You'll enjoy this

JohnnieEgo

Yardage rankings are one thing....but you also have to look at scoring. Scoring is the bottom line, because that is what wins games, and yardage rankings don't take into consideration alot of things like field position, or game circumstances.

Bengals are giving up 22 ppg, and scoring 22 ppg.

Ravens are giving up 18 ppg and scoring 25 ppg.

Now look at it further. The Ravens lead the league in turnovers, which means that the 18 ppg they are giving up is really much better than it looks, hence their yardage being ranked 3rd in the league. The Bengals have NOT been turning it over nearly as much, and are still giving up 22 ppg. This tells me that their defense is not very good, despite being ranked in the top half.

(Fire away) :D

This tells me that their defense is not very good, despite being ranked in the top half.

Well, No s**t!

If you had of bothered reading a few posts before you started writing you'd find almost everyone of us commenting on the defense not being consistant. However the defense has made bad offenses look even worse, but given up yards anyway...Take for instance the first Ravens game, I think it was like three turnovers or some such as that, but they racked up the points, but late in the game when it didn't matter the Ravens threw for lots of yards...still lost, badly, but had a nice yardage total.

"Take for instance the first Ravens game, I think it was like three turnovers or some such as that, but they racked up the points, but late in the game when it didn't matter the Ravens threw for lots of yards...still lost, badly, but had a nice yardage total. "

Did you even watch the first game?!?! We recover the onsides kick and I'm calling you Seattle ....... minus "The Sprinkler."

Uh, no, I didn't watch the game. What part of I live in New Zealand don't you understand? Do you not even pay attention to what people post? Come off it. But I do ctach the game cast, and I do read everything online. and Everyone of the major sites all said the same thing, The Bengals mauled the Ravens, and it was a shame that the scores were that close cause the game wasn't! So put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Also, the Seattle game was handed to the Ravens. Had the Refs did their job then all those points scored in the 4th wouldn't have mattered.

"Uh, no, I didn't watch the game."

That's what I thought.

And you must not have watched it either. The Bengals spanked the Ravens...End of discussion. They scored to make it close in junk time.

kevnz,

dont even bother with chump change like johnnieego he is just trying to be our clown of the week, and when the week over and the bengals win again, then he will be gone just like lambert and we will have to find a new clown to entertain us........just rember we dont need the reefs to help us win game we do it the old fashion way "PLAY LIKE HELL"

The Bengals have NOT been turning it over nearly as much, and are still giving up 22 ppg. This tells me that their defense is not very good, despite being ranked in the top half.

On the other hand, it doesn't say much about the vaunted Ravens offense that they are only averaging a FG more a game off all these turnovers. Moreover, averages don't express how hot and cold your D has been running. Which one shows up this week, the one that held SF to 6 or the one that coughed up 41 to the 'Hags?

Did you even watch the first game?!?! We recover the onsides kick and I'm calling you Seattle ....... minus "The Sprinkler."

I was at the game, and the score was much closer than the game actually was. The Ravens made a late charge, and with the exception of Heap and Taylor, were mediocre at best. The late scoring made it look alot closer than it was. But hey, the bengals are still learning how to win. And as long as they do, im happy....

We gave up a ton of yardage to Trent Green...but we won.

First matchup, we gave up a ton of yardage to Baltimore...but we won.

We gave up a ton of yardage to Seattle...but we won.

Trend? St. Louis got shut down by Baltimore's D...but they won.

How about when New England won the Super Bowl, Warner through for about 350...but NE won.

Bend but don't break, I'll take it any day if it ends with a W. Isn't that how Ohio State won the National Championship last year?

"On the other hand, it doesn't say much about the vaunted Ravens offense that they are only averaging a FG more a game off all these turnovers."

What do you mean? Ummmm ............. it's the RAVENS who are turning the ball over. We're -2 in takeaway/giveaway.

What do you mean? Ummmm ............. it's the RAVENS who are turning the ball over. We're -2 in takeaway/giveaway.

Exactly. The Ravens do lead the league in turnovers (32 forced fumbles/INTs) but don't have a big ppg. scored average advantage because they haven't been able to do anything with ball (or, as you correctly note with the turnover ratio, they promptly cough the ball back up again).

There is approximately zero doubt that turnovers and special teams will play key roles Sunday. Look at the past few games. Our Ravens friends have already harumphed about the "gift" points the Bengals got off turnovers earlier this year. Last year, in the game in Cincy, we were actually up 23-14 in the fourth...the the Ravens blocked a punt and Kitna fumbled and the D couldn't stop Jeff bloody Blake and boom: we lose 27-23. The game before that, in Baltimore, the Ravens cashed in for 14 points off 4 Bengal turnovers, and Brightful took a punt 95 yards for a TD. We lost 38-27.

The encouraging thing about this week is that the Bengals have indeed been holding on to the ball. If they just keep on keepin' on, they can win.

"Take for instance the first Ravens game, I think it was like three turnovers or some such as that, but they racked up the points, but late in the game when it didn't matter the Ravens threw for lots of yards...still lost, badly, but had a nice yardage total. "

I did. Watched from the left corner of the endzone. Sorry, but the Bengals just plain beat them. Difference was really obvious on the lines. O and D. Some of the players looked more like train wreck survivors ..... dazed .... shocked ...... you know, the usual.

Not saying it'll turn out that way this time, but it was a pretty convincing win.

I agree ... Ravens were soundly beat last time ... and it DID all start on the line.

Against Seattle - the Ravens defense was a bit frustrated - and, for the first time in a long time, felt sorry for itself. After not beating the Rams and the Dolphins with stellar performances ... and holding the Seahawks to 3 points until late in the 2nd Quarter ... it ALL started to happen again. Late score, offensive turnover deep in Ravens territory - 1 play and it was 14 points in less than 2 minutes. We were down 17-3 going into halftime.

After that - I think the Ravens D felt sorry for itself. It was down - and beat - and tried to do too many things because past experience said we couldn't rely on the Offense to bail us out. Out of nowhere ... Wright started hooking up with his old college buddy Robinson - and things took off. The Defense got energized and settled down - and has rolled ever since - not allowing a TD in a little over the last 5 quarters.

I'm more concerned about which offense will show up this week than which defense for the purple and black. Ray-ray always comes to play in the big games - and gets the boys fired up. Ed Reed is quickly becoming the player to fill the void left by Rod Woodson's departure. Up front - the addition and threat of Suggs has freed up Boulware and our D-Line to get better pressure on the QB and get penetration to contain the RB's.

I must say - I'm TRULY looking forward to this Sunday. Kitna has been playing well. Chad Johnson is a punk - but I always liked Peter Warrick. It's good to see Rudi Johnson filling it up - and C. Dill - well - you need to get rid of him after this year - but for now, enjoy him. I'm curious to see what the Ravens D will do to this Bengal offense (something I can't believe I'm writing, by the way) - and I'm curious to see which Ravens offense shows up against Marvin's improving D.

Bottom line - one team will win - the other will not ... and either way - at least the Steelers ain't winning the division again.

:)

"so, your team's really good, except they turn the ball over a lot.

guess what, turnovers matter. you can't just conveniently leave that out of the equation. turnovers lose ball games. Here's a guess that turnovers kill the ravens this weekend. Here's another that the Bengals completely out-muscle the ravens. again."

Chicago, are you familar with the "straw-man argument"? Your comments are predicated on statements which never existed.

Bottom line - one team will win - the other will not ... and either way - at least the Steelers ain't winning the division again.

:)

At least we can all agree on something. :D

"I'm pretty sure you can't add together the championships that are sitting in Indianapolis and the one from the Ravens. When your crappy owner left you like an ugly prom date, he took the trophy case too. "

No we can't agree, squeelers are mathematically still in this race. <_<