Rudi is the best RB we've faced

Willisdownyathroat

How could you just let a 25 year old RB who holds your franchises

single season rushing record and isn`t a cancer walk ? :huh:

Because he isn't getting the job done.

Corey Dillon racked up lots and lots of yards. Set a rookie single-game rushing record and an all-time single game rushing record. Currently holds the franchise rushing record.

How many winning seasons did that get us?

Yards aren't everything. Rudi had about 20 worthwhile yards ending in a TD yesterday. The rest of his carries were just killing time -- in part due to his own fumble. Twice yesterday he was handed the ball on 3rd and 1. Result: -3 and -1.

He's not a receiving threat, he's not particularly fast or elusive. The biggest reasons to keep him were that he was a workhorse with good hands. Now he's an over-worked-horse whose fumbles ought to be excused because of that workload? :blink:

I wish Rudi luck and maybe letting him go will turn out to be a mistake. But at this point I have to think we can do better.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take a couple of those guys over Rudi Johnson.  I say don't sign Rudi for next year.  He's not worth his asking price.  It's time for the Bengals to clean house.  If Marvin Lewis and company don't send a message to these guys that if you don't have the heart and commitment to show up and execute against teams like the Bills in your own house, you won't be working here, they will eventually not be working here. 

This game showed that while there are some players on this team, there's also a lot of garbage and it's time to take out the trash.  Rudi is a player, but too limited to pay what he's asking.  It's time to move on.  They're gonna need the salary room to replace all the bums they need to send packing.

Yeah, the smart thing for the Bengals to do is to clean house and start a 5 year rebuilding process because we lost a game when we had our backup QB starting.

:rolleyes:

I understand you point, but the rebuilding process has already begun. Cleaning house doesn't mean that you don't have a lot of the elements you need to be a winner, but it does mean that this particular game needs to be a catalyst for taking a hard look at some players you might not have suspected before.

This was the Bengals' last chance at play-off hopes, and more importantly their last chance at pulling out their first winning season in 13 years. It was a game against an imminently beatable opponent, but one that wasn't a push-over, and one that was hungry. It was a real test of the character of the team, and the team tanked.

Yes, the back-up quarterback practically lost the game by himself, but there were just too many break-downs in other areas for a game of this magnitude. This was the chance to eliminate the sloppiness that characterized previous efforts, and it was the time when it was critical to do so - especially with Kitna playing. It didn't happen. That says something about your personnel.

The coaches say that the players were playing hard, and I believe they were, but there's a problem with that. It's not enough to play hard in the NFL. Teams that prevail in situations like this don't rely merely on effort and emotion. They prevail because they are prepared to perform under pressure. And, there is not enough practice time in the world to provide all that preparation on a team basis alone.

If the coaching staff can't get these guys to show up and be disciplined when it's on the line, it eventually falls on them. Part of getting the guys to show up is to make sure that the guys on the team are the type of guys who will take it upon themselves to make sure that they're prepared to show up and be disciplined when it's on the line. You can tell when you have enough of those guys when you start winning games like this regardless of who is in or out of the game.

If you win this game you tweak. If you lose, you've still got some macro-adjustments to make.

Plus he missed a blitz pick-up that forced the Spikes interception. 

whoa hold on rudi didn't miss a block that play was a screen designed to rudi and tko shoved rudi to the ground from the back as the ball was on the way. tko even admits the wrong doing after the game there should of been flags and that int should've been comin back.

Actually, he said he pushed Johnson before the pass was thrown...

Kitna panicked. He threw a sidearmed, desperation pass in Johnson's direction. Spikes stepped in front of the ball and raced 62 yards to give the Bills a 21-7 lead.

"A lineman tried to cut me, and I got around him," Spikes said. "I saw Rudi, and he had his back to me, and I saw Kitna throw it. Right before he threw it, I pushed Rudi down. And when I pushed him, it came so quick, I just caught it, and man, I'm off to the races."

single season rushing record and isn`t a cancer walk ?  :huh:

Corey Dillon racked up lots and lots of yards. Set a rookie single-game rushing record and an all-time single game rushing record. Currently holds the franchise rushing record.

Yards aren't everything. Rudi had about 20 worthwhile yards ending in a TD yesterday. The rest of his carries were just killing time -- in part due to his own fumble. Twice yesterday he was handed the ball on 3rd and 1. Result: -3 and -1.

He's not a receiving threat, he's not particularly fast or elusive. The biggest reasons to keep him were that he was a workhorse with good hands. Now he's an over-worked-horse whose fumbles ought to be excused because of that workload? :blink:

I wish Rudi luck and maybe letting him go will turn out to be a mistake. But at this point I have to think we can do better.

He`s had 3 count them THREE fumbles in 2 years !

