Darrin Simmons

gregcook68

I don't follow the NFL much, other than the Bengals, but I have to believe that Simmons choice to stay as special teams coach for 20 years is very much the exception in the NFL.  Outside of Head Coaches, I doubt anyone else has CHOSEN to stay as an OC, DC, special teams, etc?

Everyone's dream is to be a HC.

Of course Simmons, from what I understand, was the only coach from the Lewis team that Taylor kept?

Hard to say. Some people know where they are happiest. Maybe he has no desire to be a head coach because of all the additional bullshit that comes with that position. If he fucks up, no one is putting him in front of a camera to answer for it. 

I was in the Army for 21 years and had no desire to be an Officer. I was happy where I was training my Soldiers and being in the dirt right next to them.

Not all money is good money !!

13 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Hard to say. Some people know where they are happiest. Maybe he has no desire to be a head coach because of all the additional bullshit that comes with that position. If he fucks up, no one is putting him in front of a camera to answer for it. 

I was in the Army for 21 years and had no desire to be an Officer. I was happy where I was training my Soldiers and being in the dirt right next to them.

Not all money is good money !!

I know when he lobbied to stay on with Zac he said as much Army.

I know for a fact, it was because he was special teams coach in Cincy that McPherson ended up on the Bengals, because Shayne Graham was coaching at Florida and gave Simmons a heads up about McPherson and Simmons went to Gainesville and worked McPherson, came back and told Zac that he was worth using a draft pick.

If Simmons had been elsewhere, unlikely McPherson would be a Bengal.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Hell, I don't remember most the assistance coaches, let alone their thoughts on things.
Was just thinking maybe he likes what he does.  Good for him I suppose and good for us?

All that information about Simmons and McPherson was on the website.  Also on the website was when Zac took over he wanted to clean house of all the Lewis staff and Simmons requested to stay, and yes good for him and good for the franchise.

Yes, he has said on the website, he likes what he does and not interested in a HC position.

Like you said, he probably prefers to stay in the background.

After 20 years it’s probably time to move on just on general principles. That said Simmons has been…steady. Never really had an elite unit but rarely a bad one either. If he left I wouldn’t cry, if he stays I won’t complain (any more than I usually do).