Miley named Reds skipper

The Brew Man

He deserves it, but I cant help but think part of the reason Dave got the nod was because he came cheap....

thoughts?

Money is always a concern with Allen. I swear sometimes I think he's Mikes bastard son. Sorry about the MB reference, but old habits die hard.

I don't like the fact that they strung him along for 4 weeks making up their minds. I mean the guy wanted it ... deserved it .... and had earned it by putting in some 20 odd years in the organization. You put him against 3 outsiders, and it really shouldn't take you a month to figure out who gets the dam job. If it does take that long to figure out, then I'm more worried about the guy who's doing the hiring.

Still not sold on O'Brien either. I just didn't get the feeling that it was his decision. Seemed more to me like it was Allens and he just let O'Brien do the talking. If that's the M.O. then he isn't going to be very effective as a GM. Allen should have just saved the money and done it himself.

He deserves it, but I cant help but think part of the reason Dave got the nod was because he came cheap....

thoughts?

Money is always a concern with Allen. I swear sometimes I think he's Mikes bastard son. Sorry about the MB reference, but old habits die hard.

I don't like the fact that they strung him along for 4 weeks making up their minds. I mean the guy wanted it ... deserved it .... and had earned it by putting in some 20 odd years in the organization. You put him against 3 outsiders, and it really shouldn't take you a month to figure out who gets the dam job. If it does take that long to figure out, then I'm more worried about the guy who's doing the hiring.

Still not sold on O'Brien either. I just didn't get the feeling that it was his decision. Seemed more to me like it was Allens and he just let O'Brien do the talking. If that's the M.O. then he isn't going to be very effective as a GM. Allen should have just saved the money and done it himself.

Yeah, I hear ya about OBrien, he seems like such a puppet so far for Allen and Uncle Carl. Oh well, time will tell I guess, Miley deserved the nod.

Are you guys surprised that Dave only got a one year contract with a club option for a second year. I mean they gave Boone two years. I fear that if the Reds dont succeed this year that Dave will be the scape goat and he wont deserve that. We need some pitching!!!!

Have to agree about the contract. This looks like a recipe for disaster. Bowden tried to acquire pitching, and got fired for not being able to get re treads play like all stars. Miley is going to be expected to produce results from home grown talent that up to this point hasn't proven out.

Hate to see it too. I think you give him a REASONABLE payroll and a few free agents and he'll do a good job. Tie his hands like they seem to be doing and he's got no chance. Wonder if they gave him the option of going back to Dayton. Under these circumstances, I think that's what I'd have done.

Oh well ..... hope for the best.

Actually I heard on Fuhrman (not sure how much legitamacy is involved) that O'Brien wanted the Cleveland guy, and Linder wanted Miley. I like Miley and I think he's pretty good. He didn't get a fair look last season with the late injuries and shutting down Graves and Wagner for overwork.

Anyone think the one year contract is waiting for Rose to take?

Anyway, listened to the Red Hot Stove League today and Miley was saying how well the guys look. Said that Jimenez lost a ton of weight and he looks like a prototypical leadoff guy, and Dunn, Larkin all look great.

It'll be an interesting year, that's for sure. Just wish we were a little active in the free agent market to get rid of this Yankee-Red Sox crap we have to hear all of the time.

Actually I heard on Fuhrman (not sure how much legitamacy is involved) that O'Brien wanted the Cleveland guy, and Linder wanted Miley.  I like Miley and I think he's pretty good.  He didn't get a fair look last season with the late injuries and shutting down Graves and Wagner for overwork. 

Anyone think the one year contract is waiting for Rose to take? 

Anyway, listened to the Red Hot Stove League today and Miley was saying how well the guys look.  Said that Jimenez lost a ton of weight and he looks like a prototypical leadoff guy, and Dunn, Larkin all look great. 

It'll be an interesting year, that's for sure.  Just wish we were a little active in the free agent market to get rid of this Yankee-Red Sox crap we have to hear all of the time.

There was a reference to the guy from Cleveland on Cincinnati Reds.com as well. O'Brien liked his " player development experience". Problem is, that is the position the guy held ... director of player development, and we were looking for a manager. The seaon hasn't even started and I already don't like this guy.

The one year deal could be a sleight of hand diversionary trick. If the team does poorly, they fire the manager to draw attention from the fact that the real problem was a lack of payroll for players who really could help the team. Gonna catch hell for this one too, but Pete Rose is the one person I do NOT want to see managing the Reds. ( well .. 2 ... Boboone either ) #1 he just wasn't that good. He was a perennial 2nd and 3rd place finisher. Marge Schott gave him a brides veil one year and told him she was tired of always being the bridesmaid and never the bride. By her standards, that was pretty subtle. #2, he'd just be a distraction. He'd have every hack dirt digging reporter checking his phone calls .... who he had dinner with ... asking why he made anything less than an obvious move. Add that to the new batch of material for Leno and Letteman, and who needs it. There are better managers out there. Problem is getting them to Cincinnati while we've got the Allen and Lindner comedy duo calling the shots.

Miley is right about the young guys looking good in winter ball. Problem is that they're mostly fielders and not pitchers. Pitching is what we need, and the brain trust doesn't seem inclined to do anything about it. They've already said that revenue from the "it's not a fire sale" sale was going to be used to offset losses from less than expected ticket sales, and not on free agents. Well DUH ! Ticket sales were down because they weren't fielding a team that was even competetive. Anybody that acted like they could play a position or pitch got traded for "prospects" or sold outright. More to the point, ticket sales won't improve till they field a good team.

Sorry about the rant, but that's been festering since The season ending massacre.

Also apologize to any hack, dirt digging reporters who I may have offended by use of the term " hack " and or "dirt digging".

Gonna catch hell for this one too, but Pete Rose is the one person I do NOT want to see managing the Reds.

I agree. I still think he gambled and I don't know if I'm old school or what, but I don't think he should be reinstated into the game. However, he should be in the HOF since the gambling happened while he was a manager not a player (the difference between Shoeless. There's not much sacredness in baseball anymore, so we must fight harder for tradition and some of the old rules. The problem is Bud Selig (ALL PROB IN BASEBALL) with his desire to make people happy instead of what’s right for the game.

Problem is that they're mostly fielders and not pitchers.

O'Brien has acknowledged this issue multiple times and I think he'll address them through the season. Remember, this is rebuilding year number ___ (fill in the blank), but this season seems to me like a true rebuilding season. I don't think there's any player on our team that I wouldn't mind getting rid of for a quality pitcher or two. Well, I wouldn't get rid of Casey. He's my favorite player and the team leader, he may not put up the stats but he is true to his team with vocal and clubhouse leadership and that's one thing in baseball that's incredibly underestimated.

From the winter meetings.

Reds talked trades with several clubs but couldn't " come up with the right combination " according to O'Brien. *

Reds have all of their players on the table including Dunn and Kearns. O'Brien said that " to that extent, we'll talk to any club about any player. No one is off limits." **

Translation * None of them wanted to just give us money. They actually wanted to give us players that we would then have to pay.

** Can you say fire sale part II ???????

How in the hell is Miley supposed to win games when he's going to be the only one in the dugout ??? Message to Mr. O'Brien ................ don't make me come down there. Jeez ! the season hasn't even started and I'm fed up already.

<_< I think it is great that the Reds named a manager right away. Instead of waiting closer to opening day. The Reds are at the point where they will sell any of their players if they get the right price for them. I think it is terrible that they are doing this :angry: . Just when you get attached to a real good player. You may as well kiss them goodbye. They end up trading them for nobody or getting cash. Not like the good old days when a good player stayed on your team until they retired. Don't get me wrong. I am a huge Reds fan. Just a little disgusted.

RANDY

Sorry my manners slipped Randy. Welcome to the board.

Kirk - you probably figured out that I'm a Reds fan too. A lot of people lost interest in the game during the last players strike, and never came back. I was one of those who listened to the news every morning and night waiting for them to say the strike was over.

As closely as I follow the Bengals, I gotta admit that as soon as the season is over I'm counting the days to spring training. I guess that I'm sustained by the belief that the game is bigger than Marge Schott, Steinbrenner, or any other owner or player. Some like Finley do lasting damage ( dh ) but that'll probably come back around too eventually.

I'm convinced that Lindner for all the good he does in the city is the teams worst nightmare; a reluctant owner. He meddles just enough to keep the team from having a clear direction. Allen didn't want O'Brien, he wanted the guy from Chicago. Lindner overruled him. O'Brien didn't want Miley, Allen overruled him. And around and around it goes. Since ther's no concencus at the top, there's turmoil at the players level. Result is a losing team and poor attendence. It's a shame. That is just not the way to run the original pro team. My only consolation now is that these guys will go just like the others before them and we'll get a new and hopefully better owner. Mean time I'll just have to wait. Hell I waited all these years for the Bengals, I guess I can spend a couple more on the Reds.

Since there is no concensus at the top, there's turmoil at the players level. Result is a losing team and poor attendence. It's a shame. That is just not the way to run the original pro team. My only consolation now is that these guys will go just like the others before them and we'll get a new and hopefully better owner. Mean time I'll just have to wait. Hell I waited all these years for the Bengals, I guess I can spend a couple more on the Reds.

Holy s**t Redsfan2! If that's your gut feeling, I fear the worst for the coming season. Living out here in Arizona, I don't hear much of the local Cincy "feel" for what's really going on in the organization. And as you pointed out, it's unfitting for the original professional sports team. There's too much honor and history at stake to let such bumbling fools run the Reds!

There's too much honor and history at stake to let such bumbling fools run the Reds!

God isn't that the truth.

we'll get a new and hopefully better owner.

I honestly think this team is being set up to be sold within the next few years. The Griffey trade and signing made me believe that the day it happened. I thought it would have already happened by now, but I was mistaken.

Billy - This organization right now is in turmoil from top to bottom. As much as the media overlooks it, the truth is this team has pretty much decided to die for this season. We have a Mike Brown (pre-Marvin hiring) in office at GAB and the future looks bleak. While the rest of the NL Central is gearing up for another season of Reds ineptness, the one positive is the Brewers are on a firesale and has slashed their budget (it's lower than the REDS!).

I just hope Cincinnati isn't in a situation where during the summer we think about the Bengals and not focus on playoff runs and scenarios the Reds could be in. But it's look like Bengals Training camp talk in May, unfortunately.

Wellf**kIt! I guess all I have to keep me sane until the Bengals play again is Nascar, and NCAA hoops! Hockey? I don't think so. It's not a sport if you play it with a solidified urinal cake!! College basketball is fine up until March, but we all know Tubby Smith is taking the University of Kentucky Wildcats to the title this year, so c'mon Daytona! It worked last year, and it'll have to do again this year! :rolleyes: