The DT Blues

Lots of grief around these parts last April for not taking a DT on day 1, but Clayton has a good look at how top-ranked DT's often don't pan out...of course, any fan of the team that trade up to get Big Duddy should already know this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=1937779

A half season in Bengalville is like an eternity. After a decade plus of football comedy of errors, the scrutiny gets magnified more than it should maybe, but still don't make the critical comments about Bengals decisions draft or otherwise any less understandable.

Need has to factor in w/ best available. Every team in the 1st rd prioritized need except Bengals and Mike Martz.

Lots of grief around these parts last April for not taking a DT on day 1, but Clayton has a good look at how top-ranked DT's often don't pan out...of course, any fan of the team that trade up to get Big Duddy should already know this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...john&id=1937779

The Bengals didn`t trade up to get Wilkinson.

They had the #1 pick that year.

They DID trade up with the Panthers to grab

Ki-Jana Carter though. :blink:

The Bengals didn`t trade up to get Wilkinson.

They had the #1 pick that year.

They DID trade up with the Panthers to grab

Ki-Jana Carter though. :blink:

My bad. The poor drafts of the 90s tend to run together into one big mass of suck.

To the points others have raised about need and Perry, my intention wasn't to start another argument about Perry. My point is simply that conventional wisdom is that we would have been better off drafting a DT in the first round. Well, if one believes Ozzie Newsome as quoted in the Clayton piece -- and given his draft-day acumen, when he talks draft, I listen -- the highly hyped first-round DTs are more likely than not to go bust.

In that case, no matter who we drafted in round one, not taking a DT was a good move.

Moreover, this idea has implications for next April's draft, as there are still lots of voices (including mine on occasion) calling for the Bengals to look at DT in the first. Given the poor success rate of that strategy highlighted by Clayton, I would think a better plan would be to make the position a priority in FA and sign a proven guy instead.

One thing the Clayton piece misses out on is the fact that no matter where you draft these guys, All of them are a risk to bust out ! The problem that they are really referring to is the amount of money teams lose on Signing bonuses that are guaranteed!

* I'm a firm believer in the Paul Brown philosphy that you build a team through the draft! - Free Agency wasn't even a consideration when PB was still alive, and didn't come about till after he passed on!

** You want to fix the problem..?? Then Tagliabue and the NFLPA will have to do the same thing that the NBA did. Develop a " rookie " salary cap. And I'm not talking about their " roundabout " way of doing it with the " allocated cap money ", I'm talking about ending the " break the bank " mentality of first rounders!

- Can't stand greedy Lawyers and Agents, then take them out of the equation.!

But as a Bengal draft point... John Thornton has been inconsistent, and We don't have depth. Partly due to injuries, partly due to FA's that didn't come here. Rod Coleman ( falcon- former raider ) would have been huge for us this year. Anyone see how well he's played for the Falcons this year..??? He's got my vote for the Pro Bowl that's for sure.

Coleman would've been a huge pick-up.

Draftwise, I'm not sold on any of the DTs I've seen so far in college in 1st rd. Last year looked a whole helluva better.

Got to figure the Terrance Martin and Shaun Smith pickups were done for next year. They certainly could see some action this year but I'm guessing their acquisitions were part of the plan to plan ahead at the DT position otherwise I can't explain why no waiver wire claims or pickups of non-waiver subject players didn't happen after Gardener deal flopped.