Bengals-Giants Game Thread.

turningpoint

I'm for Rudi, but I'm more for the Bengals and if it makes the team better off w/o him, then I'm for his departure as well. You know the old saying, you're as good as your linemen; against the Giants the evidence of what our potential $5-8 million back can do when things don't go our way -- humm, I just think we can spend our $ a little more wisely

Exactly. I'd love to keep Rudi, but the numbers being batted around now (Rudi wants 3 years @ $17 million per the Enquirer) could be put to better use building a dominant o-line. Do that and you can pluck Joe Halfback from East Bumphuck State and turn him into a 1,200 yard rusher.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm for Rudi, but I'm more for the Bengals and if it makes the team better off w/o him, then I'm for his departure as well.  You know the old saying, you're as good as your linemen; against the Giants the evidence of what our potential $5-8 million back can do when things don't go our way -- humm, I just think we can spend our $ a little more wisely

Exactly. I'd love to keep Rudi, but the numbers being batted around now (Rudi wants 3 years @ $17 million per the Enquirer) could be put to better use building a dominant o-line. Do that and you can pluck Joe Halfback from East Bumphuck State and turn him into a 1,200 yard rusher.

i.e. Denver.

I've actually had my eye on Dayne for a while now. His contract is up this year and he and the Giants can't wait to part ways. IMHO, the Jints never really used him right; he's a downhill between-the-tackles type runner, and you need to feed him the ball 25 times a game so he can wear down the opposing defensive line. Instead they kept splitting him with Barber and it was a rare game where he really got started. But yeah, give him blocking and he'll rumble along just fine.

Stay away from Dayne. Trust me on this one. He only looks like a between the tackles type runner, but he has far more success (which isn't saying much) outside the tackles. Its because he's like Rudi - when there isn't much there, he hesitates. With a great offensive line Dayne or Rudi would be spectacular, but neither will do anything on their own.

With a great offensive line Dayne or Rudi would be spectacular, but neither will do anything on their own.

That's just my point. Dayne isn't going to command anywhere near the bucks Rudi will, but would pile up the same kind of yards given a good o-line and lots of carries. They seem real high on this Wilson kid, tho, so right now I'm not sure they'd even hurry to pick up another RB if Rudi left. We shall see.

With a great offensive line Dayne or Rudi would be spectacular, but neither will do anything on their own.

That's just my point. Dayne isn't going to command anywhere near the bucks Rudi will, but would pile up the same kind of yards given a good o-line and lots of carries. They seem real high on this Wilson kid, tho, so right now I'm not sure they'd even hurry to pick up another RB if Rudi left. We shall see.

Okay, I'm with you now. At league minimum, I think Dayne would be worth a shot...

Sure, Rudi ain't the 3rd down back that Greg Jones would have made if he had been picked instead of Perry, but as far as North-South between the tackles with the ability to break tackles in a crease, Rudi won't be easily replaced.

Chris Perry? Please :wacko: Not even close to Rudi North-South wise. Better vision with better cutting ability but IMO not quick enough to turn upfield after cut at the NFL level. Granted, a much better receiver than Rudi, whose pass catching skills cost 3 INTs this year IIRC due in a big way to how awkard he is when he has his back to the D.

Greg Jones? Are you joking? If not thats one of the funniest things i have ever read on this board. :lol:

Greg Jones is terrible, and NOT WHAT THIS TEAM IS LOOKING FOR. People like you would probly be happy if we put tony williams in at RB. "Hey, hes huge, hes gotta be good!" Greg Jones will be nothing in the NFL. A goal line back at best, might end up at FB, hed be alright at that position. You guys dont get what the bengals are looking for in a RB, they want one like perry who can do it all, a complete back, who can receive and run equally as well. And Perry IS quick enough to turn it up feild after making cuts. He was the 2nd fastest RB in this draft after Tatum Bell. You are not going to get RBs on a regular basis that run in the low 4.4 or 4.3 range. Perry is a quick, fast RB, who can catch, break tackles, and really do it all. He will be the closest thing to Dillon this franchise will ever see.

Obviously he wont be as good as Dillon. Dillon is argueably the best RB in the NFL, and a future hall of famer, not the kind of player you can replace easily, but we can try!

I have some bad information for you Don't Push Me, but Perry wasn't the second fastest back in the draft.... :lol:

Perry ran a 4.56 at the combine !

Greg Jones ran 4.45 ! - As a matter of fact, teams were enamored by his physique and his ability to run as fast he did considering his weight. As a matter of fact, a lot of scouts ( ourlads ) ( pro scouting services ) and ( Drugstore list ) figured Greg Jones to be the closest thing to Jamal Lewis. having the combination of size and superior breakaway speed.

* The only knock on Jones was the fact that he was recovering from an ACL injury and teams were concerned about taking a back that high.

** Funny thing though, Jamal Lewis tore his ACL at Tennessee and Baltimore still saw enough in him to take him at # 5 in the 2000 draft.

Also , here is a list of running backs that timed faster than Chris Perry at the Combine.

1. Steven Jackson rb, Oregon st.

2. Cedric Cobbs rb, Arkansas

3. Thomas Tapeh rb, Minnesota

4. Derrick Ward rb, Ottawa(kansas)

5. Kevin Jones rb, Virginia Tech.

6. Julius Jones rb, Notre Dame

and there are more...

Why of course I'm not joking about Greg Jones :D

He is a 3rd and short back and a fullback who backs up Fred Taylor as the RB. It may seem as funny to you that he could have been picked ahead of Perry as it is sad to me that Perry was picked by the Bengals in the 1st rd instead of addressing an immediate team need with the pick in order to improve the chance for a playoff run THIS YEAR.

People like you see the 4.3-4.4 but that doesn't account for the conversion from cut to speed for running downhill. Greg Jones has a better chance of doing in the future what Reuben Droughns did this year than Perry will have in being an all-downs RB IMO.

Greg Jones would've likely got the 3rd and 4th down short yardage runs vs. Giants. Plus, maybe he don't fumble like Jeremi does.

If you think Perry gets the 1st downs in those situations, then that would be about the 78th funniest thing I've read on this board :lol:

I have some bad information for you Don't Push Me, but Perry wasn't the second fastest back in the draft.... :lol:

Perry ran a 4.56 at the combine !

Greg Jones ran 4.45 ! - As a matter of fact, teams were enamored by his physique and his ability to run as fast he did considering his weight. As a matter of fact, a lot of scouts ( ourlads ) ( pro scouting services ) and ( Drugstore list ) figured Greg Jones to be the closest thing to Jamal Lewis. having the combination of size and superior breakaway speed.

* The only knock on Jones was the fact that he was recovering from an ACL injury and teams were concerned about taking a back that high.

** Funny thing though, Jamal Lewis tore his ACL at Tennessee and Baltimore still saw enough in him to take him at # 5 in the 2000 draft.

Also , here is a list of running backs that timed faster than Chris Perry at the Combine.

1. Steven Jackson rb, Oregon st.

2. Cedric Cobbs rb, Arkansas

3. Thomas Tapeh rb, Minnesota

4. Derrick Ward rb, Ottawa(kansas)

5. Kevin Jones rb, Virginia Tech.

6. Julius Jones rb, Notre Dame

and there are more...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...osition/hb.html

steven jackson: 4.56 (plays even slower)

Greg Jones: 4.58

Perry: 4.52 (and hes faster on the feild)

Kevin it shows at 4.51, but if i remember right he was putting up times in the high 4.6's and had a terrible workout

I forgot about julies jones

Cobbs ran a 4.75...

and some of the ones you listed are just bad players overall and shouldnt of been listed anyway

and if anyone but you thought greg jones was that good, he would of been a first round pick, you said it yourself, jamal had the same injury and went top 5, thats not a fluke, its because greg jones sucks

Chris Perry will be a great RB for us next season