Reds Hall of Fame

jjakq27

https://secure.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cin/fan_f...ballot_form.jsp

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...useum/index.jsp

The Reds are allowing fans to vote on the next three inductees to the Reds HOF. My votes are for Davis, Rijo and Browning.

Jeff Brantley, P

Tom Browning, P

Eric Davis, OF

Rob Dibble, P

Dan Driessen, 1B

Tom Hume, P

Ray Knight, 3B

Hal Morris, 1B

Ron Oester, 2B

Paul O'Neill, OF

Dave Parker, OF

Jose Rijo, P

Tom Seaver, P

Chris Sabo, 3B

Man...1990 what a year.

Both the Reds and the Bengals are overdue for another good season. What is up with this seemingly endless dark period for Cincinnati sports? :angry: Did someone I didn't hear about in Cincinnati majorly piss God off? :blink:

It would seem so, having the two main sports team tank for so long! Anyway good post. I'm off to vote for my picks. B)

Man...1990 what a year.

Both the Reds and the Bengals are overdue for another good season. What is up with this seemingly endless dark period for Cincinnati sports? :angry: Did someone I didn't hear about in Cincinnati majorly piss God off? :blink:

It would seem so, having the two main sports team tank for so long! Anyway good post. I'm off to vote for my picks. B)

ESPN did a top ten longest droughts in professional sports respective to the city within the four major sports.

Cincinnati was 10th.

San Diego was first place. (40+ years ??)

Just a sidenote for you Bengals fans looking for something to attack Bills fans with, we ranked better.

Just a sidenote for you Bengals fans looking for something to attack Bills fans with, we ranked better.

Ooh! Good ammo. Consider me locked and loaded in condition 1! B)

Quick question: How many times can you vote in this?

ESPN did a top ten longest droughts in professional sports respective to the city within the four major sports.

Cincinnati was 10th. 

San Diego was first place.  (40+ years ??)

Irony of ironies! Did you know that Buffalo State College's mascot is the Bengals Tiger? Ha, ha. I guess Willisdownyourleg doesn't go there.

http://www.buffalostate.edu/athletics/

man i wish the reds had a hitter like davis still on the team. he was so fun to watch in the field and at the plate. i was hoping griffey would be that person and he has been nothing but a disappointment.

davis should be on everyones top 3 regardless of ur knowledge :)

• 1 month later...

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...s_cin&fext=.jsp

02/23/2005 2:40 PM ET

Davis, Rijo heading to Hall

Wright brothers also selected for Reds Hall of Fame

By Todd Lorenz / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- The results are in. After more than four weeks and 30,000 votes, Eric Davis and Jose Rijo will join 19th century stars Harry Wright and George Wright as the 2005 Reds Hall of Fame inductees.

"It's a real pleasure, No. 1," Davis said Wednesday. "Number two, I'm not surprised by the fans voting me in because I've always had a great relationship with them, they've always been knowledgeable fans. If you play good baseball they appreciate that, if you don't play good baseball they're going to let you know about it.

"To me, it's more gratifying to be elected (to) anything by the fans because you know they appreciate the things that you do or what you've done."

The teammates from the 1990 World Series Champions were selected by fans in an online vote from a 14-player list compiled by the Cincinnati chapter of the Baseball Writers Association of America. Along with Davis and Rijo, the list included Jeff Brantley, Tom Browning, Rob Dibble, Dan Driessen, Tom Hume, Ray Knight, Hal Morris, Ron Oester, Paul O'Neill, Dave Parker, Tom Seaver and Chris Sabo.

The foursome will be honored during ceremonies prior to the 7:10 p.m. game on June 11 against the Baltimore Orioles.

Davis' wife, Sherri, was the first person he informed when he received word of the results.

"Actually, she wasn't as excited as I was," Davis said. "We got the letter in January about being on the ballot, she said, 'Aw, you'll get that.' She had a little bit more confidence in the fans than I did."

Davis, who claimed the top spot with a total of 6,609 votes, spent nine of his 17 seasons with the Reds. He finished his Major League career with a .269 batting average, 282 home runs, 934 RBIs and 349 stolen bases in 1,626 games.

A two-time All-Star and three-time Gold Glove winner, his best season with the Reds came in 1987 when he became the first Reds' player to join the 30/30 club by hitting .281 with 37 home runs, 100 RBIs and 50 steals.

"As far as the team accolade (winning the World Series), that's the highest," Davis said. "To watch Tom Browning's perfect game was special, to hit for the cycle was special, to hit 30 home runs and (have) 30 steals was special, to watch Barry Larkin set the shortstop home run record was special, to watch Pete Rose break the hit record was special. To me, my career in Cincinnati was a never-ending saga of great things that happened."

One of Davis' other fondest memories was his first game in the Major Leagues.

"Probably my first game when I got called up in 1984," Davis said. "We were in St. Louis, and I don't know if they told (equipment manager) Bernie (Stowe) if I was coming or not. I made an appearance in my first game with no name or number on my back. I guess I caught them by surprise. I felt like I had to make a name and find me a number."

More remarkable than his numbers, however, is the fact that the center fielder twice won Comeback Player of the Year honors.

After finishing the 1994 season with the Tigers, a herniated neck disc forced Davis into retirement. He was back on the field two years later, however, and went on to hit .287 with 26 home runs and 83 RBIs for Cincinnati.

The center fielder soon overcame even greater odds. Diagnosed with colon cancer in 1997, Davis returned to hit a career-best .327 with 28 home runs and 89 RBIs in 131 games for the Orioles in 1998.

Today, Davis is involved in several business enterprises.

"I have my own independent production company, my own independent record label," he said. "I started my own full-fledged real estate company."

Rijo, who edged Browning by less than 200 votes to earn induction, spent 10 of his 14 seasons with the Reds. Although he never won more than 15 games in a season, he strung together an impressive stretch in which he posted an ERA below 3.00 from 1988-1993. He finished his career with a 116-91 record and a 3.24 ERA.

Rijo is best remembered for his MVP performance in the 1990 World Series. Almost single-handedly, the right-hander led the Reds over the heavily-favored A's. In two starts, Rijo went 2-0 with a 0.59 ERA, allowing just nine hits and one earned run in 15 1/3 innings.

"Jose was a tremendous pitcher," Davis said. "When you think of all the great players in the history of the franchise, (to) have your name with those guys is special. Whenever you get those initials (HOF) they are synonymous with success. It's gratifying to know."

Rijo was unavailable for comment.

Like Davis, Rijo also made a remarkable comeback for the Reds.

Following a six-year absence and five surgeries on his right elbow, Rijo returned to Major Leagues in 2001, posting a 2.12 ERA in 13 relief appearances for the Reds.

He went 5-4 in 31 games the next season, making his final career appearance as the Reds' starting pitcher in the final game played at Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field.

A veterans committee, consisting of members of the local chapter of the BBWAA, considers players who retired prior to 1985 for induction. This year the committee decided to honor Harry and George Wright, who were the leaders of the 1869-70 Red Stockings.

The brothers led the team to a 57-0 season in 1869 and began 1870 with 24 straight wins before suffering a loss.

Harry, the older of the two brothers, served as captain (or manager), center fielder and the primary relief pitcher for the Red Stockings from 1866-70. His teams pioneered innovations such as relay throws and fielders backing one another up, as well as weight-training programs. He was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1953.

George played shortstop for the Red Stockings for two seasons, in 1869 and 1870 when he hit a whopping .633 and .536, respectively. He was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1939.

The four inductees bring the total number of players in the Reds Hall of Fame to 68.

TOP VOTE GETTERS

1. Eric Davis-6,609

2. Jose Rijo-6,014

3. Tom Browning-5,822

4. Paul O'Neill-2,688

5. Chris Sabo-2,685

6. Tom Seaver-2,589