He doesn`t get the job done ? :huh:

How many games did his running win for us last year ?

Defenses have stacked the line all year to stop Rudi and

force Palmer to throw and beat them !

And he STILL is on pace to break Dillon`s record !

Oh and Dillon has 10 catches for 72 yards this year.

Rudi has 13 for 71 yards.

Dillon was offered a 5 year $32 million dollar contract

and he was a cancer...Rudi doesn`t deserve 4-5 million though ? :huh:

single season rushing record and isn`t a cancer walk ?  :huh:

Exactly. You can't fall in love with players. The price tag is too high.

whoa hold on rudi didn't miss a block that play was a screen designed to rudi and tko shoved rudi to the ground from the back as the ball was on the way. tko even admits the wrong doing after the game there should of been flags and that int should've been comin back.

Actually, he said he pushed Johnson before the pass was thrown...

Kitna panicked. He threw a sidearmed, desperation pass in Johnson's direction. Spikes stepped in front of the ball and raced 62 yards to give the Bills a 21-7 lead.

"A lineman tried to cut me, and I got around him," Spikes said. "I saw Rudi, and he had his back to me, and I saw Kitna throw it. Right before he threw it, I pushed Rudi down. And when I pushed him, it came so quick, I just caught it, and man, I'm off to the races."

So maybe I retract the part about missing the block.

Yes -- two of which came in the last two crucial games.

He doesn`t get the job done ? 

At most 8. Looks like that number will be lower this year.

Wonderful. I'm very happy for Rudi. I hope he gets the record and someone gives him a huge contract for it. But with the Bengals at 6-8 staring at 6-10 -- and if they play like they did yesterday the Giants are going to murder them -- that someone probably shouldn't be us. The only people who should be "safe" on a 6-win team are those we can't cut for cap reasons. How long was lack of accountability an issue for this club? I don't want to see that start again.

CD regularly caught 200-300 yards worth of balls in Cincy. He's far more a receiving threat than Rudi.

and he was a cancer...Rudi doesn`t deserve 4-5 million though ?

A couple weeks ago, I was willing to drop that kind of cash on Rudi. But after the last two games I am far less sure of that call. Whether Rudi is a cancer or not doesn't enter into it; everyone agrees that Jon Kitna is the nicest guy in the world and look where that got us yesterday. The question is, can the Bengals afford to commit that kind of money to Rudi when 1) his sudden attack of fumbelitis removes one of his key strengths from the ledger, and 2) the team as a whole is, in the words of Marvin Lewis, "not as far along as I thought"?

He doesn`t get the job done ? 

Wonderful. I'm very happy for Rudi. I hope he gets the record and someone gives him a huge contract for it. But with the Bengals at 6-8 staring at 6-10 -- and if they play like they did yesterday the Giants are going to murder them -- that someone probably shouldn't be us. The only people who should be "safe" on a 6-win team are those we can't cut for cap reasons. How long was lack of accountability an issue for this club? I don't want to see that start again.

CD regularly caught 200-300 yards worth of balls in Cincy. He's far more a receiving threat than Rudi.

and he was a cancer...Rudi doesn`t deserve 4-5 million though ?

A couple weeks ago, I was willing to drop that kind of cash on Rudi. But after the last two games I am far less sure of that call. Whether Rudi is a cancer or not doesn't enter into it; everyone agrees that Jon Kitna is the nicest guy in the world and look where that got us yesterday. The question is, can the Bengals afford to commit that kind of money to Rudi when 1) his sudden attack of fumbelitis removes one of his key strengths from the ledger, and 2) the team as a whole is, in the words of Marvin Lewis, "not as far along as I thought"?

My sentiments exactlay - actually too much sentiment is the problem.

So ? ...Name me a RB that hasn`t ever fumbled ?

Rudi has fumbled 4 times in 546 carries.

So that`s Rudi`s fault ?

Rudi was one of the FEW bright spots yesterday. How can you

pin a loss on him when he had 130 yards rushing AND a TD against a top 3

defense ? :huh:

Corey Dillon`s BEST year receiving he had 43 catches for 298 yards.

Don`t blame Rudi becuase he has only been thrown to 13 times.

Rudi`s career receiving is 40 catches for 251 yards.

Not as big of a difference from Dillon as you thought ?

The Pats game Rudi was DOWN...it shouldn`t have been a fumble.

And like I said before...Rudi has 4 fumbles in 546 carries !

All of a sudden he is Tiki Barber ? :blink:

How can this team hope to attract ANY Free Agents if they won`t sign

THEIR OWN ?

IF Rudi is allowed to walk...he would be the YOUNGEST 1000+ yard RB that

EVER HIT THE FREE AGENT MARKET ....on top of that he would be

OUR SINGLE SEASON RECORD HOLDER FOR RUSHING !

