Who's gonna get cut?

kevnz

I know it's early, but with all these additions you have to start asking who's gonna be looking for a job soon?

Seems that the bengals have a lot of players on both the O-line and the D-line. It would seem that's the likely starting point for roster cuts. I firmly believe that they need to ditch some of their veterans. I think the only safe Oline should be Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, and Eric Steinbach. And on the D-line I can say the only safe player should be Justin Smith. I can't really see any of the drafted rookies getting cut because the Bengals drafted so well this year, but that's before they put on their pads so who really knows? Besides, it's looking like cuts are gonna come simply because the Bengals are running out of cap space (Thank goodness they didn't keep Spikes, that would have meant no Free agents, and no room to get any)

Cheers

Kev

I wouldn't say it's too early. This team went 2-14 last year. Nearly every player from last year needs to evaluate their play and step it up a few notches and if not, they need to be gone. The competition is gonna be tight and that will only lift up the what the players do on the field. That can only help the Bengals. Besides, they'll need to purge some old players just to make sure that the first time they lose (and they will lose, 10-6 is real, 16-0 ain't) they don't go "here we go again"

Well, as B24 has said and as I somewhat alluded to in the Kevin Kaesveharn (sp.?) subject, Jeff Burris has done nothing - I know he has a supposed "locker room" presence - but I have played football, basketball and baseball (1 in college - none in the pro's ) and know that that presence needs to be matched up w/ someone who performs, otherwise, the respect is not completely there. I am sure there are exceptions to this, but for the most part it is true. I dont think you will see a large number of "big-names" cut, but I think Burris has a very good chance to be one... Here are my "big-name-type" players I see as on the bubble:

Jeff Burris, CB - plenty already said...

Oliver Gibson, DT - I love the Big O, but he lost concentration (his cool) last year w/ numerous offsides calls and a few altercations and personal fouls that were way out of line. Big O is also coming off of a serious injury and is 31. He must come into camp in shape and w/ a great attitude (and I have read that both are in line at this point - he wants to be part of this, believe me). The DL now has depth too, but, if he is healthy, is in shape and has his head together, he could be a starter again - the man has talent...

Reinard Wilson, DE - Obviously we all know that Coach Lewis is intrigued w/ RW's athletic ability and he fits into Lewis' rotation scheme well.... ....but, he better show some good things in camp and in some pre-season games because (as stated above), the DL is deep... I really think he will make it, strictly because Lewis and Frazier will put him in situations where he can succeed..

Glen Steele, DT - another numbers game situation... and when you are not someone who was brought in by a new staff, that puts you in a tough spot. Steele lives up to his name - he is tough - hope he makes it...

Eric Ogbogu, DL - is he really a big name...? No he isn't, but he hasn't really done much in his NFL career - I wasn't even happy when we signed him, I think he gets cut...

Scott Rehberg/Rich Braham, G/C - they can both play center (ok, well thats a stretch for Rehberg) and G, but are not really in the Bengals "long-term" plans. If Kooistra and one of those free-agents make it (my guess is that Garry "why 2 r's" Johnson does) - one of these guys are out... If it is Braham, say thank you for a good stretch from Rich...!!

Sean Brewer, TE - He has had no luck w/ staying healthy... He has speed, but has yet to prove anything. W/ R. Kelly signed and Schlobel showing last year that he knows how to catch a FB, Brewer is in trouble. I could Derek Smith, taking his spot (Smith was a receiving stud in college, but stupidly came out a year to early) or the Bengals simply using Chris Edmonds and/or Brad St. Louis as the 3rd TE - again, it's a numbers game...

T.J. Houszmanzadah (sp.?)/Danny Farmer, WR - I think we all like these two, but we may not have the luxury to keep them both... You might think Dugans should be on the bubble also (if these two are), but he is waaaaay to valuable on special teams. T.J. was given an opportunity last year to play a prominent role, but dropped some balls - and not just returning punts. Farmer has just had no luck staying healthy - he catches everything (an Ed McCaffrey-type) - but he better be ok for camp and show no rust (catch every ball thrown his way).

Thats my list of possible surprise names for us Bengals fans - but remember that when good players are cut, that means that there is some depth in the talent department...

Be good...

T.J. Houszmanzadah (sp.?)/Danny Farmer, WR - I think we all like these two, but we may not have the luxury to keep them both... You might think Dugans should be on the bubble also (if these two are), but he is waaaaay to valuable on special teams. T.J. was given an opportunity last year to play a prominent role, but dropped some balls - and not just returning punts. Farmer has just had no luck staying healthy - he catches everything (an Ed McCaffrey-type) - but he better be ok for camp and show no rust (catch every ball thrown his way).

Out of those two, if one was to be cut I'd prefer it to be Farmer because of his injury issues. That being said I hope the Bengals can keep them both.

I certainly agree - hope we can keep both too...

...and you know I forgot that we also have Tony Stewart - He excels as a blocker and Reggie Kelly is the only other TE that blocks well - that does not help Brewer either...

Well, it seems the cuts have begun. The Bengals just released linebacker Canute Curtis, center Brock Gutierrez, defensive end Eric Ogbogu, and fullback Mike Green.

cheers

Kev

if QB smiths head is on the chopping block to get cut who can replace him and help teach palmer the ropes........Marvin Lewis please listen to my plea.......weather its you keep smith or not just dont make palmer the 2nd MAN...let him learn and for atleast a year and he will be a great QB of the future

looks like akili smith is gone by this monday the 1st of june and they allready have a great replacement for him in a vet named shane matthews.....this guy looks to be a great teacher for carson palmer not to mention....WOW what a great back up QB to john kitna :D