Question on Palmer...

xjjeep90

How come he tends to overthrow on the passes that are for 5-15 yards and yet he is so accurate (with the help of recievers) with big pass plays downfield? Is it his arm strength? The offense? Preference?

Just seems that if you can be so good on long passes, you should have no problem with the short ones. Granted some of those are under a little more pressure and he has to throw in between some defenders but what is the deal?

Over throws on short passes? If anything he tends to underthrow them so the WR can come back for them and avoid a possible INT in coverage. He's actually pretty accurate with all of his throws. The ones that aren't as accurate end up being INT's it seems. He either gets it there

The long throws he has been under-throwing lately - but my God they are like 50 yard tosses in the air half the time so I don't know what else he could do - but most of them seem to be jump balls and behind the WR....as if he has enough confidence in CJ or TJ to just do that and trust they'll either come down with it or bat it away.

The long throws he has been under-throwing lately - but my God they are like 50 yard tosses in the air half the time so I don't know what else he could do - but most of them seem to be jump balls and behind the WR

His deep balls (no homo) are in the air so long that it seems like they take away from some of the length. If he threw it at a lower angle it would probably get there a lot faster and in stride.

Look at Peyton Manning's bombs.....those things aren't in the air very long at all, and his WR's don't have to slow down or anything, they just catch it and go about their bidness.

I agree that he has underthrown many of his passes over 30 yrds. One reason, especially earlier in the year, was that he was throwing off his back foot usually avoiding defenders. Throwing off balance like that takes a bit of heat off the velocity but he still has the arm strength to get it there. Quite a few of his drops look like he threw the ball too hard, way harder than what they got used to from Kitna. Kind of a lame excuse, since a pro WR has to catch any ball that comes his way but I think Carson is still perfecting his touch passes.

Lately, he has been sky-ing the long passes. Most of which could have been picked. I hope, dear god I hope, that this is not Zampese and Brat trying to give him pointers on how to throw the deep ball...

As far as Palmer's INT's, I see most of them as mental mistakes. The Chump int is a perfect example. An ill-advised throw by a pseudo-rookie QB against a Pro-Bowl CB.

This may be going out on a limb but with a healthy Warrick out there, his completion percentage would be 7-12 % higher. In place of Warrick, I just think that KW drops a bit more passes than Warrick does and the TE's have dropped quite a few as well. TJ has done OK. I am not sure why I am not such a big TJ guy. He makes nice catches but does little after the catch, not a speed WR, somewhere between a possession guy and a true wide-out. I have a feeling that we will look at WR early in the draft due to Brat's whining. Squeaky wheels get the grease. I'd like a nice tall WR to complement Chad.

It you are referring to yesterdays game...

Palmer had missed practice most of the week and he came out cold and flat.

His 1st two throws looked like s**t....

Both were Off Target and had Nothing on them and the 2nd one went for an Easy INT.

After that Palmer seemed to get it together...

There was evidently a mis-communication on his 2nd INT where the RB was suppose to Break to the Ball but didn't.

And of course there was the Pass that CJ Punted to a defender for a INT.

But over all Palmer had a darn GOOD Game...

Yeah, his first two passes were horrible yesterday. I think he was thinking about his back a little too much and tryin to put some extra muscle into them. But after that, even when he made some more bad throws, he still came back and pushed that out of his head and moved on.

How come he tends to overthrow on the passes that are for 5-15 yards and yet he is so accurate (with the help of recievers) with big pass plays downfield? Is it his arm strength? The offense? Preference?

I think that when he's throwing the shorter passes he is more often having to worry about multiple defenders. This cause him to try and ease the ball in there or throw a bullet between defenders, etc. Much easier to make a mistake on those passes. On the long passes he pretty much just heaves it up there and let's the receiver make a play on the ball.