Bengals to sign T.J. before Free Agency

chrishcovga

Marvin wanted to sign Rudi to the 3 year, 17 mil deal last year when he had the chance but the Brown family balked and drafted Perry as insurance...I think some people believe Marvin has more control over the budget and personnel decisions than he really does. If he did, he would've had Rudi signed as soon as Dillon took off.

Do you have a source for any of this, or is it just speculation?

Signing Rudi long-term after last season was not a no-brainer. I can easily see Marvin wanting to wait, especially when there's already big money wrapped up in offensive players like Chad and Carson, and no corresponding stud on his defense. His pursuits of Vincent and Sapp last year showed clearly that if he was going to spend big bucks, he wanted to spend it on defense.

Meanwhile, Rudi had no incentive to sign last year, and still has none this year, unless the Bengals drop a mountain of money on him. It's in his own best interest to go see what the open market will give him. I expect the Bengals to at least tramnsition him, so if his value turns out to be less than he hopes, they can match and keep him.

As to whether Perry can replace Rudi, there's at least one person who thinks he'd do OK: Rudi. From today's Enquirer:

After declining to speak to reporters after the game Sunday, Johnson talked warmly about the honor and briefly discussed his unsettled situation.

Between bites of lunch, chicken breast and rice, he expressed confidence in Perry's ability to replace him, if necessary.

"If they put him in that role, I think he'll do fine," Johnson said of Perry, who carried just twice as an NFL rookie after having 338 attempts at Michigan in 2003.

I think Rudi can/will sign with another team for about 4-5 mil more than the Bengals are going to give him.....beacuase of his durability. I really hope he stays...I'm looking forward to seeing him play next year in the jungle......but ya can't blame a guy for taking the $$$$$$$$$ . Hell, An extra $4 mil and a contract and house in Miami?!?!!??! ....seeeeee yaaaaaaaaaaaaa