Old Lefthander forced into retirement....

The Brew Man

Nuxie came out and said that his retirement at the end of the year is a forced one...

http://reds.enquirer.com/2004/08/05/nuxhall805.rtf.html

What was supposed to be a nice little get-together to promote an upcoming book release has turned into a public relations nightmare for the Reds.

Joe Nuxhall, the longtime broadcaster and Reds legend, said Wednesday that the club forced him into retirement.

"I had to get it off my chest," Nuxhall, 76, said. "I had to get rid of it. It's been on my mind ever since it started."

It started after the 2002 season. Nuxhall's representative, Reuven Katz, went to the Reds to work out a two-year deal.

"They didn't want me to do ('04), honestly," Nuxhall said.

Katz was able to get chief operating officer John Allen to agree to allow Nuxhall to do 60 games - one for each year he worked for the Reds - in 2004.

"Reuven worked hard to get that," Nuxhall said.

Nuxhall and Katz later got Allen to increase Nuxhall's schedule to 80 games.

Nuxhall absolved Allen of blame. But he would not say that chief executive officer Carl Lindner was the one who is forcing his departure.

"It wasn't John Allen is all I'll say," Nuxhall said.

Lindner is the only one in the organization above Allen.

So, was it him?

"I don't know who it was," Nuxhall said. "I'm not going to comment until I find out."

Allen did not return a phone call Wednesday. Neither did Lindner's office. Reds spokesman Rob Butcher said the club would have no comment. Even Nuxhall's broadcast partner, Marty Brennaman, remained silent.

Nuxhall said he hopes to talk to Allen after the season about doing 15 to 20 games next year.

"But after all this, who knows?" Nuxhall said.

Nuxhall was surprised by all the controversy his statement created Wednesday.

"That's not why I did it," Nuxhall said.

He did not do it to sell books, either. All the money he makes off the book - Joe: Rounding Third and Heading for Home - goes to his charitable foundation.

He simply could not remain silent any longer.

"The last month or so have been really hard on him," said Nuxhall's son Kim. "He had a really hard time holding it in. You're talking about a 60-year career here. Everyone wants to go out on their own terms. It's unfortunate."

Nuxhall finally went public Wednesday at the Public Library in downtown Cincinnati for a gathering to promote the book.

"No one knew he was going to say this," said Greg Hoard, who wrote the book with Nuxhall. "It was supposed to be cake and punch. Then he said that. And bam! It exploded."

The book, due to come out in early September, does cover the subject.

"There's no finger-pointing," Hoard said. "Was I able to find out exactly what happened? No. The book is 300 pages. Maybe 15 to 20 are attached to this."

Word that Nuxhall was saying he was forced out was a major topic of conversation in the Reds clubhouse.

"That surprises me," said Reds captain Barry Larkin. "I thought Nuxie decided to get out on his own. Interesting."

Larkin's own retirement day was canceled at his request in July.

Larkin was not forced out as shortstop, he said, but his retirement day was the Reds' idea.

Since he has made it known he may want to play next season, he's heard nothing from the club.

"We haven't heard a word from them," said Eric Goldschmidt, Larkin's agent.

Does that surprise him?

"No," Goldschmidt said.

Why?

"No comment," he said.

This is Nuxhall's 38th year as a Reds broadcaster. He's worked the last 31 years with Brennaman.

Brennaman was inundated with calls seeking comment Wednesday. He declined.

"I've got nothing to add to what has already been said," Brennaman said.

Brennaman's contract is up after the season as well. He had no comment on whether he had been negotiating on a new one.

When Nuxhall and Brennaman signed their last contracts Nov. 1, 2002, speculation began that Nuxhall was being forced out.

Nuxhall gave credence to that argument by negotiating to do 20 more games after the 2003 season.

He's doing a total of about 80 games this year. His replacement, Steve Stewart, does the rest of the games. The plan is for Stewart to take over full time in 2005.

Nuxhall doesn't want a full- or even half-time job next season. He'd just like to keep his hand in it.