How could that help turn around our franchise image of being cheap

and help us ATTRACT Free Agents ? :huh:

Rudi is a good running back. No denying it.

The question is, which is more important right now? 5 million on Rudi, or 5 million on another area such as the OL, TE, and a few defensive areas of need.

A lot of that depends on how comfortable the coaching staff feels with Perry and Watson, which we really have no way of knowing right now.

Should be an interesting offseason!

So that`s Rudi`s fault ?

defense ? :huh:

The Pats game Rudi was DOWN...it shouldn`t have been a fumble.

And like I said before...Rudi has 4 fumbles in 546 carries !

All of a sudden he is Tiki Barber ? :blink:

THEIR OWN ?

How could that help turn around our franchise image of being cheap

and help us ATTRACT Free Agents ? :huh:

The last point is the main reason I felt that the Bengals might be wise to sign Rudi. If the team were good enough to beat a journeyman outfit like Buffalo, I'd lean that way, but with all the holes that need filling, Rudi is too one dimensional to tie up all that money.

...Rudi doesn`t deserve 4-5 million though ? :huh:

Ol' Hobs said the Bengals most likely will have only $5 million of free agency money available for this off-season. Personally, I'd like to upgrade our defense a little -- GIVE ME Pat Williams and Sam Adams before Rudi Johnson.. While I'm proud of our performance Sunday, we played a Baltimore style offense with a ZERO at RB.

Both fumbles changed the complextion of the game, 3rd and 1's -- MAKE THE ONE YARD PLEASE; but I would also like to see Brat call something that DOESN'T make Rudi run left and right, rather it FORCES him to run up the gut.

As for JC's points, I'm in agreement with. Doesn't Corey have almost all the records and during his tenure, didn't the Bengals lose twice as many games as they won? New England, prior to 2004 didn't have a decent RB and won two Super Bowls.

...and we're 6-8 right now. I'd rather have a guy that gains only 6-700 yards on the ground and win 2-3 games more a season. But that's just me.

Once again, you miss the point. Fine, Rudi fumbles about as much (or as little) as other backs. Shaun Alexander, a favorite RB fantasy around these parts, has 4 fumbles this year, for example. But the point is that Rudi was supposed to have better hands than other RBs. In the debate over whether to resign him, his ball security in '03 was held to be a big plus, one that offset things like his lack of speed or receiving skills. If it turns out he's just as prone to putting the ball on the ground as other RBs...well, then what exactly is his outstanding strength that we should be so eager to pay $5 million a year for?

So that`s Rudi`s fault ?

You brought up that particular topic, you tell me.

defense ?

First of all, I didn't "pin a loss" on him. Second, I gave him credit for the 20 yards ending in a TD. But all the rest turned out to be vanity. And third, as I noted in my Banter conversation with Kirk and Sky, I was not impressed with the Buff run D. They gave up 80-90 yard days to hacks like Sammy Morris and Travis Minor. Rudi ought to have run well against them.

Well, if you're going to compare one year of Dillon to four years of Rudi, I suppose not :rolleyes:. However, CD has 1,554 career receiving yards (& 5 receiving TDs), or about 194 a season (212 a season avg. while a Bengal). Rudi's 251 (& 0 receiving TDs) works out to about 63 a season. And yeah, that's a pretty big difference in my book.

THEIR OWN ?

How can they sign any good FAs if they spend all their money on an RB who's looking less special with every passing game?

Joisey's hitting it on the head. I like Rudi, and I have really been rooting for him to show that he's worth the money to sign him. But, I can't say that he's doing it. If the team were in a little better shape, I'd be for signing him because he's been gutting out some tough yards and he's a good locker-room guy. The Bengals could maybe afford the luxury.

But, Rudi's been coming up small in some big situations - getting stopped behind the line on 3rd and short, fumbling. In addition to the ball security issue, Rudi is touted as a powerful North-South runner, yet I'm seeing him go down at first contact more than some of the real loads in the league. He is durable, so they can give him the ball a lot, but the yards he's piling up are starting to look like the offensive line getting more push than they're being given credit for.

This was a benchmark game. And you can hear that from the team. Marvin expressed his disappointment with the team's progress after the game. Willie Anderson expressed the kind of disappointment that I expect. Willie Anderson, this year, has begun to say publicly the kinds of soul-searching things about commitment and professionalism that veteran leadership needs to put on the table. And he points the finger at himself first. This team needs more of that kind of self-imposed accountability.

Marvin is starting to bring a different kind of temperament to this team - and it's as much a personnel issue as it is a day-to-day management issue. A guy like Marcus Wilkins comes in so unknown that I have to look his name up to remember it half the time. But he comes in with a hard nose and starts making a mark on special teams right away. The rookies come in with a swagger and start contributing before they even know what the hell they're doing. It's not fair to the guys that know what it takes to keep coddling guys who won't or can't learn how to bring veteran intensity and discipline to a team that needs it.

Timing is everything and this particular game comes at a time when it shows that the personnel still needs to change quite a bit, and that costs money. That's bad timing for signing Rudi. And where Rudi and timing are concerned, I'd rather have a back that gets 6-7-800 yards but will get me 2 yards on 3rd and 1 consistently than a guy who'll break one now an then, get me 4 or 5 on 1st and 2nd, and then lose a yard on critical 3rd downs - or run for 20 on that ONE play that might make or break you, and then fumble the ball away.

The margins are small in the NFL and little things mean a lot. Those little things separate between Rudi being a bargain at his current price and him being worth his asking price.

The bad part is that you have committed a lot of money to Chris Perry and we aren't sure what he can actually do in the NFL. Was he brought in to be a situational guy, pass catcher, a mix-it-up guy or a power runner? If he had gotten ample time to show himself I would feel better about letting Rudi go but I don't.

However because of the money expended on Perry, the decision may have already been made. My problem is that there were other needs ahead of running back on this team which we have discussed before. But now we are probably forced to let Rudi walk because of Perry. If he does start next year, I hope Perry doesn't become next years' excuse for poor play, close game losses, etc.

One alternative might be to trade Perry and resigning Rudi, but I don't see that happening.

Related note from bengals.com today:

(Head Coach Marvin) Lewis reiterated that the club wants to sign free-agent-to-be running back Rudi Johnson to a long-term contract, but also said he's confident that rookie first-rounder Chris Perry could step in and be the every-down back if it doesn't work out with Johnson.

"We drafted him because we thought he could play," Lewis said.

But Perry, who hasn't played in two months with an abdominal strain, has been downgraded to doubtful for this week after re-aggravating it last Thursday in practice. Lewis said the club has yet to get a report from a specialist taking another look at the injury.

I told you the Bengals come here to find out the voice of the fan; and topics of interest.

Now if they'd call me to take over the offense, we'd be set.

RESUME

#1 Offense in Madden 2005 -- ON All-Madden Setting.

It's a matter of time fellas... :lol:

:lol:

But you know the first thread the Monday morning after your first game would be titled, "Fire Drunkkirkski!"

I told you the Bengals come here to find out the voice of the fan; and topics of interest.

Now if they'd call me to take over the offense, we'd be set.

RESUME

#1 Offense in Madden 2005 -- ON All-Madden Setting. 

It's a matter of time fellas...  :lol:

:lol:

But you know the first thread the Monday morning after your first game would be titled, "Fire Drunkkirkski!"

Did either of you guys see the paper yesterday? There was actually a line that said Brat might be up for some of the head coaching vacancies after the year.

I'd rather see Brat leave and hang onto Zampese and make him OC. He was part of the "greatest show on turf" with the Rams and that could be fun to watch next year.

You're wrong. It was perfectly legal. There is no such thing as pass interference behind the line of scrimmage.

...Rudi doesn`t deserve 4-5 million  though ?  :huh:

Ol' Hobs said the Bengals most likely will have only $5 million of free agency money available for this off-season. Personally, I'd like to upgrade our defense a little -- GIVE ME Pat Williams and Sam Adams before Rudi Johnson.. While I'm proud of our performance Sunday, we played a Baltimore style offense with a ZERO at RB.

Both fumbles changed the complextion of the game, 3rd and 1's -- MAKE THE ONE YARD PLEASE; but I would also like to see Brat call something that DOESN'T make Rudi run left and right, rather it FORCES him to run up the gut.

As for JC's points, I'm in agreement with. Doesn't Corey have almost all the records and during his tenure, didn't the Bengals lose twice as many games as they won? New England, prior to 2004 didn't have a decent RB and won two Super Bowls.

...and we're 6-8 right now. I'd rather have a guy that gains only 6-700 yards on the ground and win 2-3 games more a season. But that's just me.

Wow. Calling Mcgahee a ZERO at RB is funny in a couple different ways. This is the same board that dissed TKO only to see him go off in your house. You're head coach based his entire gameplan around stopping Mcgahee, who wasn't 100 percent, and they succeeded. If you think the Bills offense wouldn't have been able to move the ball against your D if the game wasn't out of hand, you're not being realistic. Mcgahee is going to be an MVP candidate next year. It takes every RB a year of playing to get back to form. If you saw the Colts Ravens game, you'd have seen two guys who had OK first years back, and then went off. The Bills are set with Mcgahee and Evans. It's not going to get much more explosive than that. If JP pans out, the next big 3 will have arrived.