SCHUELER TE for #1pick

Maybe the Bengals should draft Heath Schueler TE if available.This would give us a tightend that we havent had since Dan Ross. He is being compared to tony Gonzalez and another target would help our offense. We could always get a descent dt later like Castilla out of Northwestern or de Matt Roth out of Iowa. Also maybe we should draft a qb in the later rounds. That way we could be grooming another qb behind Carson. Its always good to have a good backup in case of injury. Someone like Hamilton of Auburn or Chang out of Hawaii.

Does anyone think the dt out of Utah would be a good pick? Hes 26;but built ike a house. Someone like that could sure clog the line of scrimmage for us against the run. REDSFAN2510

Heath Shuler is making a comeback at TE?

man, if he is as bad at that as he was at QB... :o

BN1281

Exactly like turningpoint said, unless he has a terrible combine, he should be gone by 17, and IMO isn't worth trading up for. Miller's very good, but he's not fast enough to be the elite type of downfield threat that Tony Gonzalez or Todd Heap are. On the other hand, Alex Smith in the 2nd..... B) I would be for taking a QB in a later round, maybe like the 5th. Campbell will be long gone however and Chang sucks. I'd go for someone like Ryan Fitzpatrick (Harvard), Derek Anderson (Oregon State), or Dustin Long (I-AA).

That's why I think we could go DE/WR in the 1st, or we could just completely trade out of the 1st round. Then TE in the 2nd, if we have 2 #2's, then go TE and C/S (Ernest Shazor). Then in the 3rd, if one hasn't been picked already, we go S (Josh Bullocks/Jamaal Brimmer). In the fourth, we could pick up someone like Ronald Fields, a true run-stuffer. This way, the Bengals can still go TE and end up with a new Safety and a run-plugging DT.

trading out of the 1st round should warrent us at least 2 extra 2nd round picks.... so 3 2nd round picks.

Anyways I don't think we need another QB. Casey Bramlet is learning as the 3rd QB and Kitna is the solid veteran Backup, now my opinion would definitly change if we trade Kitna, then maybe we should draft a qb and puts our hopes on Carson not getting hurt, and if he does get hurt, Casey can come in and play decent enough for us 2 win.

we can wait till the 7th for a TE

ANTHONY CURTIS of Portland St. The guy is a big time sleeper. Check out his scouting report at http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerpro...honycurtis.html

this may be a long shot but...

small school, right size, 7th round or maybe nondrafted. sounds like antonio gates.

Miller and Alex Smith are the Top 2 TEs and are likely the only 2 picked in the 1st day.

Miller seems to have a good shot of going to the Redskins or Lions at 9 or 10. Then again he could fall and the Bengals could get a shot at him.

I'd rather see the Bengals draft Alex Smith. His performance in the Senior Bowl was excellent in all phases including blocking where he has a definite upper hand over Miller.

The Jets should be interested in Smith w/ the 26 pick since their TE Becht is a free agent and average besides and they need more offensive weapons. The Bengals could trade down to the Broncs pick at 25 for Reuben Droughns and pick Smith at 25.

Doesn't help the D but would bolster the O in short and long term.

Good point turningpoint, I was thinking of last year when teams at the end of Round 1 traded their 1st rounders and only got 1 second rounder. But since we're at 17, we should get at least 2 #2's. And that way we'd be able to go S, TE, and C all in the 2nd. That Curtis is intriguing, but after the Senior Bowl, Smith's the guy as far as I'm concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi;

I am the GM for the Bengals in mock draft IV held at

http://www.nflfans.com/draft/

I'm emphasizing speed, character, and productivity - albeit not ignoring any of the other factors - as I believe these are highly valued by any Marvin Lewis coached team.

I had a a few players projected ahead of him if they were available, but TE Heath Miller fits the above specs and can probably start on this team this year - a factor I felt should have been considered before the Bengals drafted RB Chris Perry last year. Still mad about that, but I digress... I don't like the character issues I saw with the two top tackles, and so I skipped over them, despite nearly every mock draft taking one of them or some other DL.

For round 2, I had projected DT Luis Castillo would fall to 48, but he sadly didn't. I think SS Nicholson starts for the Bengals this year as well, though....

I am targeting a Center for round 3, and hoping either DT Babineaux or DT Sione Pouha fall to round 4, which is where this particular mock ends.

Great draft info on this site, btw.