Exclusive Company for Marvin Jones

HoosierCat

I was reading Bill Barnwell's week 8 roundup on Grantland -- which is worth a look, he has lots good to say about Cincy, scroll down to "Perfect Day," -- and clicked on the link to this chart. That's all the receivers and TEs since 1960 with 4+ TD days.

When you're on a list with Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Issac Bruce, Irving Fryar, Sterling Sharpe, Jerry Rice...and Da Coach hisself...yeah, that's a pretty good day.

(Thanks again Messers Belichick & Kraft! :))

what's truly incredible, to me, is that Marvin was only in on 18 offensive snaps according to the cincyjungle site.

8 catches, 100+ yards, 4 TDs, 18 plays.

I didn't think he'd played that few, but that really is impressive. Another interesting tidbit is that he was targeted 8 times by Andy, so they had a 100% attempt/completion ratio. Talk about chemistry!

99 NFL receivers have gotten more passes thrown to them than Marvin has, yet he's 5th in league in receiving TDs and 24th in first downs plus TDs. He's like the Sam Bam Cunningham of receivers.

I assume that he'd never keep up this efficiency if he were in on more plays. But it'd be worth finding out.

I'm okay with them doing things as-is. Gruden is getting a really good mix of personnel, which limits the snaps any one player will get but makes sure we have fresh people and a ton of different looks going on. Seems to be working anyway, which is no shock considering how much talent we have.

By any measure, it was a dream day for Mr. Jones. Good for him, am hopeful the resulting confidence brings him more success. If anything, it should open up chances to go back at AJ, and also detangle the running game a bit.

Getting Baby Hawk back now should also not be underestimated. They've had little help from the slot so far this year.

I'm okay with them doing things as-is. Gruden is getting a really good mix of personnel, which limits the snaps any one player will get but makes sure we have fresh people and a ton of different looks going on. Seems to be working anyway, which is no shock considering how much talent we have.

I'm not OK with it. Need to get Marvin more offensive snaps, and take him off the punt team too

if he's going to take heat off AJ, then he needs to actually be on the field.

I'm not OK with it. Need to get Marvin more offensive snaps, and take him off the punt team too

Or, perhaps, the reason he's been so wildly effective is due to the fact that he's used so sparingly.

It's a question where I'm more than happy to admit that I don't have the answer. Thankfully, it's the coaches making the call on this one.

I would agree they may want to limit their exposure to injury and move him off of teams. As to more snaps? I dunno. There's a lot of talented pass-catchers on the team and the more they can spread it around the harder we'll be to stop.

Slightly OT but: One thing that occurred to me thinking about this is that, like last season, the Bengals are making strides without needing big contributions from their rookies. That isn't to say guys like Gio and Eifert have not contributed, but they haven't been asked to become instant stars. Eifert has a modest 24 grabs for 293 yards and a score. Gio has a combined 524 yards and 4 TDs -- very solid play but his on-field time is being balanced with BJGE. Hunt has a single tackle.

Instead we're seeing continued development from second-year guys like Jones, Sanu (both already over their receiving totals from last year) and Burfict. Boling and Zeitler are getting better. And there have even been glimmers from Kirkpatrick.

This is, of course, how it's supposed to be done. I just never thought I'd ever see it done in Cincy.

I would agree they may want to limit their exposure to injury and move him off of teams. As to more snaps? I dunno. There's a lot of talented pass-catchers on the team and the more they can spread it around the harder we'll be to stop.

Slightly OT but: One thing that occurred to me thinking about this is that, like last season, the Bengals are making strides without needing big contributions from their rookies. That isn't to say guys like Gio and Eifert have not contributed, but they haven't been asked to become instant stars. Eifert has a modest 24 grabs for 293 yards and a score. Gio has a combined 524 yards and 4 TDs -- very solid play but his on-field time is being balanced with BJGE. Hunt has a single tackle.

Instead we're seeing continued development from second-year guys like Jones, Sanu (both already over their receiving totals from last year) and Burfict. Boling and Zeitler are getting better. And there have even been glimmers from Kirkpatrick.

This is, of course, how it's supposed to be done. I just never thought I'd ever see it done in Cincy.

Yeah, a similar thing was discussed on the radio last night with Artrell Hawkins.

Sometime after he retired he did a radio interview talking about what was wrong with the Bengals and what needed to be done to fix it. He essentially outlined a model for success that he observed while spending time in New England.

And last night, lo and behold, he was going on about how the Bengals right now are modeling all of the things that he said pretty perfectly. It's how an NFL organization should be run, and it's nice to see.

Indeed, but he's hardly the only guy who can fill that role. I would suggest that much like the D-line, a big part of our sudden offensive success is that we have real depth and a bunch of play makers. No reason to just rely on Marvin Jones when Eifert, Sanu and Gio can be just as explosive. Giving a bunch of different offensive packages breeds success and keeps defenses from figuring us out.

To bad he has some noodle armed QB throwing him the ball.

That guy sucks. <_</>/>

Seriously though, GREAT game for Marvin Jones !!!

Goes show either That Marvin is very special player himself or just how much attention AJ Commands.

Even Hulio Jones doesn't produce these numbers when he has Rodney White as their 1# WR.

PS,I Think it's mixture,Also don't see Marvin slowing down and only being 1-2 week wonder.

Another name not given much time ??

Sanzenbacher.

Most didn't have much use for him, but every time he has been given an opportunity, he makes good.

As a fan of tOSU, I love me some Sanzenbacher. I figured he wouldn't get much playing time, but you sure are correct in saying he's made good of it. That one-handed grab he had in... I think it was the Bills game, was pretty darned impressive. Each time his number gets called he's out there doing what he can. It's sure nice to have depth like we do.