Dillon vs. Rudi

Player6600

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

corey is a ton better on the field.  TON.

I have to agree here... at least for now. When Rudi is in the league for 8 years as the feature back, then a comparison is noteworthy. Now? You're comparing a guy with 118 starts (2,119 carries) to a guy with 32 games (449 carries).

But if you add everything up, Rudi is on pace to have better career numbers than Corey when Rudi arrives into his 8th season.

But numbers is eye-candy, nothing more. Winning is the key, and we've won more games with Rudi in the past 2 seasons than the three seasons before that with Dillon. You do the math.

I think your lying to yourself if you say Rudi is the better back. As of now, Corey is way better than Rudi. In the future Rudi could pass Corey, but right now, Corey is the best on the field. But, I would rather build a team around Rudi because he has many more productive years left than Corey does.

I think your lying to yourself if you say Rudi is the better back. As of now, Corey is way better than Rudi. In the future Rudi could pass Corey, but right now, Corey is the best on the field. But, I would rather build a team around Rudi because he has many more productive years left than Corey does.

Does anything else need to be said ?? I think not.

WHODEY !!!

In his first year as a full time starter, Corey Dillon ran for 1129 yards and 10 touchdowns. His best year was 1435 yards and 7 touchdowns.

In his first year as a full time starter, Rudi Johnson already has 7 touchdowns, and is on pace to match Dillon's 10 touchdowns by the end of the season. He is already at 1105 yards (just 24 yards shy of Dillon's 1st year number), and is on pace to gain 1473 yards, surpassing Dillon's career high by 50 yards.

This season alone, Rudi Johnson has 1105 yards and a 4.1 ypc average with 7 tds. Corey Dillon has 1221 yards and a 4.8 ypc average with 9 touchdowns. While this may seem like Dillon is doing better than Rudi, lets look at the schedules. The Bengals have played top defenses all year. The Patriots? Well, they have had the likes of Indianapolis (the second worst overall defense in the league), Arizona (the 15th worst in the league), Seattle (13th worst), Kansas City (the 3rd worst in the league).

Meanwhile, the Bengals face Baltimore (8th best overall), Pittsburgh (#1), Washington (#2), Denver (#5), NYJ (#6), Miami (#7), etc. The WORST defenses we played were Dallas and Cleveland at (9th worst and 11th worst).

Rudi IS a better running back than Dildon. The only reason you think of Corey as being so great is because he was the only thing worth watching in Bengal stripes for a while.

At the same time, Dildon is on his way out of hte league. He has suffered injuries that have cost him gametime over the last two years, and he only has a couple more left before retirement. Rudi is just getting started.

I think your lying to yourself if you say Rudi is the better back.  As of now, Corey is way better than Rudi.  In the future Rudi could pass Corey, but right now, Corey is the best on the field.  But, I would rather build a team around Rudi because he has many more productive years left than Corey does.

No denying Dillon was/is a great RB. His stats speak for themselves.

BUT

Rudi started 5 games last year.

We were 4-1. He had 3 games where he ran for 150+ yards.

Something Dillon NEVER did. This year Rudi has started 12 games.

We are 6-6. So with Rudi as the starter the Bengals over the past

2 years are 10-7. When Dillon was the starter last year we went 4-7.

In 2002 we were 2-14. So in 2 years with Dillon being the starter we

were 6-21.

Yes Dillon is 11-0 with the Patriots. But didn`t they win 15 in a row

WITHOUT him anyway ?

I`ll take my Bengals Cancer free and winning. :player:

Dillon's running for money this week. Hobson's got him getting another $500k if he hits 1,350 yds and he needs 129 vs. Bengals to get it.

No reason to think the Bengals D can stop him from cashing in. They haven't stopped any RB worth a sh#t yet.

Rudi's running for money too, though. Proving he can run vs. Pats D would boost his UFA value for sure.

Still, Rudi can't catch the ball, which is the clincher why Dillon is better back on field right now.

Dillon's running for money this week. Hobson's got him getting another $500k if he hits 1,350 yds and he needs 129 vs. Bengals to get it.

No reason to think the Bengals D can stop him from cashing in. They haven't stopped any RB worth a sh#t yet.

Rudi's running for money too, though. Proving he can run vs. Pats D would boost his UFA value for sure.

Still, Rudi can't catch the ball, which is the clincher why Dillon is better back on field right now.

They stopped Portis now didn't they?

Rudi caught 21 passes last year in 5 starts. Dillon's BEST year was 43. So, in less than half the starts, Rudi had 1/2 of dildon's catches.

Dillon is no pass catching running back either. Take off the asscolored glasses.

They stopped Portis now didn't they?

Wrong again Oh Great One :rolleyes:

The senile playcalling of Joe Bugel stopped Portis -- not the Bengals D.

I was sitting up in FedEx laughing my a$$ off among fuming Deadskins fans as Brunnel attempted one ill-fated pass after another early in that one. Had the Skins kept calling Portis' number, he'd have run all night.

Bengals D hasn't stopped a feature back yet. The only crack at Dillon they got this week is if the Pats try to run left. After dealing w/ Ogden last week, I'd say Justin will have a much easier time w/ Light and a much better game as a result.

No, they didn't stop Portis. He was averaging 5 ypc I think. Washington just abandoned the run trying to play catch up.

Portis didn`t get 100 yards and had 0 TD`s.

