Kirkendalls "Win #8" Article.

BengalszoneBilly

Kirkendall,

You, my friend have a gift! Your presentation, command of statistics, and layout of the article ( ITS - "Write'em" off for win #8)...superb!! I'd far rather read your insights on the Bengals than anything the online "Cincinnati Post" has to offer! (Oh crap! You don't work there, do you?) You're a realist. I'm a trash talkin' (and I think I'll tone it down) dreamer. You gotta understand where I'm comin' from...

I was initially a Cleveland Browns fan. I grew up in northern Kentucky watching Jim Brown and Leroy Kelly shine for them. Why? They were the closest team, and there was no choice. Then it happened. Something to hold sacred along side of the Reds. Even before Pete Rose, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez, Davey Concepcion, and Ken Griffey Sr., under the leadership of Sparky Anderson, became the "Big Red Machine".

Pro football was finally on the Cincinnati menu. Above even chili, and boy, now living in Arizona, I miss that chili!! The Cincinnati Bengals were born. The early years under Paul Brown were much like our last 10 or so. That was up until 1982...

Now comes Forrest Gregg, with Kenny Anderson at Q.B., who, I might add, still holds the highest completion percentage of any NFL Q.B. in history!! They make an unpresidented run through the division, playoffs, and ultimately into the Super Bowl, where my heart was ripped from my chest and torn assunder in the 2nd half by...the San Francisco Forty Niners.

Fast forward six years to 1988. In my mind the best year in the history of the Bengals. It was only held short of immortality by the last second heroics by arguably one of the best quarterbacks of all time, Joe Montana. All the incredible wins at home versus the Chargers, (I was living in San Diego as a Bengals fan at that time!) and then the Seahawks, for the AFC Championship...were forgotten. But not by me. I remember it as though it was yesterday!

The Bengals flat dominated those games. They dominated even on the road, and therein lies our bane today! The Road!!! It sounds almost impossible after this past decade. It's the last monkey we have to get off our backs to return to the playoffs as a force to be reckoned with! Marvin Lewis is, without a doubt, the man for this transformation. I truly believe he has righted our floundering ship, and this only being his first year at the helm only bids well for our coming years!!

Things are getting better every day, and there's something to be gained from last weeks loss to the Ravens.

One of my favorite quotes, by whom I don't know...

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

Amen Brother, Amen!!!!!!!

I watched the first bengals superbowl at my childhood home at our superbowl party. We had ribs from the Cheyenne Social Club from Western Bowl. I was so mad when we lost.

Then I watched the 88 SB out at Perfect North Slopes, coming in from snowboarding and caught the whole second half and wished I hadn't. Another broken dream. Such is life. Lewis Billups, RIP, had that ball and had the game in his hand for a fraction of a second. oh the humanuty.

We will probably win out. That is my call. SF, STL, CLE you aint got nothing.

The two Super Bowl losses still haunt me. I still think that if you give it to Pete Johnson on fourth down, he puts it in from the one and changes the momentum. Joe Montana is the devil in a helmet. I got a little satisfaction when Jim Bert of the Giants knocked him out. As much as I hate the Steelers, Browns and Jerry Glanville, I hate anything 49ers the most.

King Willy,

When Billups dropped that ball, the one that Montana planted right in his numbers no less, I KNEW the game was over, and we lost! Exactly like that poor guy in Chicago this past year at the MLB National League Championship, between the Cubs and Marlins! When he reached over the wall and robbed the Cubs left fielder from catching the foul ball, the shift in momentum was undeniable to ANYONE!

I feel our shift in momentum is as equally undeniable. The difference? We're goin' the other way. B)

Richmond Mat,

I couldn't agree more. The law of averages is screamin' right now that we're way over do to put one on the Niners!!

All the advantages are ours! We're at home. With the exception of last week, we've been playing good football, and our offense is ripe to run the ball down the Niners throats, which will in turn open up our wide recievers for the big plays. I see a lob sided win coming for us!