Other team's QB situations across the league

cincyhokie

Watching that Denver-Indy game, there was something weird about Denver's playcalling. It was like all of the sudden, they had the spirit of Al Davis take over the offense. Vertical throws, again and again. just baffling. It was really odd and out of the blue.Deep throw, seep throw, deep throw.... anyone else scratch their head, too?

Yeah me too. And they called the same exact play to Sanders on two consecutive plays.

I think the Bengals had made some reference to thinking they could go deep on Indy two weeks ago but that didn't pan out either. Many Indy is just better than they are given credit for. Vontae Davis is a star in the making.

Yup, ninth one-and-done. Even Andy has a ways to go to break that record.

If it wasn't for 2006, P. Manning would probably go down as the most disappointing QB in NFL history. And even that ring isn't much of a defense. The Colts won more in spite of Peyton (3 TDs, 7 INTs in four games, including the Super Bowl) than because of him.

I remember a big game when he was a Tennessee (maybe Jr. year) that he absolutely was awful in. I don't remember who they were playing but there was a lot of hype and he was probably in the Heisman discussion but he was not very good that evening.

I find it so mystifying how he can just roll people week after week during the regular season yet be so average during his playoff career.

Welp, I think last night's national championship game demonstrated why NFL QBs are hard to come by. Not that there weren't some pretty throws, but at the end of the day the Bucks got it done with almost 300 yards rushing -- an absurd number by NFL standards. If even at the pinnacle of the collegiate level you can still run your way to a title like this was some state HS final, well, why should high school or college coaches put that much emphasis on QB development? Sure, if a great one happens to fall from the heavens, awesome. But that's a bonus. You don't need one to win.

Welp, I think last night's national championship game demonstrated why NFL QBs are hard to come by. Not that there weren't some pretty throws, but at the end of the day the Bucks got it done with almost 300 yards rushing -- an absurd number by NFL standards. If even at the pinnacle of the collegiate level you can still run your way to a title like this was some state HS final, well, why should high school or college coaches put that much emphasis on QB development? Sure, if a great one happens to fall from the heavens, awesome. But that's a bonus. You don't need one to win.

Couple that Cat, with a defense that looked like the Seattle Seahawks! A third string QB just beat the Heisman winning QB!

I started a thread and I know Meyer is at his alma mater and would probably not want to leave, but I'd take him as Bengals HC today!!!

Yes you do. Bucks got it done with defense. They bottled up the Ducks "blur" offense, which is very rare.

You need a good enough one that you can set up a back to run Like Zeke did. Which is very rare.

The example of that game is not enough to declare you can "get by" with an average QB, and only needs a massive running game to succeed in the NFL.

Don't underestimate the value of Ohio State's ability to stretch the field, in addition to mashing the run game.

The example of that game is not enough to declare you can "get by" with an average QB, and only needs a massive running game to succeed in the NFL.

Well, it's a good thing I didn't declare any such thing, eh? ;)

My point is that it's enough to succeed even at the top of the college level, and that goes a long way toward explaining why there seem to be so few true pro prospects at QB showing up every April these days.

Well, it's a good thing I didn't declare any such thing, eh? ;)/>

My point is that it's enough to succeed even at the top of the college level, and that goes a long way toward explaining why there seem to be so few true pro prospects at QB showing up every April these days.

Ok, got it. But I'd add to that. The QB position and needs for success in elite college play are not the same as for the NFL. There are no shortage of elite college QBs who cannot transition to the NFL. Further, there are no shortage of college QBs who were decent there but since there skillsets were suited for the NFL, it took getting there to grew their game to become elite in the NFL.

But in reading it again, I think we are both saying the same thing.

Couple that Cat, with a defense that looked like the Seattle Seahawks! A third string QB just beat the Heisman winning QB!

I started a thread and I know Meyer is at his alma mater and would probably not want to leave, but I'd take him as Bengals HC today!!!

Just for the record Urban Meyer graduated from THE University of Cincinnati not OSU. They can't have credit for everything lol. But I would take an infusion of Urban Meyer here if that would ever be possible.

Hoosier, Meyer was on the St. X staff in the period we spent time on North Bend Rd. So, let's take some credit for his entry into coaching... hey, roots are roots. "We are Xavier men forever, as we hail the White and Blue!"

Random thought about Cardell Jones.

If he were to have come out of the draft this season, it was likely that he would have slipped to the 2nd or 3rd round. I really, really, think the Steelers would have drafted him as the successor to Ben.

Now, by staying in school, he will likely go 1st round to a team in the top 10. If not, he'll be exposed and drop.

I'm glad that he stayed at OSU.