MocK 7 rds

cover2

This would be a decent draft class.

Merriman looks better every day and Murphy would give P-Dub a run for his money immediately.

Would rather see Chris Spencer or Jason Brown over Wilkerson, though.

Claridge will probably come in too slow to fit the ML's LB bill and I'd be surprise if Geisinger doesn't go before the 7th.

Wilson and Sensabaugh would be nice Day 2 picks to bolster the secondary.

1 Merriman's too small

2 Murphy will be available in round 3, possibly 4, unless his combine workout change things dramatically. I do like him.

3 Wilkerson is good at 3, but if Spencer is available, I'd say we're better off with him.

4 A decent DL like Babineaux or Sione Pouha, or very fast LB like McCune or James Kinney should be available here.

5 Never have another Stanley Wilson, particularly the son of the one who may have cost us the victory at our last Super bowl appearance, on this team. No. Too much of a side story and a distraction.

6 and 7 - target top athletes (speed/strength/size/athletic ability/character/smarts) who can play special teams and be trained to work their way into offensive of defensive snaps over time as they gain experience. Not sure these two fit that bill.

Here is Huddle Reports NEW 7-Rounder....and I think a lot of you will be pleasantly suprised.

17 TE Heath Miller Virginia

48 WR Terrence Murphy Texas A&M

83 DE Bill Swancutt Oregon St

113 OC Chris Spencer Mississippi

144 LB Ryan Claridge UNLV

175 S Aaron Francisco BYU

210 OT Trai Essex Northwestern

Ok, I guess if I had to make some picks, it would go like this.

1st round-Travis Johnson=fills need, best player at his position

2nd round-Kevin Everett=good TE, hell, he played for Miami

3rd round-Chris Spencer=fills need, best player at his position

and after that.....its anyones guess

Here is Huddle Reports NEW 7-Rounder....and I think a lot of you will be pleasantly suprised.

17 TE Heath Miller Virginia

48 WR Terrence Murphy Texas A&M

83 DE Bill Swancutt Oregon St

113 OC Chris Spencer Mississippi

144 LB Ryan Claridge UNLV

175 S Aaron Francisco BYU

210 OT Trai Essex Northwestern

I'd be pleasantly surprised if ANY of the top 4 are there when Bengals pick in those rounds. IMO they will all be gone by then.

The Skins won't get the Edwards or Mike Williams if either should fall out of Top 5 because the Vikes would grab either at 7 now. So they could bite on Miller at #9 but if not I don't see Mooch passing on him at #10.

Murphy might be available at 48 if the Bears can get either Edwards or Mike Williams w/ pick # 4. But even then the Bears seem likely to grab another WR with their 2nd round pick because they got crap right now. A WR free agent sigining by the Bears would change that.

Swancutt had a great Senior Bowl vs. weak comp (the best being Ray Willis who he abused). He has great speed off the snap and power for his size, which should boost him into 2nd round given the fall off at true 4-3 DEs after him.

Spencer might not last past round 2 much less 3.

Claridge in 4th I doubt because he don't quite seem to fit the ML bill speedwise for LBs.

Francisco is interesting but I've got him going late 4th because his frame will allow him to gain SS size with FS abilities and speed.

Don't think an OT will drafted by Bengals this year, even in 7th.

I can see them drafting a less experienced athletic guy to groom as the heir apparent at LT, same as they drafted the athletic marvel Andrews to groom behind Big Willy.

This'd be no earlier than round 5

Seems too early to groom at LT w/ Jones decent enough and young. Plus Steinbach is backup LT.

But the case for a serviceable backup at LT was glaring in 2003 when Levi went down and Scott Rehberg crapped himself vs. Terrell Suggs and Ravens.

If Bengals opt for LT in draft, the likes of Calvin Armstrong, Adam Kieft, and Michael Roos should be there for 5th rd pick.

1. Anttaj Hawthorne over Travis Johnson. He's more along the Warren Sapp lines and Johnson has on and off field problems. 2. Donte Nicholson SS, Oklahoma. Strong against the run. 3. Craphonso Thorpe Florida State. Tall and blazing speed. 4. Vince Carter C, Oklahoma, started all 4 years and is very athletic- just needs to add bulk.