ML Prediction 10-6 ??

mtmeece

Marvin Lewis thinks that the Bengals can finish 10-6 ? I think that the defense has made good progress but they can't stay on the field for nearly 40 minuets per game and avoid injuries and fatigue for 6 consecutive games. Just for the heck of it lets say the bengals finish 6-10 this year. Fast forward to 2005 how many games do they devote to the learning curve they seem to be in this year. I have read a lot of posted comments about people wanting to see what Chris Perry can do, I think that he will be a great back but I also can't stomach the thought of not signing Rudi to an extended contract and starting next year with a new learning curve at such an important position.

I think the comments are really meant more to make the team believe in itself rather than Marvin and Co. actually thinking that we're going to win all these games. When you're the head coach, you've gotta say that you're gonna win. Any given Sunday and all that. Marvin wants to get the best out of his players for the last 6 games and the only way to get their best is for them to believe in themselves and their team. You can't get people to believe if you send the message that you're gonna lose.

Ok, folks...hate to be the one to point out the obvious. Whether or not he really thinks we can win out isn't the issue here. Regardless of what he REALLY thinks we're capable of, he has to approach the rest of the year as if it's a reachable goal. I mean consider the alternative...

Coach Lewis: "Well, folks...we'll be lucky to win half of the remaining schedule, so I'm thinking we'll shoot for 7-9...that sounds about right."

At this point, a worse record will help us more. So 8-8, 10-6, 4-12, no matter.

The only thing I want to see out of the Bengals at this point is Palmer improving his QB play. The line protecting him better. The WR catching more balls their way. The defense playing better, I know they've played well, but satisfaction is never a word that should be used with the Bengals.

I want to see every aspect of this team improve. If the record shows that, so be it. But we need to play small-ball so much better; then we can worry about records once this team knows how to close games out.

At this point, a worse record will help us more.

I've got to disagree with this.

More important, I think, than getting a higher draft pick is instilling this team with a sense of confidence and pride. Can you imagine what a winning record this season could do for this team, AND the fans? I think it would be far and away better for this team than getting a slightly higher draft pick (if that's what you were implying).

At this point, a worse record will help us more.

I've got to disagree with this.

More important, I think, than getting a higher draft pick is instilling this team with a sense of confidence and pride. Can you imagine what a winning record this season could do for this team, AND the fans? I think it would be far and away better for this team than getting a slightly higher draft pick (if that's what you were implying).

Well I didn't suggest the Bengals SHOULD lose to get a better draft pick. :lol:

I suggested for this team to have confidence it needs to show improvement on all aspects of the game; not make silly mistakes, learn, grow; this will install confidence alone. The team's record is of little discourse. We know what they can do. They know what they can do. Now the question isn't how many games they win, rather how they do in those remaining games. Everything else will fall into place...

I think the comments are really meant more to make the team believe in itself rather than Marvin and Co. actually thinking that we're going to win all these games. When you're the head coach, you've gotta say that you're gonna win. Any given Sunday and all that. Marvin wants to get the best out of his players for the last 6 games and the only way to get their best is for them to believe in themselves and their team. You can't get people to believe if you send the message that you're gonna lose.

I agree, he is trying to pump his team up. That is his job. Hopefully he is also calling a few people out and challenging them to step up.

Obviously the defense has carried this team the last few weeks. Perhaps his feeling is that than can win all of these games because of the improved play of the D. If they can get the offense scoring just a little more then their defense might give them the chance to win some games. Sounds like the formula in Baltimore.

They have only been "blown out" two of their six losses (Cleveland and Baltimore). THe rest were close, winnable games. Hopefully Carson , Kelly, Chad, Schobel and the rest can step up their play and make the difference.

...he is trying to pump his team up. That is his job. Hopefully he is also calling a few people out and challenging them to step up.

I hope it works.