"He'll do whatever they offer him," Kim Nuxhall said. "If they want him to do half a season, he'll do half a season.

"He's found that this is his purpose. When you lose your purpose, it's hard. Playing golf is fine, but baseball was what he was meant to do."

That's unfortunate. If anything, he should have a quiet, riding in the sunset retirement. Not this. This is what we get for having an owner that puts finances over tradition and emotion... truly a sad era in Reds baseball.

I agree. Joe and Marty, are the voice of the Reds for me. I was saddened when I first heard he was retiring. Now,(if this is true) I'm pissed. This is just wrong. I can deal with the ups and downs of an organization. But, they have screwed with way too many traditions.

I feel I am losing interest in baseball altogether.

I think the suits thought that these changes could bring a new fan base.

Possibly, but I think they are alienating an awful lot of old true fans :(

That's unfortunate.  If anything, he should have a quiet, riding in the sunset retirement.  Not this.  This is what we get for having an owner that puts finances over tradition and emotion... truly a sad era in Reds baseball.

I agree. Joe and Marty, are the voice of the Reds for me. I was saddened when I first heard he was retiring. Now,(if this is true) I'm pissed. This is just wrong. I can deal with the ups and downs of an organization. But, they have screwed with way too many traditions.

I'm feeling just how Black'n'Orange expressed it here. It's a shame. :(

That's unfortunate.  If anything, he should have a quiet, riding in the sunset retirement.  Not this.  This is what we get for having an owner that puts finances over tradition and emotion... truly a sad era in Reds baseball.

Perfectly said.

Update to lefty's story.

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds officials said Thursday they want veteran broadcaster Joe Nuxhall to be with the team next season, just a day after the Old Lefthander said the team is forcing him out.

Nuxhall made the announcement Wednesday in downtown Cincinnati while promoting his new book, due out Sept. 1.

The Reds said Thursday they would like to have Nuxhall back in some capacity next year, though not as an everyday, season-long broadcaster. Reds officials said they had talks with Nuxhall this summer about broadcasting some spring training and regular-season games next year.

The Reds said Nuxhall's specific duties haven't been worked out, but that his many years of work for the organization are valued highly.

Nuxhall's representative, Reuven Katz, went to the Reds after the 2002 season with a plan to work out a two-year deal. Nuxhall said the Reds made it clear then that they didn't want him to do the 2004 season.

Katz persuaded John Allen, the Reds' chief operating officer, to agree to allow Nuxhall this season to do 60 games -- one for each year he's worked for the Reds. Nuxhall and Katz later got Allen to agree to increase Nuxhall's 2004 schedule to 80 games.

Nuxhall has worked the last 31 years with broadcast partner Marty Brennaman, whose contract also is up after this season.

Nuxhall said Wednesday that it's not Allen who's pushing him out, but wouldn't specify exactly who is, WLWT Eyewitness News 5 reported.

All-time hit king Pete Rose told George Vogel Thursday that he's surprised about the recent development.

"Joe's a landmark in the area," Rose said. "Joe's one of the most likable people in Cincinnati, if not the most likable. I can't believe someone with the Reds would do this. Not to Joe Nuxhall."

Nuxhall added that he'd like to do a handful of games next season, as the team continues to break-in newcomer in the booth Steve Stewart.

"It would be fun to do," Nuxhall said. "I don't know -- maybe 15, 20 or 30 games."

Reds insider: Has Lindner had enough? By Jon Fay, Cincy Equirer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuxhall soap opera had potential to be last straw for oft-criticized CEO

Shortly after the Joe Nuxhall mess started, I honestly thought it could lead to Carl Lindner selling the Reds.

Since things have calmed down and Nuxhall himself has tried to sweep it away, I think that's less likely.

But it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Lindner is not a man who needs more aggravation in his life, and my guess is the Reds are creating much more aggravation than joy for the CEO.

Lindner was lustily booed on Opening Day. Based on the e-mail I get and the talk radio I listen to, he is the chief target of Reds fans' frustration. And they are a frustrated group.

And all that was before the Nuxhall episode.

So what's it going to be like the next time Lindner shows up to use his seats?

Cincinnati fans are generally polite, and Lindner is a respected figure. But many fans forget about his philanthropy, look past the fact that he gave away all those student ticket vouchers and see only a man who cut the payroll by $15 million this year.

Then came the "little episode" with Joe. Nuxhall said - without naming names - that Lindner tried to force him out. In Cincinnati, a guy who tried to push aside Santa Claus would be more popular.

Nuxhall is unarguably the most beloved figure employed by the Reds. Nuxhall is a celebrity without ego. An Everyday Joe who happened to be a tremendous athlete. You can argue his merits as a play-by-play man, but the fact is the vast majority of Cincinnati fans like to listen to him.

So when Lindner tried to end Nuxhall's radio days - and you have to assume he did, because the Reds haven't denied Nuxhall's assertion - Lindner started a battle he could not win.

And it seems to me, Lindner has no chance of winning back the Reds fans' - short of a tremendous bump in the player payroll.

Winning heals all wounds in sports. But if the payroll stays in the $46 million range, it's hard to imagine the team competing in the $90 million world of the National League Central.

So could all this lead to change in ownership? Only Lindner knows, and he isn't talking.

What we do know is the Reds are in the early stages of trying to turn around the franchise.

They were very clear about that when they hired Dan O'Brien as general manger.

O'Brien's long-range plan might work. But we won't know until 2006 at the earliest.

That means the Reds are likely to create a lot more aggravation in the near future for Lindner before they bring any more joy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Carl...for your sake, the Reds sake, and the fans sake: Get the hell out of baseball!! You may be a successful business man, but in baseball you simply SUCK! :angry:

Brennaman kicks the Cincinnati Reds Managements collective asses!! Unbelievably it looks like the will of the people was heard here. :o

Marty Brennaman signs contract extension

Radio voice of the Reds inked through 2007

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds chief operating officer John Allen today announced that Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman has signed a 3-year contract extension through the 2007 season.

Brennaman, 62, is the lead voice of the Reds on 700 WLW Radio. The Reds Radio Network is one of the largest in professional sports, with 51 affiliates covering six states and anchored by the 50,000-watt WLW.

This season, Brennaman is sharing the broadcast booth with Reds Hall of Famer Joe Nuxhall and Steve Stewart. Brennaman and Nuxhall are celebrating their 31st seasons together as the longest-running duo in baseball history, while Stewart is new to the radio team this year. Brennaman joined the Reds prior to the 1974 season.

Currently in his 40th season as a broadcaster, Brennaman received the Ford C. Frick Award on July 23, 2000, in ceremonies at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. The award is presented each year by the Hall of Fame to a broadcaster "for major contributions to the game of baseball." Brennaman, Red Barber (WSAI, 1934-38) and Russ Hodges (WFBE, 1932) are the only Reds announcers ever to receive the Hall of Fame's prestigious broadcasting award.

Brennaman has been named Ohio Sportscaster of the Year 12 times. He won the Virginia Sportscaster of the Year Award four times while broadcasting basketball games for the American Basketball Association's Virginia Squires, baseball games for the New York Mets' Class AAA affiliate in Norfolk and football games for both Virginia Tech and William & Mary.

He also has broadcast games during the NCAA's men's basketball tournament, including 15 regional tournaments and 11 Final Fours.

Man, does this f**king suck!!!!! Nux makes Reds Radio what it is--er--was!!!

f**k Carl Lindner. Here's to hoping "Bernie" Lindner dies of a heart attack soon.

B) Man .... I'm glad you said what I was thinking. I'd never seriously wish anyone dead ...... BUT ................. if Uncle Cracker was to be shaking hands with Marge in the Happy Hunting Ground any time soon, I don't think there'd be a lot Reds fans crying over it.