New punter on the way?

The Brew Man

GEORGETOWN, Ky. — There is no position more wide open with the Cincinnati Bengals than punter, and the team will begin to address that situation today.

According to a source who spoke on the condition of anonymity, the Bengals will bring in 15-year veteran Mark Royals for a workout today in hopes of getting more competition for Kyle Larson.

The starter last season, Kyle Richardson, suffered a torn biceps while trying to make a tackle against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a preseasongame.

Royals, 39, averaged 40.9 yards per punt last season in 14 games for the Jacksonville Jaguars and 42.1 yards per punt for his career.

Doesn't seem like a step up to me...

Oh well, I guess they just want to make sure Larson knows he can't rest easy thinking he's got the job.

I wish they would. Let's give the kid a week in which to punt without his looking over his shoulder. If he still can't improve, by all means bring Royals in. It's not like teams are clamoring for 39-year-old punters, after all...

Oh well, I guess they just want to make sure Larson knows he can't rest easy thinking he's got the job.

I wish they would. Let's give the kid a week in which to punt without his looking over his shoulder. If he still can't improve, by all means bring Royals in. It's not like teams are clamoring for 39-year-old punters, after all...

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you on this one.

I disagree for two reasons.

1. Competitiveness - this only helps someone. If someone else beats him out, then he wasn't worth it in the first place.

2. Team Insurance - If Larson doesn't work out, then your already one week ahead if you decided to pick a second punter up.

Why don't we look at a few professional soccer players? I'll bet the NFL pays more for non-superstar than the MLS and they all kick the ball pretty hard. Just an idea...

soccer players cant aim a football right off the bat and it would take time to train them. so no.

2ndly, who cares who our punter is going to be for godsake. it'll be larson most likely and if its royals, woopdedoo. both will avg around 40 yds a kick so it doesnt really matter to me.

Why don't we look at a few professional soccer players? I'll bet the NFL pays more for non-superstar than the MLS and they all kick the ball pretty hard. Just an idea...

Soccer wimps? No way....I live in a country full of people that know how to punt....The secret is Rugby players....Same shape, similar concept, the Rugby ball is just a touch bigger (plus heavier, but that would just mean they could punt a football further) I mean as bad as the punting has been surely it would be worth a shot?

Bring in anyone but Larson. The lst thing we need is some inexperienced kid kicking now!!!

Anyone remember the "Dorsch" experiment against Carolina in 2002??? Ouch

Now see, again you show how dumb your comments are.

The incident with Dorsch was because he hadn't punted or even practiced punting all year and they bring him on to punt against one of the best special teams units in the NFL. It had nothing to do with him being a rookie, it had everything to do with him being undercoached....a very typical problem with the Bengals pre Lewis plus the total disregard LeBeau had for special teams...Larson does not have that problem as the team has one of the best special teams coachs in the league, plus a head coach that understands special teams and how important they are.

Hey idiot, I was making that comment due to the insane comments that we should bring him BACK. READ THE THREAD.

I don't care if it was Satan who caused it to happen, it happened. He doesn't need to come back to the NFL. And the comment about the rookie thing is that this team is already young. Palmer is inexperienced. We need field position, hence good special teams, punting and kickoffs.

Now put down the controller, this is Madden. Think about it.

Case closed.

Hey idiot, I was making that comment due to the insane comments that we should bring him BACK. READ THE THREAD.

I don't care if it was Satan who caused it to happen, it happened. He doesn't need to come back to the NFL. And the comment about the rookie thing is that this team is already young. Palmer is inexperienced. We need field position, hence good special teams, punting and kickoffs.

Now put down the controller, this is Madden. Think about it.

Case closed.

Idiot? Yeah, that's you.

Well Dosch was Marvins biggest mistake last year....He should have kept him instead of Harris. Dorsch had potential but wasn't coached properly....Had he been brought in as a punter from the start things would have been very different for him...His career was LeBeaued....

Punters have to get experiance some time or the other...Better to get one and improve him versus some old washed up punter with no potential to improve.

If the offense was totally inept then a booming punter would be critical, but this offense will be able to move the ball...does that mean scoring every time? No. But it means getting a good 20 or 30 yards on a bad series and punting from there not three and out on the ten....

Case Closed

To go into another sport and bring a player in right now may not be the right move. I agree that a rugby player would be better than a soccer player. With the exception of goalies those guys don't kick like a punter most of the time. They make better place-kickers.

Try giving Larson the rest of the preseason, if he is still stinking up the place then go for a veteran like Royals who knows the position well enough not to be a liability.

Case Dismissed. :P

kirk:

I disagree for two reasons.

Color me surprised :rolleyes:

1. Competitiveness - this only helps someone.  If someone else beats him out, then he wasn't worth it in the first place.

Absolutely wrong. I've spent years in positions where I have to manage staff, kirk, and different people respond to competition differently. Some are invigorated by it; with others, their work is fine until challenged, and under pressure it declines. What I don't know is which kind Larson is.

2. Team Insurance - If Larson doesn't work out, then your already one week ahead if you decided to pick a second punter up.

If we were talking about another inexperienced guy like Eddie Johnson, I'd agree, but I don't think a handful of days is going to make much difference in Royals' case.

Why don't we look at a few professional soccer players?  I'll bet the NFL pays more for non-superstar than the MLS and they all kick the ball pretty hard.  Just an idea...

Soccer wimps? No way....I live in a country full of people that know how to punt....The secret is Rugby players....Same shape, similar concept, the Rugby ball is just a touch bigger (plus heavier, but that would just mean they could punt a football further) I mean as bad as the punting has been surely it would be worth a shot?

I.E. Darren Bennett (from Australia). That guy is the studliest punter I've ever seen (that's not saying much). I don't know if he played rugby or Aussie rules before joining the Chargers, but here's an example of a guy who not only can punt, but can run down the field and make a good tackle as well. I'm surprised more teams haven't looked down under for this type of punter.

As for soccer wimps (I played for 14 years), I agree with wookie. Unless you bring in a goalie (good hands, does allot of punting) they make much better place kickers.

GEORGETOWN, Ky. — There is no position more wide open with the Cincinnati Bengals than punter, and the team will begin to address that situation today.

According to a source who spoke on the condition of anonymity, the Bengals will bring in 15-year veteran Mark Royals for a workout today in hopes of getting more competition for Kyle Larson.

The starter last season, Kyle Richardson, suffered a torn biceps while trying to make a tackle against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in a preseasongame.

Royals, 39, averaged 40.9 yards per punt last season in 14 games for the Jacksonville Jaguars and 42.1 yards per punt for his career.

From the Bengals web site:

8/26/2004 - 8-26-04, 9 p.m.

BY GEOFF HOBSON

Larson had his best day of the season punting in Wednesday’s last practice at Georgetown College, and chalked it up to special teams coach Darrin Simmons’ computer program.

“It pretty much slows it down frame by frame and you can see what specifically you’re doing wrong,” Larson said of the practice video.

“We went back out and worked on it and so far so good.”

Simmons noticed Larson was holding the ball too straight before he dropped it on his foot, and Larson is also working on “holding my head up as I release into the ball.”

Simmons notes Larson is going to be punting in “optimum conditions,” inside the Georgia Dome, but also says, “We’re expecting good things from Kyle. He hit it really well yesterday and we think he’s going to keep going.”

Larson's four punts last Saturday carried just 159 yards.

Royals, 39, averaged 40.9 yards per punt last season in 14 games for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Am I missing something here or was Royals average last year only about one yard more than what Larson averaged last Saturday ?

Larson set a Nebraska record last season with a 45.1-yard punting average.

Let's Hope that they found the problem and that the kid gets back to punting like he did last year.