Butch Davis Resigns

Kirkendall

Pretty much expected. I just like the fact it happened after their embarrassing defeat against the Bengals. Woo-dey (ain't dem Browns)...

CLEVELAND - Cleveland Browns (news) head coach Butch Davis resigned on Tuesday, leaving a last-place team with five games remaining in a season going nowhere.

The Browns (3-8) lost their fifth straight game on Sunday, 58-48 at Cincinnati, and are in fourth place in the AFC North. The team went to the playoffs just once in Davis' nearly four seasons as head coach.

Davis, who went 24-36 in his three-plus seasons, left with three years remaining on a contract worth approximately $12 million.

Browns spokeswoman Lisa Levine said team president John Collins will have 2 p.m. EST news conference at their headquarters in Berea.

Either offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie or defensive coordinator Dave Campo is expected to take over as interim coach for the Browns, who host the defending Super Bowl champion New England Patriots (news) on Sunday.

Pressure had been mounting on Davis for weeks as the Browns' season crumbled with a score of injuries to key players and heartbreaking losses.

Amid speculation last week that Davis was about to be fired, Browns president John Collins said the 52-year-old Davis, who joined the Browns in 2001, would remain coach for the remainder of the year — unless he resigned.

Davis, who helped restore the University of Miami's program before joining the Browns, will likely be a candidate for the job opening at Florida.

When did he sign the contract extension? Was it while Al Lerner was still around?

It sounds like the new guy (Collins) wants to clean house. I heard Boomer talking the other day that Butch ran a bunch of people like Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark out of there. Good for us, bad for them.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/21068/115

"CLEVELAND (Ticker) -- One day after admitting that his future was in doubt, Butch Davis was fired as coach of the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday, according to a report by ESPN.

The Browns would become the second team to change coaches this season after Dave Wannstedt resigned from the Miami Dolphins on November 9.

Davis had been rumored to be on the hot seat for most of this season, and he acknowledged in Monday's news conference that he may not be back with the team next season after Cleveland's 58-48 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

"I can't answer that," Davis said when asked if he would be in Cleveland in 2005. "I wish I could tell you, but I don't know the answer to it."

According the report, Davis met with Browns owner Randy Lerner on Monday night and was informed of the decision.

After spending six seasons as the coach at the University of Miami, Fl., Davis became the 10th coach of the Browns in 2001 and led them to the playoffs in just his second season - the team's first postseason appearance since 1994.

Davis has not been able to build on that success, though, and has posted a 24-36 record in his three-plus seasons in Cleveland.

The loss to the Bengals was the fifth in a row for the Browns (3-8), who are in last place in the AFC North. "

So, was he fired, did he resign, or did he "resign" instead of being fired so he would get a golden shower, uh I mean parachute!