That IS stopping him reguardless of WHY you say they didn`t.

Anyway this thread isn`t about the Bengals Defense.

BUT if you think they won`t be more motivated

than EVER to shut a RB down ....then you`re fooling yourself.

Dillon was pissed and wanting to shut up the fans in Cincinnati

in pre-season. He averaged 2.8 yards a carry.

I know it was pre-season....but I believe they will be MORE

MOTIVATED to shut him down this Sunday as they were THEN.

Rudi caught 21 passes last year in 5 starts. Dillon's BEST year was 43. So, in less than half the starts, Rudi had 1/2 of dildon's catches.

Dillon is no pass catching running back either. Take off the asscolored glasses.

You're assuming Kitna and Palmer were throwing to Dillon and not Gus Frerotte, Jeff Blake, Neil O'Donnell, Scott Mitchell, etc.. and the years Kitna was the QB, pre-success 2003, he wasn't throwing checking off to the underneth guy. So it's not a matter of RBs on this argument rather the enviroment of the team and the offensive philosophy.

BUT if you think they won`t be more motivated

I know it was pre-season....but I believe they will be JUST AS

MOTIVATED to shut him down this Sunday and they were THEN.

I'm not getting completely why folks think the Bengals D will have such high motivation to specifically shut down Dillon. All but Smith and Simmons had played either 1 yr. or not at all w/ Dillon in Cincy.

The greater motivation to me seems to beat the slop out of a defending Super Bowl champ that's not going to repeat, plus the momentum this team has going for it to assert itself as a force to be reckoned with.

However, I do think all the hullaballoo will crack the pea-brain of Dillon and hopefully compel him to overachieve and force errors on his part.

BUT  if you think they won`t be more motivated

I'm not getting completely why folks think the Bengals D will have such high motivation to specifically shut down Dillon. All but Smith and Simmons had played either 1 yr. or not at all w/ Dillon in Cincy.

The greater motivation to me seems to beat the slop out of a defending Super Bowl champ that's not going to repeat, plus the momentum this team has going for it to assert itself as a force to be reckoned with.

However, I do think all the hullaballoo will crack the pea-brain of Dillon and hopefully compel him to overachieve and force errors on his part.

Ummm they will want to shut him down for Big Willie

and the laughter he had when asked if the Bengals

will ever be a winner.

Plus he is going to try to show them up.

They are alot of reasons for them to be motivated to shut him

down. Just like they did when they saw him the last time.

BUT  if you think they won`t be more motivated

Ummm they will want to shut him down for Big Willie

and the laughter he had when asked if the Bengals

will ever be a winner.

Plus he is going to try to show them up.

They are alot of reasons for them to be motivated to shut him

down. Just like they did when they saw him the last time.

I can buy into that to a degree. I just don't think that's the prime mover -- an extra ingredient perhaps into what should be the larger motivation.

I for one hope Dillon gets his hat knocked off come Sunday w/ his prima donna sh#thead still in it :player:

Who Dey :ph34r:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I will.

Clinton Portis' stats v Bengals:

Rushes Yards YPC Long TD Rec Rec Yds Yds/Rec Long Rec Total Yds

17 81 4.8 11 0 4 32 8.0 14 113

4.8 YPC is not by any means shutting someone down. Going up so much so early and forcing the Skins to pass is the only thing to keep his numbers down. So, the run defense is not to thank here, however the defense's ability to keep them out of the endzone early and the offensive onslaught in the first half stopped the run.

4.8 YPC is not by any means shutting someone down.

Actually, the key stat there isn't yards per carry, it's the long. Clinton "Nigel Tufnel" Portis only went to 11.

The Bengals' problem against the run has not been a poor run defense per se, it's been giving up the big play, often on run but also on passes. Case in point is the infamous Baltimore game early this season when Jamal Lewis trampled the Bengals for 186. About 60 of those yards came on 15 runs. The other 125 came on two scampers resulting from missed tackles.

Dillon has that same kind of big-play potential, especially if defenses get jumpy and overpursue like Denver's did the day he set the record. Corey will get some yards, I don't doubt that. What the Bengals D has to do is stay disciplined and not let him rip off a couple big plays

"About 60 of those yards came on 15 runs. The other 125 came on two scampers resulting from missed tackles."

So you are saying that if we don't give up big runs then a 4 ypc average is good run defense. Usually running backs need the big runs just to get to the 4 ypc average.

So you are saying that if we don't give up big runs then a 4 ypc average is good run defense. Usually running backs need the big runs just to get to the 4 ypc average.

Those big runs were touchdowns. You remove the big plays, you remove the touchdowns. You remove the big plays and you have a pass intercepted or a run fumbled and rather they score, you score and win another 2-3 games. We win another 2-3 games we have a playoff berth.

We've won 5 of our last 7. One thing evident from those games is the reduction -- didn't say elimination -- of big plays from the opposing offense.

4.8 YPC is not by any means shutting someone down. Going up so much so early and forcing the Skins to pass is the only thing to keep his numbers down. So, the run defense is not to thank here, however the defense's ability to keep them out of the endzone early and the offensive onslaught in the first half stopped the run.

Clinton Portis had 0TD`s and wasn`t a part of the

Redskins scoring drives that they did have.

Kenny Watson is averaging 7.1 yards per carry

and 6 yards per catch ....does that mean he has dominated

every defense that he has faced too ? :rolleyes: