my head is spinning now, I think i get it, oh hell, no I dont..... B)