Can the Bengals make a deep playoff run in 2012?

Arkansas Bengal

Off the Record

I always compare the elite teams the Bengals when the season ends. The Bengals surprised everyone when they made the playoffs this season with a young roster. But can the Bengals compete with the big boys when it counts? I believe the Bengals are in line to take the next step in the NFL, but they have to improve their roster. They need to focus on the DL ala the New York Giants. The Bengals DL was the strength of the team for most of the year but they need to continue to add to that. And their current players on the DL needs to get better. There also needs to be major upgrades in the secondary. I’m not to impressed with that group. The LBs are just OK, but the Giants prove that you can win without star LBs.

Offensively the Bengals have to find a way to score more points. I think they are in between being a power offense, and a high octane offense with some pretty good young skill players. They have been bad offensively for the past few years. Too many games are close when they don’t have to be and I put that on the offense lack of scoring when it counts. But there is lots of talent to build on, so that’s a good thing.

The special teams are solid and you can win with this group.

The coaching is good, not great. Even though I think that this coaching staff gets a lot of of their players, they need to take more risks. They play it close to the vest sometimes and I don’t think the roster is set up for that. The Patriots know they don’t have a super talented roster so they go out on the limb with in game and roster decisions. So I think the Bengals coaches and front office can learn from that.

The future looks good for Cincinnati. Next year can be a big year if they take advantage of their many draft picks and cap space to spend on players.

The coaching is good, not great. Even though I think that this coaching staff gets a lot of of their players, they need to take more risks.

This. Too much talent rots away on the sideline while the coaching staff fusses over practice habits, attitudes and alleged lack of experience/still learning excuses. It's not f**king rocket science. Either the guy can play or he can't, and if he can't cut him and get someone else.

Pretty worthless writing on Thornton's part. Makes it sound like he really doesn't know much more football than his own position. Why would he say that the DL needs to be upgraded and not even mention the woeful O-line?

He thinks the coaching is good?

It's full of generalities and I think most of us could have cranked out a piece of similar quality in about 15 mins

What's that ?? If we score more points than the opposition more often, then we can win more games ??

F*CKING BRILLIANT !!! Why didn't I think of that ??

Seriously though it doesn't take much to see both of our lines need upgrades and the secondary is a wreck.

It also doesn't take much to figure out that things can improve if they hit on their picks and make some moves in free agency.

What's that ?? If we score more points than the opposition more often, then we can win more games ??

F*CKING BRILLIANT !!! Why didn't I think of that ??

Seriously though it doesn't take much to see both of our lines need upgrades and the secondary is a wreck.

It also doesn't take much to figure out that things can improve if they hit on their picks and make some moves in free agency.

I think the D-line is stronger than it's been in a long, long time. I don't see that as a weakness. There are far bigger holes such as OG, LB, CB, S and #2 WR

I think the D-line is stronger than it's been in a long, long time. I don't see that as a weakness. There are far bigger holes such as OG, LB, CB, S and #2 WR

Maybe. Depends on how FA goes. Rucker, Fanene and Sims are all free agents. Our run D took a nosedive after Sims got knocked out with his ankle injury, so I'd like to see him back, but if he doesn't return we will need to find a replacement. Rucker played pretty well in 2011 but he's got a long history of injury issues so I'm not sure how many eggs they're prepared to put in that basket. Fanene wants a bigger paycheck and he will certainly test the waters in March. I don't think he'll be back.

All of our free agent D-linemen can be replaced and fairly easily in my opinion.

Next, just because we do well with what we have doesn't mean we can't look to upgrade.

If there is a chance to get a dominant edge rusher in FA or the draft, they should do it.

You can't hope your LB's will be the ones applying that pressure all the time.

I think they have something nice with the pressure Atkins gave and think Dunlap will be right back in it again, but after that, we could and SHOULD upgrade if the opportunity presents itself. I think the Giants would agree.

All of our free agent D-linemen can be replaced and fairly easily in my opinion.

I thought I heard someone whistling past a graveyard earlier today...

Well unless you feel Rucker and Fanene are world beaters and rank better than many FA DT's that will be available than cool. However, even Sims doesn't rank that high in the DT FA rankings, even though I see him coming back. My thought is, the DT position isn't a priority in my book.

I think his point is that the D-line is good but if it was dominant the Bengals could easily make that next step.

I agree. The problem is that the Bengals overvalue mediocre talent too often. Robert Geathers is a great example. Signed to a long term extension. I'm not even sold on Micheal Johnson and Dunlap yet. Too inconsistent. Peko is servicable. Atkins is the only thing we have close to a stud on that defensive line.

It all starts on the lines. Both sides of the ball can be improved. Need another solid DT and a STUD DE at least to get this defense to the next level.

Another thing to consider with this defense is how comfortable do you feel with them going against good to great offenses? Throw the stats and the rankings out.

