Can you believe this s**t!?!

BengalszoneBilly

CINCINNATI -- Ken Griffey Jr. is out for the season.

The Reds announced during Wednesday's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers that Griffey has a complete tear of his right hamstring and will have surgery to reattach the tendon on Monday morning at Beacon Orthopedic Hospital in Cincinnati.

"It's similar to the injury he had to his left side three years ago," said team medical director Dr. Timothy Kremchek, who will perform the surgery. "That healed up without surgery, but to have a complete rupture off the bone, to continue to play baseball he'll need to have the hamstring reattached. He'll miss the remainder of the year and the hope is for him to be ready for Spring Training."

Griffey had been on the disabled list with a partial tear since July 11, and attempted to come back on Aug. 3.

According to Kremcheck, that's when Griffey tore the hamstring.

"He was doing great with the hamstring and he played a game out on the West Coast in San Francisco," explained the doctor. "He made a sliding play for a ball and actually hyperextended his left leg and re-aggravated his hamstring. When he came off the field it was tight and painful.

"It continued to be very tight and painful to him through the rest of the road trip and yesterday we had a chance to look at him and he had a noticeable change in his strength and how his hamstring felt. We immediately got and MRI scan, which showed that he had a complete rupture of the hamstring off the bone up where the hamstring originates. It's a grossly different injury than he had a month ago where it showed a partial tear. This is completely pulled off the bone."

really, you can't be surprised by this? He's damaged goods and will always be damaged goods...The Reds should have traded him when they had the chance....

Go Braves ;)

I like the guy a lot, and I've always pulled for him, but he just needs to retire. It's painful to watch :(

Oh, I don't know about retire...what he should have done is stay in the AL as a DH, all those years of playing great defense for the Mariners has taken its toll and the Reds have paid the price for it....

Go Braves :)

I like the guy a lot, and I've always pulled for him, but he just needs to retire.  It's painful to watch :(

Oh, I don't know about retire...what he should have done is stay in the AL as a DH, all those years of playing great defense for the Mariners has taken its toll and the Reds have paid the price for it....

Yeah, the DH would be a good idea.

I'm just really big on guys going out young. I loved Michael Jordan's second retirement after the 6th ring. I thought that was good timing. Barry Sanders was TOO early, but better than see him turn into someone like Emmit Smith...I wish he would have ended his carreer 3-4 season ago.

Still, you can't be entirely upset to see Willy Mo guaranteed a starter spot for the rest of the season. The kid needs all the experience he can get.

Willy Mo is the next Junior.. ok, that may be a little overstated this early in his career -- but there is definite good comparisons. Pena needs to work on his defensive skills and, well, it could be a plausible argument.

I like the guy a lot, and I've always pulled for him, but he just needs to retire.  It's painful to watch :(

YES!!! I agree with this totally. Just watch George Steina**h*** sign Grif as a DH next year--or something stupid like that.

Grif just shouldn't play centerfield anymore. It truly IS painful to watch and apparently, painful to play--according to Grif.