Johnny Bench

jjakq27

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT04/503010404

Tuesday, March 1, 2005

Players impressed by Bench's speech

Former star gives address to motivate team

By Kevin Kelly

Enquirer staff writer

SARASOTA, Fla. - To enter the Reds' spring training clubhouse, one must pass through two sets of wooden doors.

The carpeted pathway then forks at a red cinder block wall on which hangs a poster-sized photograph capturing Johnny Bench in mid-swing during the 1976 World Series.

Around 9:30 a.m. Monday, from a spot just on the other side of the wall, the same man stood in full uniform and tingled many a spine.

The Hall of Fame catcher gave a rare and rousing motivational speech to a large gathering of Reds players, the coaching staff and other team officials on his final day in camp.

"You know what was great about today's speech?" first baseman Sean Casey said. "He spoke from the heart. He really did. And he spoke from experience.

"A couple times you just got the chills with some of the stories he was telling about winning. It was awesome."

Bench addressed the group for approximately 20 minutes before Monday's full-squad workout. Afterward he attended the practice and worked with players.

"I compare it to when I was in camp with the Royals, having George Brett speak to us," third baseman Joe Randa said. "Obviously, for a number of years, they played on great teams and did things right. Everything the guy says you take to heart and know that's the right way to do it."

During the speech Bench detailed his "vowels of success" and addressed the heightened expectations for this year's team.

The vowel A represented attitude and ability while E applied to excellence and effort.

Inner conceit and individualism took care of I.

Bench then reached the fourth vowel.

"Opportunity, which is now," Bench said. "You've been given an opportunity to play in the Major Leagues. You've been given the opportunity to be a Cincinnati Red.

"Take advantage of this opportunity. Now is the chance for this ball club. This is the first time in a long time people have been excited about this ball club."

The letter U represented using the knowledge of coaches and teammates.

"I don't want anything to get away from the opportunity that they have," Bench said. "I said, 'I've been an MVP.' But when you're a world champion ... when you walk in that locker room there is nothing better in the world because everybody is a champion.

"It would be a shame to miss that experience and that opportunity."

The Reds finished 10 games under .500 and fourth in the National League Central in 2004.

The team used this past offseason to retool its roster with a payroll that has been boosted considerably.

Ramon Ortiz and Eric Milton, two proven veteran starting pitchers, were acquired to bolster the starting rotation.

The bullpen was overhauled with the signings of veterans David Weathers, Kent Mercker and Ben Weber.

The team signed Randa to fill a gaping hole at third base.

Other additions - shortstop Rich Aurilia, reliever Ricky Stone, starter Jeriome Robertson and utility man Luis Lopez for instance - will add depth, experience and competition this spring and this season.

"What (Bench) had to say was kind of the mindset that a lot of us have, the expectations that we all have," outfielder Austin Kearns said.

"We can sit and talk about it, but when one of the best players ever to put on a uniform comes in and says it, that adds a little extra something."