Dante Hall

jmac0355

While at the Bengals game against the Texans last sunday, did anyone else notice that the punter/kicker had to make two tackles to prevent a touchdown return? I noticed this, and then just now, I realized that KC has Dante Hall who might be one of the best ever at punt/kick returns. Is anyone else worried about this or are the Bengals going to sort this special teams mess out this week in practice?

boys.... it's sad to say......but our special teams play is, well, rather un-special......we don't execute and tackle... and we don't block and run for ourselves......this could present a very sad day......however...on the up side......we're over-due to rise to the occasion....and this could be the game..........imagine that.... our special teams out playing their well proclaimed excellence!!!!!!!!!! you know it just may be in the cards...... pw breaks a game winner late in the 4th quarter.........what a way to go................

While at the Bengals game against the Texans last sunday, did anyone else notice that the punter/kicker had to make two tackles to prevent a touchdown return? I noticed this, and then just now, I realized that KC has Dante Hall who might be one of the best ever at punt/kick returns. Is anyone else worried about this or are the Bengals going to sort this special teams mess out this week in practice?

Yeah .... I think we've all noticed Mr. Hall. The only thing I can think to do would be to sqib it towards a corner or try the old Raider trick of putting helium in the ball. Either of those might give us a few extra seconds to get down there.

It was 50% hustle and 50% luck that he didn't get his 5th td last week. Gotta give credit where its due, the guy is amazing.

Yup, Dante is having a hell of a year (insert rim shot here). Best way to stop him is to keep the ball out of his hands, and the best way to do that is for Shayne Graham to boom the ball through the back of the end zone every kickoff.

Maybe knowing he's set here for the season -- AZ signed Rackers yesterday -- will loosen him up Sunday. Maybe we need a chant for the guy. How about:

"Touch back, Shane, touch back!!!"

Im sorry Joisey, but I dont see Graham booming alot out of the zone unfortunatley, so I prefer the squib kick option. Squib it up the middle and concede field positon a little, (not too much). I dont want Hall touching the ball.

I don't see many touchback attempts. More likely, they will kick to the corners to make him move, and/or kick shorter high ones to put hte coverage team in his pants before he catches it.

Not sure though. Even if Shayne told me, I couldn't say in case KC ears were listening.

Why not try the surprise onside? We're worried about conceding field position, I could see Marv attempting to get the ball.

Nobody's tried it on KC this year. We haven't tried it on anyone. Everyone's been scared to since the Philly/Dallas game when it blew up in Philly's face.

It keeps the ball away from Dante and gives us a shot at a free posession.

Big worry: Chiefs defense causes turnovers. A lot of them. Kitna has to be on point.

Note: This is not a knock on Kitna, he's played very solid most of the year. But he can't turn in another game like he did against AZ here.

Why not try the surprise onside? We're worried about conceding field position, I could see Marv attempting to get the ball.

Nobody's tried it on KC this year. We haven't tried it on anyone. Everyone's been scared to since the Philly/Dallas game when it blew up in Philly's face.

I think you answered your own question. NFL coaches as a group, are quick learners. Even new ones. No way coach Lewis does something like that.

Obviously putting it thru the end zone is the best idea. Moonlight might have the leg for it or not. I really don't know. Failing that, high and to either side ( something he IS known for ) and alternating with squibs ( San Fran killed us with that in the Super Bowl) seem to be a couple of our better options. Of the two, I would go for the higher kicks for 2 reasons. #1 it gives the coverage time to get in on him, and #2 The thing about Hall is that he sees so good. Instead of hitting holes, he sees where the blockers are vs the coverage and heads for where he thinks the hole WILL be. As you can tell by his success ( is that right ?? I can never spell that ) he's usually right. He's also great at improvising. If he has to keep track of a high kick, it should impede his ability to get a handle on the coverage.

This is one of those times where I'm glad that I get to sit and watch and 2nd guess and not really have to worry about really doing the job.