My question is WHO and WHERE are the vocal leaders of the team? Where are the loud mouths that keeps the team charged? Chad? No, I lost that leadership quality in him when he was whinning and complaining during the 26-3 blasting of Dallas. Carson? Other than hike and huddle, I haven't seen him talk once.

I think someone needs to step for sure, but they need to step up and lead. Be the voice of the team. We don't have that yet. Well I guess Willie is probably the best example, but he's pretty much a locker room reflection type of motivator saying what the team has done wrong.

What do you guys think?

I'd be happy with half the penalties on offense and defense they usually average. I'd be happy with the shoddy o-line allowing Rudi to average 4 yards per carry or more for once, or for Palmer to have the time to sit in the pocket for a few seconds and make a sound decision, or for Levi Jones to actually pass protect and not get his young QB hammered into oblivion - or for Paul Alexander to actually develop a drafted o-lineman into his potential.

...he is trying to pump his team up.  That is his job.  Hopefully he is also calling a few people out and challenging them to step up.

I hope it works.

My question is WHO and WHERE are the vocal leaders of the team? Where are the loud mouths that keeps the team charged? Chad? No, I lost that leadership quality in him when he was whinning and complaining during the 26-3 blasting of Dallas. Carson? Other than hike and huddle, I haven't seen him talk once.

I think someone needs to step for sure, but they need to step up and lead. Be the voice of the team. We don't have that yet. Well I guess Willie is probably the best example, but he's pretty much a locker room reflection type of motivator saying what the team has done wrong.

What do you guys think?

Who is the voice of the Patriots' team?

Are you making a point of head coach being the leader? Trying to draw me in?

I could support that, but Lewis has way more to do before he's even comparible to Belicheck, but it could happen. But I was more referring to player, and I would say Brady, or half their defense, has taken that roll nicely for NE.

Every successful team has a player that's a leader, a face for the team. The Bengals have Marvin as that, which is fine, but players need to be apart of that roll as well.

Are you making a point of head coach being the leader?  Trying to draw me in?

I could support that, but Lewis has way more to do before he's even comparible to Belicheck, but it could happen.  But I was more referring to player, and I would say Brady, or half their defense, has taken that roll nicely for NE.

Every successful team has a player that's a leader, a face for the team.  The Bengals have Marvin as that, which is fine, but players need to be apart of that roll as well.

I was trying to point out that New England seems to be a team full of quiet/locker room type leaders, which I think is what Lewis is trying to create in Cincy.

As you pointed out, the Bengals have players like that...Willie Anderson being the first to come to mind.

I don't think Lewis wants any one player to be the "face" of the bengals, and I think New England is a good example of the fact that it isn't really needed.

It's the coaches job to the the spokesman...it's the job of the players to go out and play.

A few comments on a few comment from above.

Regarding the O-Line, I believe that at the end of the season we will find out that Levi Jones has been hurt and will need knee surgery this offseason. It is obvious that Willie will also need surgery as well. I also wonder how the departure of Mike Goff actually affected this team. Rudi had some of his best runs going behind Gof and Willie. They keep running those plays but they don't seem to be working this year.

As far as leadership, Willie is the leader in the locker room. Also I think last year we were all enamored with Chad but it seems that people are getting irritated with him now. He is not a cancer and he appears to be committed to this team. However, you can go back through the season and I'll bet for every great catch he has made, there are at least one if not two penalties on him that have hurt this team. I am not calling him out, and maybe the ones on Sunday were not justified but he is not in TO or Harrison's class yet. He needs to stop with the BS and go out and carry this team if that is what is required.

I would also like to see Palmer show a little more emotion once in awhile. Maybe he doesn't feel like he can get on a guy yet, but if someone runs the wrong route, then let him know about it. I would like to see him play mad and take up Lewis' challenge this week.

I think the Steelers loss could be viewed as a turning point in this franchise and ML's tenure as coach. He has publicly challenged his team for the first time since he has been here. How will they respond? Will they blow Cleveland away or will they curl up and die? We shall see.