Parcells Wanted Rudi!

HoosierCat

Here's a verrrrry interesting lil' nugget I found buried in Pasquarelli's Morning After column today:

The Cowboys wished they had been able to finish a trade for Bengals tailback Rudi Johnson early in the season. It was Johnson and not Corey Dillon, as was erroneously rumored, they really wanted.

Season would have been very different had that happened (not to mention the CD imbroglio being a lot less of an event had the media got their facts straight).

Well, it wouldn't have been the first time they considered trading Rudi. Last year they planned on either trading Rudi or Keaton, fortunately for the Bengals they traded Keaton to the Saints and kept Rudi. But I would have a feeling this trade rumor would have been from the Cowboys and not the Bengals because they knew that the only back they had on the roster that could lug the ball 20 times a game if Dillon went down was Rudi. However I wouldn't be suprised to see Rudi be on another team next year. He is a restricted free agent and I'm sure the Bengals will offer him enough for a first round pick, so if they lose him, they get a first round pick out of it. They may consider trading him even if he does sign, simply for salary cap purposes, and he is only the second best back on the team. But whatever happens Rudi has jacked his value on up, and theat's good for him, and the Bengals.

cheers

But whatever happens Rudi has jacked his value on up, and theat's good for him, and the Bengals.

cheers

This is going to be an interesting offseason, because I think that this is exactly what Dillon is trying to do now. One thing is for sure, that they will have to keep one of them.

The whole situation is so " iffy " right now that its hard to call. Can Dillon stay healthy .... does he really want to be gone next year ........ Does Lewis reall want him gone next year ......... can Rudi stay productive ...........

Right now, the answer to too many of the questions is going to depend on how things turn out. Ideally, it'd be great to have Kitna here to ease the transition of Palmer to the starting position, and the same could be said of Dillon and Rudi.

It is quite a change having to worry about too many productive people on the roster though.