Team Problems and Causes

UK Bengal

Why was the window this year....who do we have leaving next year, Collins? MJ? that is going to be the difference between 11-5 and division champs and 5-11? This is a VERY young team still and will continue to get better next year we should have Atkins back and another year of seasoning for iLoka, Kirkpatrick, Bernard, Hunt. Getting Lamur back as well as Porter and Geathers, this will be fine they will be a better team next year and we will let the chips fall where they may in the playoffs.

If an 11-5 team is enough to make you not want to be a Bengals fan anymore then don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

So say the Texans and Falcons in 2013.

Purely looking at the record, purely looking at stats in this case, the Bengals won that game yeseterday, right? That's the logic we're using here. 11-5 this season won't necessarily translate. Why? Because there is a HUGE mental aspect to the game that this team, for whatever reason, can't get.

Throw in a difficult schedule next season and it's easy to see them miss the playoffs and end up with a losing record.

You can have all of the talent in the world, if you don't have the direction, leadership, and mental toughness when it counts the most, nothing matters.

I'm just calling it how I see it. In fact, if we drop the negative stereotype of fans calling a spade a spade, and step out of denial maybe we'll get over this damn hump.

All of those prognosticators are absolutely right about this team, and even this fanbase. Let's own up to the flaws, get better, make the tough moves that need to be made, and stop trying to shine the turd when we know it's a turd.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was the window this year....who do we have leaving next year, Collins? MJ? that is going to be the difference between 11-5 and division champs and 5-11? This is a VERY young team still and will continue to get better next year we should have Atkins back and another year of seasoning for iLoka, Kirkpatrick, Bernard, Hunt. Getting Lamur back as well as Porter and Geathers, this will be fine they will be a better team next year and we will let the chips fall where they may in the playoffs.

If an 11-5 team is enough to make you not want to be a Bengals fan anymore then don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

Purely looking at the record, purely looking at stats in this case, the Bengals won that game yeseterday, right? That's the logic we're using here. 11-5 this season won't necessarily translate. Why? Because there is a HUGE mental aspect to the game that this team, for whatever reason, can't get.

Throw in a difficult schedule next season and it's easy to see them miss the playoffs and end up with a losing record.

You can have all of the talent in the world, if you don't have the direction, leadership, and mental toughness when it counts the most, nothing matters.

I'm just calling it how I see it. In fact, if we drop the negative stereotype of fans calling a spade a spade, and step out of denial maybe we'll get over this damn hump.

All of those prognosticators are absolutely right about this team, and even this fanbase. Let's own up to the flaws, get better, make the tough moves that need to be made, and stop trying to shine the turd when we know it's a turd.

Okay.................how do WE get this done?? Realistically.............what can WE do to change things and get the demands? I'm not being sarcastic, if someone can come up with a serious plan on how WE can do that, I'm in.

At least with our government we have our voting power, but outside of emails and letters to Bengal management, OR if someone here knows directly or indirectly someone with an influential voice, I don't see how WE can make any difference whatsoever, but I'm open for suggestions as opposed to talking, ranting, and raving!!

Sd players were saying that the Bengals did nothing different. After the half you could see that the Chargers changed things and the Bengals didn't. Thats coaching. Zimmer has never won a playoff game either as a DC. All of his playoff teams in Cincy have sucked in the playoffs. Horrible. They play average the 1st half and then get worn out. There is too much talent to be average on both sides of the ball. Thats what they were and have been through all 5 trips to the playoffs. Average.

Okay.................how do WE get this done?? Realistically.............what can WE do to change things and get the demands? I'm not being sarcastic, if someone can come up with a serious plan on how WE can do that, I'm in.

At least with our government we have our voting power, but outside of emails and letters to Bengal management, OR if someone here knows directly or indirectly someone with an influential voice, I don't see how WE can make any difference whatsoever, but I'm open for suggestions as opposed to talking, ranting, and raving!!

