Bengals '05 Free Agents

HoosierCat

I'd like to see Chamberlin, he looked like he had potential.

Powell has flashes, like the game against the Bills, but has never impressed me as anything more than a career backup. Still, he's versatile and plays hard.

Just like TJ and KK, Powell is a career backup. TJ has played his way into a starting position. Teams are built around the career backups they have as backups. Not everyone on the 53 man roster can be a starter. Only 22 men can be starters. That leaves 31 BACKUPS on the roster.

plus the punter and kicker, that makes 24....

I'm not one to sneeze at savvy backups. I like Carl Powell as a backup. He's one less thing you have to worry about. When he's in game the intensity level doesn't drop off. If anything it picks up.

I like Kevin Kaesviharn too. He's smart and disasters are less likely to occur on his account even if you have a starter that makes more plays and thus logs more minutes. If you really have enough depth to move guys like that off the roster, fine, but I'd be more concerned about the people who are supposed to be the real difference makers not making plays than the fact that these two guys are your backups.

I'm not one to sneeze at savvy backups.

Me neither. But...ideally you want to have backups with the potential to grow into starters, to replace guys who, due to age or expense, get let go. That's a point that Lewis himself has made a couple times: that when player X wants Y zillion dollars to stay and it doesn't fit your cap situation...you need to be able to move on. And guys like Powell and K2 -- and I have nothing against either of them -- don't appear to be much more than perennial backups and emergency stopgaps.

If we aren't going to get around to addressing safety or defensive tackle in the offseason, by all means, keep them on. But if an opportunity arises to get better, you have to take it.

BTW, TubThumper, you wouldn't have once lost an online bet involving the Jacksonville Jaguars and a case of Corona, would you? You remind me of someone I once knew...

I'm not one to sneeze at savvy backups.

Me neither. But...ideally you want to have backups with the potential to grow into starters, to replace guys who, due to age or expense, get let go. That's a point that Lewis himself has made a couple times: that when player X wants Y zillion dollars to stay and it doesn't fit your cap situation...you need to be able to move on. And guys like Powell and K2 -- and I have nothing against either of them -- don't appear to be much more than perennial backups and emergency stopgaps.

If we aren't going to get around to addressing safety or defensive tackle in the offseason, by all means, keep them on. But if an opportunity arises to get better, you have to take it.

BTW, TubThumper, you wouldn't have once lost an online bet involving the Jacksonville Jaguars and a case of Corona, would you? You remind me of someone I once knew...

Good point. I agree that if you get enough quality in the off-season to bump these guys off the team, go for it. But, I think there are some more unreliable people in the fold.

I'm not the guy from the Jacksonville bet. It's comforting to know there are other people out there nutty enough that I remind you of them - I think.

Braham = Junk

KK = Junk

Beckett = Junked

Fontenot = Junked

Herring = overpriced

B Williams = Junk

Hardy = overpriced Junk

James = 1st half season wonder every year

Oneal = can't stay healthy

Paul Alexander = junk

I would think priorities would be center, LB and DB's. TE's and DE's/DT's are also I'm sure positions that need attention if someone is available that's a signficant upgrade.

I'd like to see Chamberlin, he looked like he had potential.

Powell has flashes, like the game against the Bills, but has never impressed me as anything more than a career backup. Still, he's versatile and plays hard.

Just like TJ and KK, Powell is a career backup. TJ has played his way into a starting position. Teams are built around the career backups they have as backups. Not everyone on the 53 man roster can be a starter. Only 22 men can be starters. That leaves 31 BACKUPS on the roster.

plus the punter and kicker, that makes 24....

Oh my god! You are so right. My point is destroyed. There are only 29 backups on the roster....

not to mention some teams have 2 kickers, and 2 back up qb's so those don't count either, since they don't even play special teams.

Anyways ya don't gotta be a cock sucking homo, i was actually agreeing with ur point i was just correcting your obvious miscount, that only someone with a little IQ would miss. :rolleyes:

Braham = Junk

KK = Junk

Beckett = Junked

Fontenot = Junked

Herring = overpriced

B Williams = Junk

Hardy = overpriced Junk

James = 1st half season wonder every year

Oneal = can't stay healthy

Paul Alexander = junk

I would think priorities would be center, LB and DB's. TE's and DE's/DT's are also I'm sure positions that need attention if someone is available that's a signficant upgrade.

GD cheer up there SS :lol::lol:

You'd think the Bengals were a 6-8 team :lol:

I'll add that you've got me pondering about Paul Alexander. Until I got me one of them there $2 undersized game day programs at PBS on Sunday, I did not realize that he was the assistant head coach in addition to the O-line coach and has been w/ Brown for 11 yrs.

Tell me true, what really gives in this sitchiation :wacko: