Crennel takes Browns job

jjakq27

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/n...rts/3943.0.html

Crennel accepts offer from Browns

By Pat McManamon, Editor

February 6, 2005

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – It appears the Browns finally have their new head coach.

The Browns offered the job to New England defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel shortly after Super Bowl XXXIX and he accepted.

“John Collins called (after the game) and he said they wanted to offer me the head coaching job,” Crennel said in a private moment outside the team’s locker room. “I was excited about that. From the interview I felt like they all were really good people, genuine people. I’m excited about the opportunity to work with them.”

Negotiations between the Browns and Crennel’s agent, Joe Linta, were to begin Monday at the team’s Berea, Ohio, facility.

The Browns hope to announce Crennel’s hiring on Tuesday or Wednesday, and then let him start building a staff.

Crennel earned the offer with an impressive interview with Browns owner Randy Lerner, team president John Collins, and general manager Phil Savage on Jan. 7.

“I put my best foot forward,” Crennel said on Super Bowl Media Day on Tuesday. “If their impression was that I floored them, then that’s great.”

Crennel’s message?

“That I’m a capable individual and I can handle the job,” he said.

Crennel would replace Butch Davis, who resigned in November. Crennel has been the Patriots’ defensive coordinator since 2001 and has played a key role in New England appearing in three of the last four Super Bowl titles.

He worked for the Browns as defensive coordinator in 2000, and previously worked as special teams and defensive line coach for Bill Parcells in New York and New England. The Giants twice won Super Bowls with Crennel as an assistant coach.

Crennel said he brings “a certain amount of NFL winning experience” to a team.

“I’ve coached special teams, defensive line, been a coordinator and been successful at all those positions,” he said. “Being able to deal with players - I can deal with people, the media and the whole bit. I think you will see that I can handle myself, handle players and handle the team.”

Iamb sure with this signing the Clowns will be telling everyone how great they'll be and now they are tops in the AFC North. Can't wait for the SH$T to start spuing from the North

Ya know...I'm surprised we haven't heard about it already from our occasional Brownie fans! <_<

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/8205085

Crennel adds two more to Browns staff

NFL.com wire reports

CLEVELAND (eb. 17, 2005) -- Todd Grantham, who spent the past three seasons coaching Houston's defensive linemen, was hired as defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns.

Browns coach Romeo Crennel also added Dave Atkins to his staff as running backs coach. Atkins was with New Orleans the last five seasons.

The Texans played a 3-4 defensive scheme, the kind Crennel used with New England and wants to implement with the Browns.

"Todd is energetic and dynamic in how he motivates his players, helping them reach their potential," Crennel said. "He has a good background with the 3-4 defense and will certainly enhance what we are building here."

Grantham wasn't Crennel's first choice. The Browns tried to lure Patriots defensive backs coach Eric Mangini to Cleveland, but Mangini stayed with New England, replacing Crennel as defensive coordinator.

Atkins previously worked with Crennel in 1993 on Bill Parcells' staff in New England.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/8208116

Browns add Buckeyes coach Tucker

NFL.com wire reports

CLEVELAND (Feb. 18, 2005) -- Mel Tucker, an Ohio State assistant coach the past four seasons, joined the Cleveland Browns as defensive backs coach.

Tucker, a Cleveland native, is the latest addition to new coach Romeo Crennel's staff. Tucker coached the Buckeyes' defensive backs, serving as a co-defensive coordinator for Jim Tressel last season.

"Coaching at Ohio State has been an unbelievable experience and I will always have a special place in my heart for the Buckeyes and our national championship team," Tucker said. "To have the opportunity to work with Romeo Crennel is one I could not pass up."

Tucker played at Cleveland Heights High School and earned four letters at Wisconsin. Before coaching at OSU, he spent two years at Miami of Ohio and one at LSU under Nick Saban, now with the Dolphins.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/CLE/8210764

Browns hire Rutgers' Melvin as D-line coach

NFL.com wire reports

CLEVELAND (Feb. 19, 2005) -- Randy Melvin, Rutgers' defensive line coach the last two seasons, took the same position with the Cleveland Browns.

Melvin is the latest addition to new coach Romeo Crennel's staff. He previously worked with Crennel as the Patriots' defensive line coach from 2000 to 2001.

"Randy has developed several very good defensive lineman," Crennel said. "He brings a very structured and organized approach and is an excellent teacher. He will certainly be an asset to our coaching staff."

Melvin had accepted a job as an assistant coach at Illinois earlier this month.