Be honest here. I know we're sitting with one of the better defenses for the Bengals in the last 20 years. However, going up against the better teams with "pretty good" offenses and they didn't show up!

Baltimore x2

Pittsburgh x2

Houston x2

They didn't play anyone this season that was a great offense. So the way I see it, is that until that defensive line gets much improved, we're going to get beat at the line of scrimmage by better teams. Meaning, no deep playoff run.

I thought I heard someone whistling past a graveyard earlier today...

Well unless you feel Rucker and Fanene are world beaters and rank better than many FA DT's that will be available than cool. However, even Sims doesn't rank that high in the DT FA rankings, even though I see him coming back. My thought is, the DT position isn't a priority in my book.

My issue is that historically the Bengals haven't been particularly good at swapping out parts. Look at what happened with Housh. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to replace a No. 2 wideout, right? Yet after spending tons in FA and throwing draft picks at the problem as well, here we are yet again mulling over taking a WR early this April or chasing a guy like Bowe in FA.

Losing Rucker and/or Fanene I can probably live with. But I want Sims back. He's better than those rankings indicate.

Don't get me wrong, I want Sims back as well, but not really because I think he's so much better than the rankings indicate, but rather he's used properly with what our defense is trying to do and I'm cool with that. DE is one of those positions I would love to see them make a move with, but I don't see it happening. There are guys in FA that I would love and guys in the draft as well.

But, when listening to the coaches, what you find is how they say they value guys like Geathers and how the young guys are going to really come along with Dunlap and Johnson. Minus Dunlap, I don't really care about the others much more. We keep waiting.........

I'm not comfortable with them going against power offenses in any way at this point. Not enough pass rush and questionable (that's being nice) secondary. I think they lose more than they win at this point in time. Fortunately, there's opportunity to improve.

Don't get me wrong, I want Sims back as well, but not really because I think he's so much better than the rankings indicate, but rather he's used properly with what our defense is trying to do and I'm cool with that. DE is one of those positions I would love to see them make a move with, but I don't see it happening. There are guys in FA that I would love and guys in the draft as well.

But, when listening to the coaches, what you find is how they say they value guys like Geathers and how the young guys are going to really come along with Dunlap and Johnson. Minus Dunlap, I don't really care about the others much more. We keep waiting.........

I'm not comfortable with them going against power offenses in any way at this point. Not enough pass rush and questionable (that's being nice) secondary. I think they lose more than they win at this point in time. Fortunately, there's opportunity to improve.

Other than Atkins none of the DL had great individual stats but instead worked well as a unit. If you can think back, once Sims got hurt, the D-line did not perform near as well as had been.

That's what I am saying. It's not that he's so great of a player, but he's used well at what he does best and that helps the rest of the line with what the defense is trying to do. That being said, it's not he was playing 3 downs at DT either, so you can't overvalue that by any stretch either. Peko and Atkins are going to get the majority and as long as that stays that way, i'm not real high on going DT early in the draft. And again, I would be more than happy getting Sims to return and not have to worry much about DT outside of added depth.

Again, I think it's just to difficult to say what position we take in the draft.

Once FA kicks off, it will be easier to figure out.

Right now, CB is an ABSOLUTE along with OG. If nothing is done with those positions in FA they HAVE to be taken within the first 3 picks in the first 2 rounds. After that, S, WR, DT, DE, and OLB could all be in the mix. We also can't forget the extra 5th we get in the Chad trade. If nothing else, it can be used for added depth on either line.

Again, I think it's just to difficult to say what position we take in the draft.

Right now, CB is an ABSOLUTE along with OG. If nothing is done with those positions in FA they HAVE to be taken within the first 3 picks in the first 2 rounds. After that, S, WR, DT, DE, and OLB could all be in the mix. We also can't forget the extra 5th we get in the Chad trade. If nothing else, it can be used for added depth on either line.

The 5th rounder for Chad this yr is nice but the hilarious part is we get a 6th rounder in next year's draft too...all for a total of 15 catches in 15 games this yr

You know what's interesting about the CB position is looking at the Giants. They were DECIMATED at CB beginning with injuries starting in the pre-season. What got them into the playoffs and the SB? A great pass rush.

And while I'm not saying don't draft a CB, if a stud DE should fall to us, I'd be all about taking him.

Yeah, i've made that point about DE as well. A guy like Mercilus out of Illinois could be there in that range we pick.

No, I wouldn't be complaining about that either.

Right, and like you I do think that the D-line is very good. However, as we saw with Sims going down it is more of a team unit, as you said. This makes me think that we need more studs. More standouts. Pass rushers are a good place to start.

I guess we'll know more after FA starts what the Bengals are going to do.

I think that's why FA could be so vital this season and with that kind of cap space, it would be foolish to hamstring themselves the way they appear to be at this point in time. There are some other DE's out there that could be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but I simply don't think they will be much better than what we have in a Michael Johnson. Not that I don't like him. Just saying.