12-4

jonf45uk

hey there, Steelers fan here and not to troll at all - just a few thoughts:

While I do think my Steelers will pull out a win, it will be a close one - say a 7 or 3 point win.  My reasoning:

• Eifert - Our defense has constant blown assignments down the middle, not even mentioning Eifert's size and strength v our lower-rung secondary
  • Green - Our defense gives up at least 2-3 long balls every game, that, just when you think we may get the ball back to add to a lead, it lets the other team stay right in the game. This defense can have problems getting off the field on 3rd and long
  • Someone mentioned sticking with the run - I would be doing that just to keep that play action in my pocket. The Steelers LBs can get caught looking in. Perfect time for Eifert or Green. I wouldn't scoff at running it 6 or 7 straight times to open up your first drive, even if you punt to pin our offense back
  • Unless Ben has finally learned his lesson from the past 4 games, a pick in our own territory or pick 6 is highly likely. He will be pressing a little more especially if Williams is a no go at RB.

One thing I haven't heard about from any Bengals fans is playing clock control - I'd keep Ben and co on the sidelines as much as possible. All that said, Go Steelers! (And if for some reason, you guys win, it will have been well-earned and I'll be pulling for you). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelFury02 said:

hey there, Steelers fan here and not to troll at all - just a few thoughts:

While I do think my Steelers will pull out a win, it will be a close one - say a 7 or 3 point win.  My reasoning:

• Eifert - Our defense has constant blown assignments down the middle, not even mentioning Eifert's size and strength v our lower-rung secondary
  • Green - Our defense gives up at least 2-3 long balls every game, that, just when you think we may get the ball back to add to a lead, it lets the other team stay right in the game. This defense can have problems getting off the field on 3rd and long
  • Someone mentioned sticking with the run - I would be doing that just to keep that play action in my pocket. The Steelers LBs can get caught looking in. Perfect time for Eifert or Green. I wouldn't scoff at running it 6 or 7 straight times to open up your first drive, even if you punt to pin our offense back
  • Unless Ben has finally learned his lesson from the past 4 games, a pick in our own territory or pick 6 is highly likely. He will be pressing a little more especially if Williams is a no go at RB.

One thing I haven't heard about from any Bengals fans is playing clock control - I'd keep Ben and co on the sidelines as much as possible. All that said, Go Steelers! (And if for some reason, you guys win, it will have been well-earned and I'll be pulling for you). 

Great post with good points.

If William is out, and Dalton can't go, then I'd say the match-up is a toss-up. AJM is decent but does not make his reads as quick (not really a surprise, considering).

The Bengals D is just a rough when comes to stopping TEs, so Ben will exploit that early and often. The Pitt line has improved during the last 5-6 games and will do a better job keeping Ben clean, though Atkins and Dunlap are elite players who will get to him a bit, how much will dictate how effective he can be hitting AB, who our CBs cant cover.

The Bengals offense has been adequate, except for second half v Denver, so I expect them to have a good gameplan to exploit the back half of the Steelers D. Steelers D plays the run as well as any team, so your point about getting a run heavy series going to trigger playaction will only work if AJM can properly execute, which is a big if.

other factor is ST, and Bengals have been a bit shaky, with Nugent missed FGs in last Pitt matchup and loss at Denver (very costly), so this could come into play. Boswell missed one v Cleveland but it wasn't critical, and hadn't missed one since early Nov. The edge goes to Pitt on punt returns as AB is as dangerous as anyone.

Its a level matchup, Os to Ds and should be a hell of a game. No one wants to play Pitt in January, but this is the match up. just be ready for our bitching about that punk Mitchell an his cheap shots, as we will be ready to field your issues with how Burfict goes after your guys. in another thread I predicted a 24-17 win, if bengals D can force Ben into several mistakes, not a huge stretch.AJM can do enough to get the ball to playmakers like Green and Eifert, so thats where I see the Bengals scoring points, and on D.

Should be a hell of a game, don't be a stranger

• Like 1

Cincy's ability to curtail (or not) 3rd down conversions will be crucial in my opinion ..... for me, that's where this game will be won or lost.

It's a fairly even match-up, homefield advantage negated by Dalton out = equality. Pitts experience and success vs Cincy due to win a post seasoner by law of averages = equality. Pitts O vs Cincy D = equality.

Thanks for having me - i'll reiterate again what I said (what was it, yesterday?). Your run game can especially get yards on the outside - I'm shocked the edge hasn't been exploited a little more. Some heavy packages with misdirection should be sprinkled in against the Steelers D. 

Also - it would be foolish to not try the long ball on 1st and 2nd and short @ Blake at least 3-4times. You can just about count on Blake be responsible for giving up 30-60 yards in one play, which means he's at least good to spot the opposing team two field goals. 

All the smart Steelers fans are not cocky about this one - past history has no bearing on this at all. Look at what the Ravens did against us dating back to the wild card round last season - extremely aggressive, no fear attack will put this squarely on Ben and co - which means no turnovers if we want to win. 

Edited by SteelFury02
because i'm not sure if I can spell

1 hour ago, SteelFury02 said:

Thanks for having me - i'll reiterate again what I said (what was it, yesterday?). Your run game can especially get yards on the outside - I'm shocked the edge hasn't been exploited a little more. Some heavy packages with misdirection should be sprinkled in against the Steelers D. 

Also - it would be foolish to not try the long ball on 1st and 2nd and short @ Blake at least 3-4times. You can just about count on Blake be responsible for giving up 30-60 yards in one play, which means he's at least good to spot the opposing team two field goals. 

All the smart Steelers fans are not cocky about this one - past history has no bearing on this at all. Look at what the Ravens did against us dating back to the wild card round last season - extremely aggressive, no fear attack will put this squarely on Ben and co - which means no turnovers if we want to win. 

It will come down to take-aways. Another ugly weakness of Cincy is penalties. Count on Kirkpatrick to get at least one huge PI call, likely v AB. that is worth at least a FG. Count on Andre Smith (RT) to negate at least one big play, kill a drive, with a holding call, and Burfict to get a Personal Foul of some sort to extend a drive, probably on a critical third down.

If DeAngelo Williams is limited, it will make it tough on Pitt D. Dri Archer and Jordan Todman don't strike fear in anyone. Who else can run the ball?