Opening Day tickets sell out in 12 minutes!

jjakq27

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT04/502200412

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Sold out!

Reds Opening Day tickets gone in 12 minutes

By Lori Kurtzman

Enquirer staff writer

Dan Wheeldon and Lacy Corbett of Delhi Township got into line an hour before Reds Opening Day tickets went on sale and hoped for the best.

Just as they stepped to the ticket counter at Great American Ball Park, they heard someone yell: "Sold out!"

More than 17,000 available tickets for the Cincinnati Reds' April 4 opener sold out in a club record of 12 minutes, which was four minutes quicker than the record set last year. The stadium holds about 42,000; the other 25,000 tickets had been accounted for before Saturday.

Up against people who'd been in line for days, Wheeldon and Corbett didn't stand a chance.

"Next year, we'll do it over the Internet," Corbett said.

That's what most people did. Of the 17,000 tickets sold, 12,400 were bought online, said Reds spokesman Rob Butcher.

But what fun is that?

Talk to the guy at the front of the line, Nick Schanz, 21, who gave up school, sleep and proper nutrition to get first crack at tickets. He hadn't showered since Tuesday, hadn't even changed out of his Scooby Doo boxer shorts. And he had a blast.

At 9 a.m., he plunked down $180 in cash and got six tickets, which he held near his face, hamming for the TV cameras and newspaper photographers who have been after him since he unfolded a chair outside the ballpark four days ago. "Everybody gets their 15 minutes," Schanz said of the fame. "I got my 97 hours."

Then the cameras went away, and Schanz left to shower and go work a 12-hour shift at Qdoba Mexican Grill. He'll be sitting in Row 4 to the right of home plate come Opening Day.

About 100 people waiting in line at Meijer in Eastgate walked away empty-handed when a computer glitch prevented the store selling tickets.

Once the opener sold out, some fans walked from the ballpark with tickets in their pockets and grins on their faces. Others stuck around for tickets for the remaining 80 home games, which went on sale at 10 a.m. Still others took their Opening Day seats and put them up on eBay, which had more than 150 listings for Reds-Mets tickets Saturday night.

For those desperate to go to the opener, online auctions aren't the only way to score seats. There are always season-ticket packages, Butcher said, which are still available.

It's amazing the kind of loyalty that any team can create...I went to Royals opening day in 2003, the year after they went 62-100, and Kauffman Stadium was ROCKIN'! You would have thought that they were a playoff team the year before if you looked at that crowd...the stadium was full, the people were loud, it was great times.

Oh, and we beat the White Sox 3-0, and Mike MacDougal, our rookie closer, struck Frank Thomas out in the 9th inning...froze him solid and mowed him down. Damn, that was a good time.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...=cin&m=4&y=2005

They are off on the 5th of April but they play on the 6th and it is televised.

C'mon April! I'm gonna have to dust off my password for use over at the Redszone forums. It's been a while. :unsure: