Bengals Problems!

Kirkendall

Got your attention? Good.

I want to see what you all think. I'm changing the subject a bit from our awesome four game winning streak.

I know that we have a good offense (3rd in the AFC in yards), but I think we all should address our defense. Personally, I think our defense needs major revisions.

The defensive line puts good pressure on the Quarterback, but we have had a problem stopping the run (with the exception of fat Bettis and overrated Zereoue. I think that in the offseason we should address the need of getting two huge fat, Gilbert Brown types in the middle. I'm not suggesting we get rid of Thornton or Williams (we could put them in on third down), but our defense is a little thin in the middle in terms of weight. We need some big, immovable objects up the middle. Our defense depends too much on speed, but we don't have the personnel in the middle to make the speed factor work.

Plus, I'm the first to admit, our secondary is very weak. Whether this is from Leslie Frazier establishing a "prevent" style of coverage as the game wore on, I'm do not know. But we almost lost because of the inability for our secondary to keep up with the receivers. Tory James was abused all day and Rogers Beckett couldn't support the mid to deep routes all game. Champ Bailey will be available next season, hummm.

I mean look at all of the 3rd down and longs that we allowed Pitt to convert on.

Anyway, what do you all think of our defense, honestly.

Got your attention?

our secondary is very weak.

we almost lost because of the inability for our secondary to keep up with the receivers. Tory James was abused all day and Rogers Beckett couldn't support the mid to deep routes all game. .

i dont think we need 2 new people on the line, lewis wants them smaller and faster so that wont be addresed this off season, but i do think the secondary will and needs and overhaul, via free agency or draft i dont know but CHAMP BAILY sounds good to me since i was rooting for the bengals to draft.........i think it was his brother or cousin Baily !!!!!!

The biggest need is a shutdown type corner. I don't see the Bengals having the money to land Bailey, and I see him getting tagged anyway so that rules Champ out....Damn Akili, if Brown hadda just taken the trade with NO, and then drafted Champ none of this would be an issue.....

Next year the Bengals are gonna be pretty tight on the cap so that will probably rule out signing some superstar Corner cause they don't come cheap. However the could definately pull off an upgrade. I don't see the need for two real big DT's I think the Bengals will end up drafting one in the first round if available(unless a DB is there).

cheers

There's no question the D needs more work. It's a toss-up (IMHO) as to whether a big run-stuffing DT or a shutdown corner is the bigger need. I haven't looked at the college prospects for next April, but even if the Bengals lose all their remaining games they'll be drafting someplace in the mid-teens, and at that point all of the top DTs and corners will almost certainly be gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see them look at the o-line, which also badly needs fresh blood at C and RG (and RT Big Willie is going into what, year 9? He ain't gettin' any younger.) You see LTs go in the first quite often but not too many centers or guards. Might even be an opportunity to trade down, pick up an extra selection, and still get the top, say, center.

But that doesn't solve the defense. We'll have to roll the dice on a (some?) prospects in later rounds. Champ Bailey would be great, but I doubt we can afford him, and there's always the lingering "Bungle" factor (i.e. would he want to play here?).

And let's not forget STs. Graham is probably safe, but I don't think Richardson has won too many fans. I think we're going to have to take a look at punter sooner rather than later. Given it's a fairly inexpensive position, that might be a place to go make a splash in free agency. Anyone know if any top punters are going to be available next year?

Honestly I think if we get two fat guys, we can stop having the free/strong safties from cheating the line and cover more frequently. Two big guys would force the running back to change directions and hit our fast as hell linebackers. The key for the former Marvin defense at Baltimore was Tony Serigusa (sp?) and Sam Adams. They allowed Boulware, R.Lewis, and Sharper to reek some serious havoc.

I think our best solution on o-line, would be to grab a vetern center - since that's the most important line position - and draft another guard in the middle rounds. Our line if fine, we've been doing an excellent job protecting Kitna and look at what Rudi and Corey have been doing the past seven games. They aren't doing it on their own. But I think it's not a desperate need like most of our defensive levels.

Punting - Watching the Miami's game against UCF, I noticed a kid that punted the heck out of the ball. I think he averaged 50 yards and one that almost his 70. I looked him up and his name is Matt Prater. On 58 punts, he's averaging 47.9 per attempt with a long of 74. I think he'd be drafted first in the NFL

Punting - Watching the Miami's game against UCF, I noticed a kid that punted the heck out of the ball. I think he averaged 50 yards and one that almost his 70. I looked him up and his name is Matt Prater. On 58 punts, he's averaging 47.9 per attempt with a long of 74.

Wow. :blink: What's he do, spike his Keds with gunpowder? :D