Can the media stop making CD look like the victim?

Dan2330

That commercial rocks.

Did you guys like the game he played today? He was awesome. 23 carries 144 yards, add to that 5 catches for 17 yards. Not to mention a couple clutch runs for first downs when it looked like he was down. He carried his team. That 42 yard run he showed speed that rudi could only dream of, rudi johnson loses 2 yards on that play. I know you were all hoping he would suck today so you could make a post saying dillon sucks, unfortunately for you guys he kicked ass and you were forced to make fun of him because the media shows him the respect he deserves. Lame.

Corey Dillon on a broken arm is better then Rudi Johnson.

That's ridiculous. Dillon made no real move to break free on that run...just ran through a huge hole and broke outside...where he was eventually pulled down after being caught from behind by the FS. IMHO there is no way Dillon gets caught on that play earlier in his career. In fact, I doubt Rudi Johnson or Kevin Faulk would have been caught at all on that play had they been the ball carrier.

All of which reminds me that I watched Dillon break a 47 yarder earlier in the season. On that play too, he made no moves...yet went completely untouched...before being brought down by a chasing LB. A very nice gain, but Dillon looked so slow on the play I actually looked behind him to see if I could figure out what he must have been pulling. From the look of things I was thinking something like a small trailer, or perhaps a Craft-Matic Adjustable bed.

Bottom Line: We'll never know what Rudi Johnson might produce running behind Patriot blockers, but rushing behind almost exactly the same O-line as Dillon previously worked with Rudi Johnson rushed for more yards in a single season than Dillon ever did.

bs, he made a great run on that play, rudi johnson losees yards there, im wondering if we both saw the same play

and he wasnt run down from behind, the people who got him had the angle on him

Exactly that commercial does, rock. The fact is it's true. He deserved his spot on the commercial, he ran for 3rd most yds in the league, often leaving games early because his team had such large leads and even missing a game.

The man's the best damn pure running back seen in the past 8years, and we let him go.

It's great to be having Madiue Williams, but I'm sorry Rudi Will never be what Corey Dillon was to this team.

good to know some people here have sense

Wow I didn't realize dillon had a broken arm all those years! Whoo! That makes me feel better to know Corey was injured and that's why it only took Rudi 1 full year to break his rushing record! Thanks!

I meant that if i had the choice for one game of corey with a broken arm or rudi full strength, id take dillon.

How long asre we going to be bitching about Corey? He's gone....and we might be bitching about not having Rudi here soon if we don't resign him within the next month. :player:

when a legend leaves your team, it takes a while before hes forgotten, if rudi left, i doubt anyone would even think about it once the season started

Legend? Corey Dillon is a tumor that will be forgotten once he lets us cut him away.

Let me restate a point that has been made several times: RUDI BROKE HIS BENGALS SINGLE-SEASON RUSHING RECORD! IN HIS SECOND YEAR AS A STARTER! WITH A PATCHWORK OFFENSIVE LINE!

His "Legend" will be dead soon enough.

BN1281

I agree, even though the media won't let it,

A good point. I noted elsewhere that CD appears to have this ongoing need to justify his decision to leave, and I wonder how many of those "second thoughts" have to do with being continually challenged about his behavior/departure by the media.

I mean, had CD left while Coslet or LeBeau were the head coaches, it wouldn't even be an issue. Any mention of the Bengals in subsequent stories about CD would have only been to note his "escape," and crack a few "Bungles" jokes in the process.

But the national media constructed a new narrative when Marvin Lewis was hired. We'd always been the Bungles, but Lewis had always been the "head coach in waiting," touted for every opening since leaving Baltimore. Thus the "black Jesus" (or perhaps "black Moses" would be more appropriate) narrative: Marvin was going to lead the long-woebegone Bengals to the Promised Land.

However, every good redemption narrative needs its unbeliever. There are a number of examples in Exodus; Jesus, infamously, has Judas. And Marvin had Corey -- who seemed only too willing to play the role. Even as the Bengals rebounded from a 2-14 2002 to a shot at the playoffs in December 2003, there was Dillon, still raining on everyone's parade and grumbling that he'd gotten shafted and wanted out.

Can't blame sportswriters for harping on the point, I suppose. Like I said, it's a classic narrative, if not archetypal. And that may be why it resonates so powerfully with Corey (bringing out the aforemnentioned string of justifications) as well as generating such strong and long-lasting feelings of betrayal among the fans. Nobody like Judas; no one wants to think of themselves as Judas. But that's the story so far.

I agree, even though the media won't let it,

A good point. I noted elsewhere that CD appears to have this ongoing need to justify his decision to leave, and I wonder how many of those "second thoughts" have to do with being continually challenged about his behavior/departure by the media.

I mean, had CD left while Coslet or LeBeau were the head coaches, it wouldn't even be an issue. Any mention of the Bengals in subsequent stories about CD would have only been to note his "escape," and crack a few "Bungles" jokes in the process.

But the national media constructed a new narrative when Marvin Lewis was hired. We'd always been the Bungles, but Lewis had always been the "head coach in waiting," touted for every opening since leaving Baltimore. Thus the "black Jesus" (or perhaps "black Moses" would be more appropriate) narrative: Marvin was going to lead the long-woebegone Bengals to the Promised Land.

However, every good redemption narrative needs its unbeliever. There are a number of examples in Exodus; Jesus, infamously, has Judas. And Marvin had Corey -- who seemed only too willing to play the role. Even as the Bengals rebounded from a 2-14 2002 to a shot at the playoffs in December 2003, there was Dillon, still raining on everyone's parade and grumbling that he'd gotten shafted and wanted out.

Can't blame sportswriters for harping on the point, I suppose. Like I said, it's a classic narrative, if not archetypal. And that may be why it resonates so powerfully with Corey (bringing out the aforemnentioned string of justifications) as well as generating such strong and long-lasting feelings of betrayal among the fans. Nobody like Judas; no one wants to think of themselves as Judas. But that's the story so far.

That was good stuff. I've never really thought about the Lewis-Dillon saga in biblical terms, but it makes alot of sense.

And Corey said to thee, "tradeth me from thine team"

And Marvin took thy holy doorknob and said to thee, "Don't let the door hit you where my daddy split you, douchebag"

BN1281

I have no problem with Corey's ability.He is greatly talented.

It's his attitude.Sure he played for a loser,and that may help explain SOME of his attitude,such as "I'd rather flip burgers than play for the Bengals".

But calling Willie a bum?

Let's not forget when he made his rambling trade me speech,(which was after the trade deadline)the Bengals were rolling and had a very real shot at making the playoffs.

Nice timing Leon!!!

Again,he is a great talent.But I (and Marvin it would appear) would rather have a cancer free locker room.

Last but not least,I'm sick and tired of the Leon defenders stating "You need to quit crying/obsessing about Corey".I'd be happy to,but certain people here keep bringing him up.

If you're a Bengals fan,great.If you're a Dillon fan,then why don't you go peruse the Patriots boards,and stop annoying us here?

That isn't to say CD didn't have a good game, he did, but any NFL-caliber RB busts 100 yards with the kind of blocking he had yesterday.

Exactly. I'm not interested in attempting to demonize Corey Dillon or to imply that he still isn't a very effective NFL running back. He can still play at a high level. But for anyone to claim that Rudi Johnson loses 2 yards on the play Dillon rushed for 42 yards is blatantly stupid. You simply can't call it anything else.

As a RB Rudi Johnson may never prove himself to be Dillons true equal, but I'm pretty confident Rudi can run through the same huge opening as well as Dillon, and if untouched...as Dillon was....Rudi has proven he can stay upright while running forward. Granted, that's hardly a unique ability among NFL running backs, and that's exactly the point because I think most Bengal fans have seen enough of Corey Dillon running in his prime to recognize a lost step when they don't see it.

Let me restate a point that has been made several times: RUDI BROKE HIS BENGALS SINGLE-SEASON RUSHING RECORD! IN HIS SECOND YEAR AS A STARTER! WITH A PATCHWORK OFFENSIVE LINE!

Maybe next time Corey talks to Rudi on the phone he can tell him what its like to play in a meaningful game.

Maybe he can whine,throw childish tantrums,and make such a nuisance that the Bengals will trade him.Of course,it's now too late,the Bengals will be in the playoffs next year.

But WAIT!!!

My bad.Rudi is a class act,and wouldn't ever throw the anti-depressant mood swing tantrums Leon would.

Maybe next time Corey talks to Rudi on the phone he can tell him what its like to play in a meaningful game.

And maybe you could learn how to come up with a meaningful post.

Rudi did play in a meaningful game, two of them.

The Buffalo Bills game, and Baltimore Ravens game.

Just because it wasn't in the playoffs doesn't mean it wasn't meaningful.

Umm, it took him 7 consecutive seasons of losing for him to finally break and ask to go to a new team. Dont act like the bengals were doing good, then had a bad year and he asked to leave, thats not how it is.

Dude you are wrong about your facts. He acted like a bitch years ago. Saying he would rather flip burgers than resign with the Bengals until he re-signed of course. He pulled himself out of games in 1999 and 2000. After he apologized to coach this year and said he'd say nothing bad, he said his previous 7 years didn't exist and he considers himself a rookie. When we get ready to play NE everyone says it was a deal that worked out for both teams, now Shannon Sharpe says it was the steal of the century we never should've let him go, when he forced us to deal him, and Boomer didn't stick up for us. We're tired of everyone being on his dick. That's the long and short of it. Even when he came back after the injury last year and wanting to be traded, we gave him a big ovation. What more did he want? f**k him. He's good, so what. If he wasn't good, this wouldn't be a conversation. Where are ll the Mark Roman threads. Know your s**t before you buy into what he says. Dancing with 5 ho's wasted on Main Street the Saturday night before a game where he's supposed to finally come back and play does not equal I Don't Drink. You can't take him at his word, I saw it with my own eyes. So now he's going to say 7 years finally wore on me when we've been having attitude problems with him for years. You should not try to preach what you saw on NFL Today to people who have lived and breathed Bengals every day since before the days he was selling crack. CBS cares about good tv, not the facts.

A couple of guys we let get away are Kelly Greeg and Kimo VonOllhofen. We are weak up the middle and those two guys are productive players for the Ravens and the Steelers. They would have helped us more than Corey Dillon this year.

PS: Shannon Sharpe needs to go away.

Umm, it took him 7 consecutive seasons of losing for him to finally break and ask to go to a new team. Dont act like the bengals were doing good, then had a bad year and he asked to leave, thats not how it is.

Dude you are wrong about your facts. He acted like a bitch years ago. Saying he would rather flip burgers than resign with the Bengals until he re-signed of course. He pulled himself out of games in 1999 and 2000. After he apologized to coach this year and said he'd say nothing bad, he said his previous 7 years didn't exist and he considers himself a rookie. When we get ready to play NE everyone says it was a deal that worked out for both teams, now Shannon Sharpe says it was the steal of the century we never should've let him go, when he forced us to deal him, and Boomer didn't stick up for us. We're tired of everyone being on his dick. That's the long and short of it. Even when he came back after the injury last year and wanting to be traded, we gave him a big ovation. What more did he want? f**k him. He's good, so what. If he wasn't good, this wouldn't be a conversation. Where are ll the Mark Roman threads. Know your s**t before you buy into what he says. Dancing with 5 ho's wasted on Main Street the Saturday night before a game where he's supposed to finally come back and play does not equal I Don't Drink. You can't take him at his word, I saw it with my own eyes. So now he's going to say 7 years finally wore on me when we've been having attitude problems with him for years. You should not try to preach what you saw on NFL Today to people who have lived and breathed Bengals every day since before the days he was selling crack. CBS cares about good tv, not the facts.

B) Dam ........... You beat me to it.

What he said ..... Plus Dillons non problems started in college, which is why the Bengals were laughed at for drafting him in the first place. That was actually the start of " It's not my fault .... I was reacting to a bad situation ..... Thank you for taking me .... all I need is a chance " and on and on ad nauseum.

Dillon is a good running back. Dillon is also a dick. He got around to acting the part in college ..... he got around to it here .... and eventually he'll get around to it in Beantown too.

Say what you want about all he wanted was to be a winner .... he's changed ...... we're good and you're bad. etc. etc etc. Point is most of us don't give a rats ass. My favorite team is the Bengals, My second favorite team is the Bengals 2nd squad. Pats ( dillon ) Bills ( spikes ) don't even make the radar screen. I rooted for Dillon while he was here, and now as far as I'm concerned ... there is no Dillon. He ..... as well as all his new jock suckers are a non issue.

Dillon doesn't live here anymore and dontpushme never did live here. Put as much Vaseline on Dildon as it takes ...... stick him up as far as you can where the sun don't shine ... and toddle off into the sunset. You will all be happy, and we won't really notice.

You may go now. <_<

Rudi did play in a meaningful game, two of them.

The Buffalo Bills game, and Baltimore Ravens game.

Just because it wasn't in the playoffs doesn't mean it wasn't meaningful.

Yeah, well he screwed up in the Bills game. :ph34r:

He didnt screw up in the Bills game...he had 130 yds rushing. Kitna screwed up.

Thirty yards or something like that in garbage time; twenty yards and then coughed up the ball. The rest was a big first quarter and a stretch where he had a couple of series in which he lost yardage on third and short. Without the fumble, he didn't screw up. With the fumble, he screwed up right along with Kitna and a few other guys. Kitna was the BIG screw-up, but Rudi screwed up too.

I'm glad to see Corey Dillon do well, and I hope he doesn't mess it up for himself. He's a good player and has earned a second chance. Obviously the Patriots saw something in him that they could use. I'm sentimentally for the Steelers, but I'm pretty sure that the Patriots are actually the best team and deserve to win. So if they do, that's just great, and I'll be happy for Corey Dillon.

I like to see people do well. Why should I take it personally if Dillon didn't want to be here? I don't either. My being here is business and his not being here is business. I like seeing the Bengals do well now that they're actually making an effort to do well. If they win 6 games or 16, it's great, as long as they are physical and make their best effort to win as an organization. Players will come and go. I hate to see anyone ruin their career. As long as their shooting off their mouth doesn't have a negative effect on my bread-and-butter existence, why should I be so petty as to resent their antics in perpetuity?

God bless Corey Dillon and may he ever be vindicated. And, if he screws up, it's on him.