Are the Bengal's a finesse team?

walzav29

It depends on how you understand the word finesse, I guess.

He is building a team based on speed and not big guys that will just barrel you over. Still, it's wrong to assume that speed doesn't equal hard-hitting smash mouth football.

I think that, when he's finished, this team will be as physical and hard-nosed as anyone.

I was reading an espn magazine the other day, and it said that the Marvin is building a finesse team, and that they are in the wrong division for that. If the Bengal's are a finesse team that sucks. I though Marvin was building a hardass team.

Just what did ESPN mean by this ?

That while the Bengals are building an Explosive Offense the rest of the division is still pretty much about "3 yards and a cloud of dust" ?

I think in Year 3 of the Marvin Lewis Era, we'll see just exactly what type of a team we are.

If Perry is the future of the team, then we'll probably have an offense that resembles the Chiefs.

But the real tell will come from how well our defense plays " AGAIN " ! Whether or not we have some players with some nuts that want to scare the living sh*t out of their opponents, or the same 'ol same 'ol, read and react nonsense!

I don't know about finesse, but the way this team keeps improving year to year, whatever you want to call them, it sure will be pretty.

As to what ESPN meant, I think they were referring to the high and quick scoring offense, versus the usual "grind it out" the rest of the division sports. Either way, it won't be how our offense does not fit, but how our defense responds the the challenge. We can be the Chiefs in this division, as long as we have a hard nosed defense.

(Which I just now noticed is three Browns teams and one Pitt. Its funny how one man more or less built a division himself.)

I think in Year 3 of the Marvin Lewis Era, we'll see just exactly what type of a team we are.

If Perry is the future of the team, then we'll probably have an offense that resembles the Chiefs.

But the real tell will come from how well our defense plays " AGAIN " ! Whether or not we have some players with some nuts that want to scare the living sh*t out of their opponents, or the same 'ol same 'ol, read and react nonsense!

Well I'm okay with the offense being considered "finesse," (although I think it does sound kinda "foo-foo.") but not for the defense.

I, like Chris, want a defensive unit that basically has it's way with other teams offenses in the same manner as big ol' Bubba does with his new prison cellmate! Total and absolute DOMINATION!!

Yeah...I'm not a big fan of the read and react either because in the past, it seemed to me more often than not, the Bengals defense would read...then it was followed by the usual reaction. For them to walk off the field because the other team was lining up for the extra point! :angry:

I won't be completely happy until during a game I see a Bengals down lineman unexpectedly lurch slightly forward just before the snap, and the other teams entire offensive line flinch hard as though they expected to get hit by a train! Make them worry about who does what, in the manner of Ray Lewis. His only reaction is to bust people up. I like that in a defensive player. A lot. B)

Recently, I heard Marvin say he wanted to shutout every team and score 50 points -- Now thats the kind of domination I want.

NO MORE PREVENT DEFENSES!! -- lets shut somebody out and keep scoring!!

NO MORE PREVENT DEFENSES!! -- lets shut somebody out and keep scoring!!

God I HATE the "Prevent" defense! IMO, all that does is prevent you from winning the close game as you intended. Keep playing the same defense that has put you ahead in the game for crissakes! :angry:

I'm with Kirk...I don't care what kind of team they are when they win. Whether we have to win like we did vs. Miami or like we did vs. Cleveland, it matters not...we still win.

And we should be doing a lot of that in 2005.

BN1281