Yeah, as far as the fans go, there's really not much that can be done. In fact, just as in politics, as you mentioned things don't change from forced movements as much as they reflect trends in attitude. We saw that here in the early 2000's when Marvin was hired and some of the old ways shifted due to fan apathy to some extent. Good luck voting, by the way! (We've got a better chance of making change by voting with our wallet)

I guess my comment was more about a shift in awareness. Will it have an immediate effect, I doubt it. I'm just tired of fans getting on other fans for talking about the evidence we see on the field. This team needs a psychological enema. This city and fanbase need to exorcise some demons.

If anyone else was at the game yesterday, you could feel it after Dalton fumbled on that scramble. The air of confidence in the stadium left. It left the fans, it left the team. We have a loser mentality. Period. Part of the solution, in my opinion, is to ADMIT we have a loser mentality, and that we are soft mentally under pressure. Time to own it. Time for the team to stop side stepping it.

Maybe then, then...we can lose our obsession with playing "not to lose" and go out with a mentality of "f**k it, bring it on". Because right now, the mentality in win or go home game, national stage games....is curl into the fetal position. Then run back to our pretty stats and record and say "yay, we're still good, see! Look at our stats and record."

So we're already giving up on 2014?

I'm so glad the Bengals fan base isn't prone to overreaction.

Not giving up on anything. If I would have given up it would have been about 15 or so years ago.

Calling it as I see it. Not sure how this is an overreaction. What evidence has this team shown that it can get over the hump? Please, let's stop trying to make rainbow and gumdrop smile excuses for what we witnessed yesterday.

Yeah, as far as the fans go, there's really not much that can be done. In fact, just as in politics, as you mentioned things don't change from forced movements as much as they reflect trends in attitude. We saw that here in the early 2000's when Marvin was hired and some of the old ways shifted due to fan apathy to some extent. Good luck voting, by the way! (We've got a better chance of making change by voting with our wallet)

I guess my comment was more about a shift in awareness. Will it have an immediate effect, I doubt it. I'm just tired of fans getting on other fans for talking about the evidence we see on the field. This team needs a psychological enema. This city and fanbase need to exorcise some demons.

If anyone else was at the game yesterday, you could feel it after Dalton fumbled on that scramble. The air of confidence in the stadium left. It left the fans, it left the team. We have a loser mentality. Period. Part of the solution, in my opinion, is to ADMIT we have a loser mentality, and that we are soft mentally under pressure. Time to own it. Time for the team to stop side stepping it.

Maybe then, then...we can lose our obsession with playing "not to lose" and go out with a mentality of "f**k it, bring it on". Because right now, the mentality in win or go home game, national stage games....is curl into the fetal position. Then run back to our pretty stats and record and say "yay, we're still good, see! Look at our stats and record."

There's much here I agree with, and again, we have the right to express your opinions, thoughts, strategies, and feelings, in here, after all, this is what the forums are for.

I will not criticize, I can agree to disagree in love, but will not attack or criticize or call someone defeatist or stupid.

All I am asking is the same!

As far as voting, I've always lived by the adage, if you vote, you have the right to complain, if you don't vote, keep your mouth shut! ;)

I don't think they have a loser mentality. But what do I know, eh? I'm probably just a loser, too.

31 other teams, hokie.

I'm all about people having opinions. I also don't think that when I bring up mine, and it happens to reflect an opinion that makes others uncomfortable, that I am suggested that I "go cheer for another team".

Sorry. This is like brining up to people that the economy is collapsing or that Edward Snowden needs to be listened to. Sometimes the truth is s**tty. It doesn't make me less of an American, and bringing up the intrinsic faults of this team doesn't make me less of a "fan".

Though, I think I did just remind myself that this is just a game. A fleeting game.

There's much here I agree with, and again, we have the right to express your opinions, thoughts, strategies, and feelings, in here, after all, this is what the forums are for.

I will not criticize, I can agree to disagree in love, but will not attack or criticize or call someone defeatist or stupid.

Hopefully, I didn't come across as attacking. If I did, I apologize. Honestly, I think we need a balance of positivity and blunt truth negativity based honesty. Serious.

I appreciate the positivity into the future. We need that. Abosultely.

I'm here to bring the trash. At least for awhile. Why? Because it's just as important as it is to point to the bright spots.

Hopefully, I didn't come across as attacking. If I did, I apologize. Honestly, I think we need a balance of positivity and blunt truth negativity based honesty. Serious.

I appreciate the positivity into the future. We need that. Abosultely.

I'm here to bring the trash. At least for awhile. Why? Because it's just as important as it is to point to the bright spots.

It's all good Cincy! After all, unless you say otherwise, we are ON the SAME team.........as dysfunctional as it may be!! :sure:

I can't really think of much more to discuss.

Don't like Gruden.

Marvin and Dalton stay.

Who knows with Zimmer ??

The draft is coming up, but even that has to wait for coaching changes and free agency concerns to be addressed.

THIS is the time of the football year I hate very much, which is amplified when your team gets bounced in the wild card game.

So we're already giving up on 2014?

I'm so glad the Bengals fan base isn't prone to overreaction.

I'm saying it doesn't matter in 2014, because the only thing we'll hear about is how Andy and Marv will do in the post-season. It will be discussed every week, and it's gonna grow into King Kong on both Dalton and Marvs back. HUGE LOSS

I think they let Dalton play out his contract, and will draft a QB in the first three rounds to be groomed as his replacement over the next two years of that contract

Sadly, I dont think AJ Green will want to stay here with a quarterback rebuilding process underway

Will he want to stay here if Dalton remains? That's a big question. Does he want to spend his entire career with a QB whose weakness is Aj's strength (going deep)? If AJs agent tells MB this sort of thing in private then that may spur him to do something.

I'd like to see them get in on the talks for Ryan Mallett. He'll be 26 next year and can't really sit much more behind Brady. The Pats need TEs and we have 'em. I'd like to see a TE and possibly a draft pick traded to NE for a guy who either needs to be traded now or they'll lose him for nothing after next yr.

I don't think they have a loser mentality. But what do I know, eh? I'm probably just a loser, too.

31 other teams, hokie.

I'm all about people having opinions. I also don't think that when I bring up mine, and it happens to reflect an opinion that makes others uncomfortable, that I am suggested that I "go cheer for another team".

Sorry. This is like brining up to people that the economy is collapsing or that Edward Snowden needs to be listened to. Sometimes the truth is s**tty. It doesn't make me less of an American, and bringing up the intrinsic faults of this team doesn't make me less of a "fan".

Though, I think I did just remind myself that this is just a game. A fleeting game.

Your opinion doesn't make me uncomfortable, hokie. But wanting the team to admit they are losers is, well, rock stupid.

It's funny. Three days ago this was a great team with great management and great coaches.

Now they are losers and the answer is to blow everything up.

It looks like it may be time for me to take a vacation from this board because it's really starting to piss me off.

31 other teams, hokie.

Your opinion doesn't make me uncomfortable, hokie. But wanting the team to admit they are losers is, well, rock stupid.

It's funny. Three days ago this was a great team with great management and great coaches.

It looks like it may be time for me to take a vacation from this board because it's really starting to piss me off.

So you're getting pissed off, uncomfortable, whatever. Same thing.

I don't suggest blowing things up. I suggest taking a deep look at our "loser mentality". It's kind of like telling your friend he's "being an a**h***". It's not like he is an a**h***.

Deflecting the fact this team shrinks under the spotlight, again, just adds to the problem of not getting over it. Own it, address it, work on it, and make it better.

It's not like those national guys are Bengal haters when they criticize. They're seeing things out of that emotional space we are in as fans. Got see it for what it is. Take it head on, trim the fat, and make things better.

31 other teams, hokie.

So you're getting pissed off, uncomfortable, whatever. Same thing.

I don't suggest blowing things up. I suggest taking a deep look at our "loser mentality". It's kind of like telling your friend he's "being an a**h***". It's not like he is an a**h***.

Deflecting the fact this team shrinks under the spotlight, again, just adds to the problem of not getting over it. Own it, address it, work on it, and make it better.

It's not like those national guys are Bengal haters when they criticize. They're seeing things out of that emotional space we are in as fans. Got see it for what it is. Take it head on, trim the fat, and make things better.

Keeping the discussion civil, but real, for the argument's sake, let's say I agree with you.

"Cincy, you are right on the money, we have that loser defeatist attitude. I'm tired of it too. Outside of us expressing that point and frustration here in the forum, what can you and I do to start a process that will significantly change that?

Three days ago I would agree that they were viewed as a great team.

However, it wasn't like they were without flaws and the flaw mentioned most (Dalton) had another poor showing.

I don't agree that most thought they had great coaches, minus Zimmer.

People have given both Marvin and Gruden sh*t all season long and yesterday only reinforced those thoughts.

Three days ago, this team also didn't just lose it's 3rd straight wild card game.

This is just how things go after a loss of this nature.

Nothing to see here, just move along.

The tide of conversation will slowly shift away from the game and to what the team does next.

What won't shift are the criticisms of Dalton and Marvin.

I can't say as that is wrong. It's deserved.

That being said, where does the team go from here ??

WE can't make any change to that obviously, but it's just talk Greg.

What do you think we should do ?? Just spitballing of course.

I'm not being funny in the least.

Do you have a family? A job? Other hobbies besides football?

That would be a good place to start!

I try not to worry or fret over anything I have no control over!

I used to follow sports like some crazed psycho years ago! Baseball, basketball, football, boxing (heck I used to know all the champions in every weight division)

Ever since the strikes in the 80s......I shut it all down, and became a casual fan again. Just root for and follow the Reds, Bengals, and some college teams that my family is tied to.

What can I do? I can stop supporting the teams by paying to go to the games. I went a Bengals game in Miami a few years back, and went to the Jacksonville game in 2012. Both were gifts for my birthday. I do not attend spring training games even though the Red Sox and Twins spring train here in town, and have attended one Red Sox/Tampa and one Cincinnati/Atlanta game in the last 32 years, both were early birthday gifts as well.

Outside of that my friend, NOTHING can be done, by ME to change a thing!!

But we could have been so much more than an 11-5 team with a play-off third seed. One win out of the games that (on paper anyway) we coulda/shoulda won ... chicago, miami, cleveland, baltimore, ... and we wouldn't have even been playing this weekend.

11-5 isn't the issue IMHO, it's not even that we don't win when perhaps we should, ...it's that we don't compete when we should that would allow us to win.

We have a seemingly fairly brutal schedule next season and 11-5 would be a successful season on the face of it, but it will count for diddly-squat if we blow chances for post season bye's and end up getting rear-roasted in the first play-off game.

WE can't make any change to that obviously, but it's just talk Greg.

What do you think we should do ?? Just spitballing of course.

I'm not being funny in the least.

Do you have a family? A job? Other hobbies besides football?

That would be a good place to start!

I try not to worry or fret over anything I have no control over!

I used to follow sports like some crazed psycho years ago! Baseball, basketball, football, boxing (heck I used to know all the champions in every weight division)

Ever since the strikes in the 80s......I shut it all down, and became a casual fan again. Just root for and follow the Reds, Bengals, and some college teams that my family is tied to.

What can I do? I can stop supporting the teams by paying to go to the games. I went a Bengals game in Miami a few years back, and went to the Jacksonville game in 2012. Both were gifts for my birthday. I do not attend spring training games even though the Red Sox and Twins spring train here in town, and have attended one Red Sox/Tampa and one Cincinnati/Atlanta game in the last 32 years, both were early birthday gifts as well.

Outside of that my friend, NOTHING can be done, by ME to change a thing!!

This is a perspective that comes with age. As a long hardened Bengal fan, I've learned not to give them my heart. They'll break it everytime. My poor teenage nephew hasn't learned this yet and I feel for him. I used to be there myself but years of Bengaldom has gotten me past it.