Nextel Cup de-emphasizes qualifying

BengalszoneBilly

I really don't know if I like this idea too much right now. Anyway here's the article. Thank god there's some racing on this weekend!

Mercury News Staff and Wire Reports

Nextel Cup drivers are looking forward to working more on race setups now that NASCAR has given the top teams a free pass into the field.

Beginning with next week's Daytona 500, the top 35 teams in car owner points from 2004 will make the lineup. After five races, 2005 points will determine the automatic berths.

So, top teams will no longer need to spend much time on qualifying setups. Other factors, mostly qualifying speeds, will fill the final eight spots in the 43-car fields.

Qualifying speeds will continue to determine most starting positions for races except the Daytona 500. Under Daytona's system, most of the grid for the Feb. 20 race will be set by finishing order in 150-mile qualifying races Thursday.

The drivers are nearly unanimous in their support of NASCAR's latest rule change.

``Maybe qualifying isn't as important as what we felt,'' three-time Daytona 500 champion Dale Jarrett said Thursday at Daytona International Speedway. ``It's never paid any points and it doesn't pay a whole lot of money, yet we've always gotten more time to practice for qualifying than what we actually got to practice for the race.

``Now, it's the opposite. The race is where the points are paid, where the money's paid and where the trophy is given. I think we're making a step in the right direction. I think it's going to make for better racing.''

Jeff Green said NASCAR Busch Series teams have concentrated their practice time on race setups for years and that it's going to work just fine in Nextel Cup.

``I think you can win these races from no matter where you're at, from any position, if you've got a good enough race car,'' Green said. ``The main thing is just getting your car handling well.''

I suppose I'll just have to wait and see, just as I did with the whole "Chase" thing last season. I was just as apprehensive about that as I am here, and we all saw how well that worked out!

Well it's new and I'm not sure either how it's going to turn out. I'm thinking theoretically, but, I can't complain about NASCAR's rule changes -- seems like they've done pretty well so far.

Not included in the above statement: NASCAR’s single rule "actions detrimental to stock car racing" WTF that is -- Jr. vs. Stewart and hypocrisy. Oh, and removing the Rockingham track.