O-gun a Bear

We could have given them more than this...and done a deal like this... :angry:

Dolphins send Ogunleye to Bears for Booker

By STEVEN WINE

.c The Associated Press

MIAMI (AP) - The Chicago Bears acquired Pro Bowl defensive end Adewale Ogunleye from the Miami Dolphins on Saturday for receiver Marty Booker and a third-round draft choice in 2005.

The deal was contingent on Ogunleye reaching a contract agreement with the Bears, and he accepted a six-year, $33.4 million deal, agent Drew Rosenhaus said.

Ogunleye, who led the AFC with 15 sacks last season and made the Pro Bowl for the first time, had been unsigned and at a stalemate in negotiations with Miami since May.

``He's going to be a hard guy to replace,'' Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas said. ``I hate to lose a great player like Wale, but I like Wale, and I know he got what he wanted. They wouldn't give it to him here.''

For the Dolphins, the deal shores up a receiving corps depleted by injuries, including David Boston's season-ending knee injury. The Bears have been seeking to upgrade their pass rush, and starting end Alex Brown has been sidelined this summer by a sprained calf muscle.

Ogunleye's deal includes a $15 million signing bonus - $10 million initially, and $5 million at the end of the season, Rosenhaus said. The agent said the Dolphins offered only a $1 million signing bonus.

``We're pleased the Bears stepped up,'' Rosenhaus said. ``Wale is ecstatic. He's set for life, and he becomes one of the highest-paid defensive linemen in the history of the league.''

Booker wasn't in uniform for the Bears' exhibition game Saturday night against San Francisco. A possession receiver, he had 100 catches for 1,071 yards in 2001, and 97 for 1,189 yards in 2002, when he made Pro Bowl. He missed three games with ankle injury last season and was limited to 52 receptions for 715 yards.

Booker, who signed a seven-year, $28-million deal before the 2002 season, was a third-round draft pick in 1999 from Northeast Louisiana. Ogunleye signed with Miami as an undrafted free agent after playing at Indiana.

We could have given them more than this...and done a deal like this... :angry:

How? Pro bowl reciever...The only one that we've got is Chad, and he ain't for sale...Warrick is injured.....

I won't even go into the cap problems that a deal with him would have caused.

We didn't have the firepower to pull this off....Maybe Rudi??? Then what? Nope, to much would have been given up....

How? Pro bowl reciever...The only one that we've got is Chad, and he ain't for sale...Warrick is injured.....

I won't even go into the cap problems that a deal with him would have caused.

We didn't have the firepower to pull this off....Maybe Rudi??? Then what? Nope, to much would have been given up....

Who says WR is the only thing they would have taken? And I've already said that personally, I would trade Rudi for O-gun. So on that we'll just have to disagree.

Re the cap, if you trade Rudi, there's no issue. Near as I can figure, the Bengals have about $1 million in cap space right now. Trading Rudi frees up his $1.8 million. That gives you nearly $3 million, plenty of space to do a deal.

Who says WR is the only thing they would have taken? And I've already said that personally, I would trade Rudi for O-gun. So on that we'll just have to disagree.

Re the cap, if you trade Rudi, there's no issue. Near as I can figure, the Bengals have about $1 million in cap space right now. Trading Rudi frees up his $1.8 million. That gives you nearly $3 million, plenty of space to do a deal.

Well I did mention Rudi...But are you willing to leave the running duties in the hands of a rookie when our QB is as inexperianced as he is? Simply put we need two quality RB's more than a DE (now maybe I'd say something else if it was a young super run stuffing DT) that played opposite a great DE to make his job easier....Now O"whatshisname" would have a similar benefit playing opposite smith....But it's just too big a risk to take with the offense that the team could have. Besides, if Perry proves himself this season we might get a first rounder for him next year.

kev:

But are you willing to leave the running duties in the hands of a rookie when our QB is as inexperianced as he is? Simply put we need two quality RB's more than a DE (now maybe I'd say something else if it was a young super run stuffing DT) that played opposite a great DE to make his job easier

I wouldn't hesitate to put the ball in the hands of Kenny Watson; he's been successful as both a role player and a starter (4.6 yard average with the Skins on '02, played in all 16 games, started 4). That would still allow us to bring Perry along at a measured pace, and I expect he'd be pushing Watson for the starter's role fairly quickly. Between those two and Jeremi Johnson and James Lynch, I don't think we'd be hurting for a ground game.

On the other side, O-gun would have given us exactly what we don't have on the line now: two guys who need to be double-teamed. That would go a long way toward helping our LBs make plays. And there's no reason to think the combo of O-gun and Smith would be any less deadly than O-gun and Taylor.

Oh well. Water under the bridge now, he's a Bear.

Besides, if Perry proves himself this season we might get a first rounder for him next year.

I don't think they'd trade Perry. It's more likely that they let Rudi walk. That was another factor in my thinking: if Rudi was indeed a one-year wonder last year, then his value won't ever be higher. And if he's the real deal, are the Bengals willing to tag him to keep him (which they'd have to do)? Drafting Perry seems, at least to me, a pretty clear signal that they aren't.

Besides, if Perry proves himself this season we might get a first rounder for him next year.

I don't think they'd trade Perry. It's more likely that they let Rudi walk. That was another factor in my thinking: if Rudi was indeed a one-year wonder last year, then his value won't ever be higher. And if he's the real deal, are the Bengals willing to tag him to keep him (which they'd have to do)? Drafting Perry seems, at least to me, a pretty clear signal that they aren't.

Opps, mis spoke. I meant getting a first for Rudi...And I think the Bengals tag Rudi, at the very least transition him, but I expect him to be franchised depending on what happens....If Rudi even has an average season he has value, and he has shown that he wants to test free agency, but we need him....I think Watson is okay in spot duty, but is he an everydown, 20+ snap kinda guy? I have my doubts....For the long term sake of this team (don't make Palmer have to win every game on his arm, that's tough for any QB, much less an inexperienced one) we have to be plenty deep at running back this year.

But you're right it's water under the bridge...But hey, maybe the team did talk to the Dolphins? You just never know what the hell is going on with Marvin. :lol: But I think the Dolphins wanted a WR more than they wanted a RB.

I hope the Brown clan gives Rudi an extension as soon as possible. This is the guy we want toting the ball this year and the foreseeable future as far as I'm concerned. It might have been tempting to consider him for O-Gun and a 2nd.

The cap space could have been cleared enough to get the est. $5 million cap hit it wouldv'e taken to sign O-Gun. Now, Housh, Clemons, and Kelly for O-Gun, I would've went for that :rolleyes: