More Drug Charges Against Jamal Lewis

ATLANTA (AP) -- Baltimore Ravens running back Jamal Lewis, already facing federal drug conspiracy charges, was hit Tuesday with an extra charge of attempting to possess cocaine.

The charge was included in a superseding indictment, a common move used by federal authorities to refine the original accusations.

Lewis is accused of trying to get the cocaine with his childhood friend, Angelo Jackson. Prosecutors say that Lewis and Jackson tried to buy cocaine in Atlanta in 2000 from an undercover informant.

Both were charged in the conspiracy case in February, but at first only Jackson was charged with attempted cocaine possession. On Tuesday, the government announced both would be charged.

Lewis' lawyers called the extra charge a minor one and didn't think it would complicate their defense. Lewis has maintained his innocence.

"This is not big news for us," said Lewis' attorney Ed Garland.

In its latest indictment, the government wrote that Lewis took Jackson to a restaurant in Atlanta to introduce him to a man he thought could get him cocaine, although the man waiting there was an informant.

Lewis called the informant about two weeks later and asked him to sell Jackson a kilogram of cocaine, according to the indictment. Among Lewis' charges is the use of a telephone to facilitate a felony.

Lewis' trial is scheduled to begin Nov. 1 in Atlanta. The running back has said he will not let the trial distract him from the upcoming season.

"Jamal Lewis maintains his innocence to all of the charges that have been brought, and he expects a jury will reach the same conclusion," Garland said Tuesday.

The FBI/Atlanta authorities are fighting this case in the court of public opinion. Obviously if you intend to distribute cocaine, you intend to possess it. Why it takes them 3 extra months to come up with this charge is beyond me.

This case is 4 years old and while they were able to swing an indictment, it will be much more difficult to swing a conviction based upon their "evidence".

"And the hits just keep on coming...."

I'm loving it. What a total moron. So Jam, what are the Ravens going to do in Mid-Season when Jamal isn't going to play??? What will you do for a Running Game???

Why would a Multi-Millionaire on top of the world do this??? Maybe I should ask the same thing of Ray Lewis???

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm loving it. What a total moron. So Jam, what are the Ravens going to do in Mid-Season when Jamal isn't going to play??? What will you do for a Running Game???

Why would a Multi-Millionaire on top of the world do this??? Maybe I should ask the same thing of Ray Lewis???

:lol::lol::lol:

you can't take the Raven out of the hood, but you can't take the hood out of the Raven.

Why would a Multi-Millionaire on top of the world do this???  Maybe I should ask the same thing of Ray Lewis???

Didn't this happen a few years back?

I believe it happened a few months before he was drafted...He knew he was gonna go high...But hey, once a thug, always a thug.....

I'm loving it.  What a total moron.  So Jam, what are the Ravens going to do in Mid-Season when Jamal isn't going to play???  What will you do for a Running Game???

Why would a Multi-Millionaire on top of the world do this???  Maybe I should ask the same thing of Ray Lewis???

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Was Ray Lewis proven innocent or guilty?

What are we going to do in Jamal's case? For starters, Jamal will miss 2 games tops for the trial. In his place we will use Musa Smith and Chester Taylor. I have all the confidence in the world in those two guys and I'd even argue that Musa Smith is equal to your beloved Rudi who had all of 4/5 good games last season. As usual, our backups are as good as your starters (except for quarterbacks and wide receivers obviously) So I know we'll be fine. You may not believe me but we'll be ok.

As I've said on here before, these charges are 4 years old and Jamal had been working with the federal authorities to help bring this cocaine ring down. Bottom line is that Jamal didn't know enough or wouldn't tell them enough so they are now slapping the indictment on him. He won't be proven guilty either. In a court of law where you have to prove guilt, Im afraid jurors will find way too much reasonable doubt. I could be wrong but I like Jamal's chances to get off. Worst case scenario would be a conviction which would be delayed with appeal. Therefore, Jamal will be with us ALL season and we can have a run at the ring at full force.

I believe it happened a few months before he was drafted...He knew he was gonna go high...But hey, once a thug, always a thug.....

Ok fellas I hate to break it to you but you're naive if you think everyone on the Bengals is pure of heart and soul. Look at where these players come from and look where most of their friends are.

Im not defending Jamal, if he is proven guilty, well then he certainly deserves the appropriate punishment. But don't sit here and criticize Jamal or the Ravens as thugs and ignore the fact that you have players on your team right now who you would not want your kids to be hanging with.

Get off your high horses.

If the "image" of the Ravens is that we're all thugs well then ok. We'll still beat you on the field where it matters most w/o apology.

I'm loving it.  What a total moron.  So Jam, what are the Ravens going to do in Mid-Season when Jamal isn't going to play???  What will you do for a Running Game???

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Was Ray Lewis proven innocent or guilty?

What are we going to do in Jamal's case? For starters, Jamal will miss 2 games tops for the trial. In his place we will use Musa Smith and Chester Taylor. I have all the confidence in the world in those two guys and I'd even argue that Musa Smith is equal to your beloved Rudi who had all of 4/5 good games last season. As usual, our backups are as good as your starters (except for quarterbacks and wide receivers obviously) So I know we'll be fine. You may not believe me but we'll be ok.

As I've said on here before, these charges are 4 years old and Jamal had been working with the federal authorities to help bring this cocaine ring down. Bottom line is that Jamal didn't know enough or wouldn't tell them enough so they are now slapping the indictment on him. He won't be proven guilty either. In a court of law where you have to prove guilt, Im afraid jurors will find way too much reasonable doubt. I could be wrong but I like Jamal's chances to get off. Worst case scenario would be a conviction which would be delayed with appeal. Therefore, Jamal will be with us ALL season and we can have a run at the ring at full force.

Ok fellas I hate to break it to you but you're naive if you think everyone on the Bengals is pure of heart and soul. Look at where these players come from and look where most of their friends are.

Im not defending Jamal, if he is proven guilty, well then he certainly deserves the appropriate punishment. But don't sit here and criticize Jamal or the Ravens as thugs and ignore the fact that you have players on your team right now who you would not want your kids to be hanging with.

Get off your high horses.

If the "image" of the Ravens is that we're all thugs well then ok. We'll still beat you on the field where it matters most w/o apology.

Do you feel better Jam? ;)

As I've said on here before, these charges are 4 years old and Jamal had been working with the federal authorities to help bring this cocaine ring down.

Sounds like he's been trying to save his own ass by shafting everyone else - nice teamwork!

Seriously though, what stance do the NFL take on such matters should Lewis be convicted? Are they likely to strip him of all his records/achievements.

IF hes convicted it'll be for a lesser charge with like 0 time in jail. His ass would nark out everyone and his career will continue and he has enough money to not worry about the vengance most people would suffer. So honestly we are kidding ourselves if we think this man will get what he deserves. AND FYI Obviously he's guilty of something otherwise the grand jury wouldnt have issued an indictment. Its not like the prosecutors are allowed to have a trial against people without suffecient evidence.

IF hes convicted it'll be for a lesser charge with like 0 time in jail. His ass would nark out everyone and his career will continue and he has enough money to not worry about the vengance most people would suffer. So honestly we are kidding ourselves if we think this man will get what he deserves. AND FYI Obviously he's guilty of something otherwise the grand jury wouldnt have issued an indictment. Its not like the prosecutors are allowed to have a trial against people without suffecient evidence.

That would be true if every trial rendered a guilty verdict.